Rivals plan Fox News-style opinionated TV station in UK

Started by Dynamis, August 29, 2020, 10:45:50 AM

« previous - next »

Forum admin

Any more ridiculous spamming and bullying like that and there will be infractions. You've had your Sunday fun. Thanks.

Nalaar

Mod Notice

Topic locked - Thread overrun with User infighting rather than discussion of the topic.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on August 29, 2020, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: Borchester on August 29, 2020, 12:22:04 PM

Well no, I don't.Picasso was once asked to contribute to a fund for starving artists and he said nah, bollocks to them, they produce their best work when they are hungry. So I am following the great man's advice and doing what I can to support the arts.

That said, what is this quality TV lark? I don't want quality TV, I want the cheerful crap that the Yanks produce by the yard. I have just binge watched noth seasons of the Kominsky Method, most of Season 5 of Lucifer, the 90 odd episodes of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and am currently rewatching the Big Bang Theory. There are twelve episodes of the latter so that should fill the hungry gap until TV America brings up the relief column.

If Auntie spent less time being a national treasure and more producing programmes the viewers want to see it would not be in its current mess.

Well you know how bad things are getting when they have to go cap in hand to beg smurf in the duchy of cornwall for a few quid of his vast investments to keep auntie in the comfort she is accustomed to .

Funny as feck watching aunite struggle. The final death throes of that old pillar of the community , the bbc , can't come soon enough for the vast majority.

Borkie's post reminds me a bit of this 1m46s in roughly..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tUqRBiMVo&t=1m&47s

And the earier bit: "Yes sir do you havea cliched thought for us?"

"..I just ...don't understand that Tracy Emin art".

:)
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 29, 2020, 12:22:04 PM

If Auntie spent less time being a national treasure and more producing programmes the viewers want to see it would not be in its current mess.

I watch very little UK based television. The £200 I paid for a motorised satellite system was well worth it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on August 29, 2020, 12:01:23 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on August 29, 2020, 12:00:34 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 11:44:48 AM

One problem is that better quality stuff requires shelling out the dosh, could be exorbitant if you are inquisitive. There are a lot of paywalls in online newspapers these days.

I am not paying for lies and propaganda.

dont you pay for the tv licence?

Well no, I don't.Picasso was once asked to contribute to a fund for starving artists and he said nah, bollocks to them, they produce their best work when they are hungry. So I am following the great man's advice and doing what I can to support the arts.

That said, what is this quality TV lark? I don't want quality TV, I want the cheerful crap that the Yanks produce by the yard. I have just binge watched noth seasons of the Kominsky Method, most of Season 5 of Lucifer, the 90 odd episodes of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and am currently rewatching the Big Bang Theory. There are twelve episodes of the latter so that should fill the hungry gap until TV America brings up the relief column.

Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

One problem is that better quality stuff requires shelling out the dosh, could be exorbitant if you are inquisitive. There are a lot of paywalls in online newspapers these days.

A subscription to a high quality journal costs an arm and a leg. A subscription to something like foreign affairs mag (I like that one a lot) is something like 40£ a year.

There are good free ones out there but they have piecemeal info.
+++

Thomas

dont you pay for the tv licence?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 29, 2020, 11:03:34 AM

Which accounts for the terrible state of politics in Britain today.

Ahh yes pappy , more of the labour party "the public are too stupid to think for themselves" tropes?( i know i know you arent in the labour party ;D)

There are many reasons why politics are the way they are today , and some might say things are actually improving from the bad old days of labour tory tennis , but whatever you belive the media are only a fraction of influence on the way people think and vote.( unfortunately for the politicians)

Your generation for example used to be widely led by the nose by the media and pillars of the community like the bbc , my generation less so , and the younger generation barely even watch the bbc and dont buy newspapers , and get most of their information online through the likes of social media.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 29, 2020, 10:54:10 AM

So now we will have a propaganda and lies TV News channel to complement the propaganda and lies "news" papers.

We already do , its called the BBC.

Nothing wrong with a bit more propaganda , the more the merrier i say.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on August 29, 2020, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 10:59:38 AM

We already do, is called 'all of them', but yeah this will supplement all of them and their propaganda rubbish.

The only half reliable sources these days seem to be essays from studenty types and proper political journals, everything else is crap.

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 10:59:38 AM

We already do, is called 'all of them', but yeah this will supplement all of them and their propaganda rubbish.

The only half reliable sources these days seem to be essays from studenty types and proper political journals, everything else is crap.

Nalaar

Channel 4, and ITV already have well established News Broadcasts that I can't see going anywhere anytime soon...so as mentioned in the link this'll likely end up as some sort of Internet show.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on August 29, 2020, 10:54:10 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 10:45:50 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/aug/29/rivals-plan-fox-news-style-opinionated-tv-station-in-uk

This will be fun. As if tv isn't shite enough as it is.

So now we will have a propaganda and lies TV News channel to complement the propaganda and lies "news" papers.

+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on August 29, 2020, 10:45:50 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/aug/29/rivals-plan-fox-news-style-opinionated-tv-station-in-uk

This will be fun. As if tv isn't shite enough as it is.