The ones who walk away from Omelas

Started by Nalaar, May 06, 2020, 02:29:21 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts post_id=23716 time=1588934828 user_id=54
Once again I wonder what your point is. I read this when you first posted it and have mulled it over since. Are you saying that this is what is wrong with the world and that we should change it? If this is so then I would have thought that that was what everyone feels and to different extents we mostly try to do so. Are you trying to say that the world is a facade and beneath the surface lurks evil? Surely we all realise that. You must have a reason to show us this passage so why?

I think we instinctively reject the idea that Omelas is a good place. We also reject the idea that the citizens are good people. However I think we struggle to be critical of them without being much more critical of our society, and ourselves individually.

Asking if the happiness of each citizen of Omelas is worth the misery of one, imposes on us to ask what our happiness is worth. How much misery is worth your happiness?
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=23601 time=1588771761 user_id=99
Sharing a short story that I first heard about a year ago, and was recently reminded of again - it hits remarkably hard for such a short piece (maybe 15 minutes to read) for both it's imagined ethical implications, and it's real world mirroring.

Please take the time to read The ones who walk away from Omelas, by Ursula Le Guin

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf">//https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

Once again I wonder what your point is. I read this when you first posted it and have mulled it over since. Are you saying that this is what is wrong with the world and that we should change it? If this is so then I would have thought that that was what everyone feels and to different extents we mostly try to do so. Are you trying to say that the world is a facade and beneath the surface lurks evil? Surely we all realise that. You must have a reason to show us this passage so why?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=23601 time=1588771761 user_id=99
Sharing a short story that I first heard about a year ago, and was recently reminded of again - it hits remarkably hard for such a short piece (maybe 15 minutes to read) for both it's imagined ethical implications, and it's real world mirroring.

Please take the time to read The ones who walk away from Omelas, by Ursula Le Guin

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf">//https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

Um...(..)

.. And it's from utilitarianism.com. This Ursula lass seems to like Taoism and harsh religious stuff, and almost utilitarian ideologies.

I apologize but I also didn't find it a very thought provoking read.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=23706 time=1588930575 user_id=99
Did you read the short story? Have you a comment to make about it?

I don't have a comment I could make on an internet forum.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=23705 time=1588930089 user_id=89
Britain now works on the mushroom system, keep the bastards in the dark and sh*t on them once a week.

Did you read the short story? Have you a comment to make about it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=23700 time=1588927202 user_id=99
How do you think it compares to the structure of our society?

Britain now works on the mushroom system, keep the bastards in the dark and shit on them once a week.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=23696 time=1588903817 user_id=63
OK so I read it.

And I have to say, I've never heard of a city more fitting to receive the full measure of one of my battlefield tactical nuclear weapons followed by clusterbombs set to deliver a ricin airburst to make absolutely, definitely, totally sure we exterminate every last one of the inhabitants and turn the place into radioactive molten slag.

Is that emotive enough for you ??

A society structured to exist as that one does has no right to exist. End of.

How do you think it compares to the structure of our society?

johnofgwent

OK so I read it.

And I have to say, I've never heard of a city more fitting to receive the full measure of one of my battlefield tactical nuclear weapons followed by clusterbombs set to deliver a ricin airburst to make absolutely, definitely, totally sure we exterminate every last one of the inhabitants and turn the place into radioactive molten slag.

Is that emotive enough for you ??

A society structured to exist as that one does has no right to exist. End of.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester post_id=23692 time=1588886052 user_id=62
If everyone is laughing and singing while doing nothing about a child' suffering, then it is a stretch to call Omelas a city of happiness.

Is it?

Most people have forgotten about the child, or don't think about it.  

The people can be happy, while the child suffers.

Borchester

If everyone is laughing and singing while doing nothing about a child' suffering, then it is a stretch to call Omelas a city of happiness.

Ursula Le Gunn was into Zen Buddhism, which is usually a euphemism for someone who has just come out of rehab.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

I downloaded this when you first posted it and just got around to reading it.

Strange stuff.
† The end is nigh †

Nalaar