How to really freak a green out - Russian nuclear batteries

Started by Baron von Lotsov, October 21, 2019, 01:15:08 AM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=1914 time=1571773184 user_id=70
Few technology companies live longer than the lifespan of the average human being. Even conglomerates gathered under the vision of one architect are likely to radically alter or disappear after he/she leaves the scene...

That's right. Interestingly the one that seems to be star at the moment is DJI. They make robotic drones. Now thinking about what robotic drones could do, one can easily see how their firm sees huge skyscrapers being built to accommodate their expansion. It's a totally new industry which never existed before, and it does not have anything to do with ipods or ipads. These things are mass market so the profit will drop out of it for Apple.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=1910 time=1571771746 user_id=74
There are two ways you can run a business. You either use protectionist measures or you compete on price/performance. Clearly a universal connector saves your customer money and so you become more competitive. This is what greens do not understand. Proper capitalism optimises the design to be the most efficient, hence the most green, because it is less material = less cost. For example, that "evil" company known as Huawei have developed a new kind of alloy for their base station enclosures, and this is lighter, stronger and cheaper stuff. The figure is a 30% reduction on the material used. It was sussed out by a researcher from Oxford University. You probably never hear of these things, but just to say capitalist industry is already doing it. They have overtaken Apple in mobile phone sales. Apple will be history before long.

Few technology companies live longer than the lifespan of the average human being. Even conglomerates gathered under the vision of one architect are likely to radically alter or disappear after he/she leaves the scene...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=1898 time=1571768716 user_id=75
Electronics goods producers are increasingly moving away from standardised components and accessories in favour of propriety stuff that forces consumers to buy overpriced products. I can't see the likes of Apple or Samsung adopting a universal power source, not least be cause it would require standardisation.

I agree that it's potentially a good idea but I don't see it being adopted by industry.

There are two ways you can run a business. You either use protectionist measures or you compete on price/performance. Clearly a universal connector saves your customer money and so you become more competitive. This is what greens do not understand. Proper capitalism optimises the design to be the most efficient, hence the most green, because it is less material = less cost. For example, that "evil" company known as Huawei have developed a new kind of alloy for their base station enclosures, and this is lighter, stronger and cheaper stuff. The figure is a 30% reduction on the material used. It was sussed out by a researcher from Oxford University. You probably never hear of these things, but just to say capitalist industry is already doing it. They have overtaken Apple in mobile phone sales. Apple will be history before long.

Ciaphas

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=1893 time=1571767744 user_id=74
What you do is develop a standard connector. One bit is the phone itself and the other bit is the battery, and all mobiles conform to the same standard, hence you buy the mobile without a battery and use your own.

By the way, recycling would become virtually a thing of the past, since think how often you have to replace a battery today and compare to this spec and you'll have the proportion that recycling would diminish by. Also with tougher materials, such as graphene, you could find products lasting a lifetime. I think graphene is the strongest substance known to man.

Electronics goods producers are increasingly moving away from standardised components and accessories in favour of propriety stuff that forces consumers to buy overpriced products. I can't see the likes of Apple or Samsung adopting a universal power source, not least be cause it would require standardisation.

I agree that it's potentially a good idea but I don't see it being adopted by industry.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=1833 time=1571759960 user_id=75
I know what half-life means.

How many domestic/medical electrical devices need a power source that will potentially last 100+ years? Most people seem to replace their mobile phones every few years so unless mobile phone producers put in place a system of recycling these batteries they'll just end up in a drawer or landfill somewhere.

It's an interesting idea but I don't see how it fits with the current obsolescence culture.

What you do is develop a standard connector. One bit is the phone itself and the other bit is the battery, and all mobiles conform to the same standard, hence you buy the mobile without a battery and use your own.

By the way, recycling would become virtually a thing of the past, since think how often you have to replace a battery today and compare to this spec and you'll have the proportion that recycling would diminish by. Also with tougher materials, such as graphene, you could find products lasting a lifetime. I think graphene is the strongest substance known to man.

papasmurf

Relevant article:-

https://thebarentsobserver.com/ru/node/636">https://thebarentsobserver.com/ru/node/636

Russia develops new nuclear battery for remote Arctic
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Ciaphas

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=1821 time=1571758051 user_id=74
It means that even after 100 years the batteries will still be giving out about half their full power, i.e. 5 time that of a chemical cell. You could pass them on to your grandchildren. In a 100 years a mobile is sure to be at least double the energy efficiency.

I know what half-life means.

How many domestic/medical electrical devices need a power source that will potentially last 100+ years? Most people seem to replace their mobile phones every few years so unless mobile phone producers put in place a system of recycling these batteries they'll just end up in a drawer or landfill somewhere.

It's an interesting idea but I don't see how it fits with the current obsolescence culture.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=1631 time=1571672653 user_id=75
It seems they don't know what 'half-life' means.

It means that even after 100 years the batteries will still be giving out about half their full power, i.e. 5 time that of a chemical cell. You could pass them on to your grandchildren. In a 100 years a mobile is sure to be at least double the energy efficiency.

Ciaphas

Wiggles

Most Green's have their heart in the right place, but are so naive it's incredible. They are desperate to get rid of the petrol car, but haven't given a thought to how we get rid of millions of large car batteries. They campaign and disrupt people going about their daily business, expecting to get support. They honestly believe anything we do in this tiny country can make a difference to the world's climate. For God's sake, only a fool believes that we are not damaging the planet, but the way they are going about things is crazy. OK, I am going to simplify things for us all. The average human being creates two tons of carbon dioxide a year, so that means on average we will produce about 170 tons in a lifetime. If we double the amount of human beings on the planet we will double the emissions, if we halve the amount of human beings we will halve the emissions. Of course, the emissions we produce is only a very small part of the problem. The more of us there are, the bigger the infrastructure we require, the more food we need, the more land we will have to destroy. Yes. it goes on and on and on. Regrettably we appear more interested in keeping people alive longer than actually controlling the world population. As long as world leaders keep their heads in the sand, anything we do is going to be a futile waist of time.
A hand up, not a hand out

Baron von Lotsov

They last for about 100 years, are not radioactive and produce ten times the power of a chemical cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3nHrAki9o">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ3nHrAki9o

It's the kind of thing I would like to take along to a green festival and try and sell them.