Main Menu

THE NHS

Started by Wiggles, May 10, 2020, 09:36:14 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=24870 time=1589646691 user_id=103
Why does "outwith" always remind me of Gordon Brown?

Definitely a Scots saying. They also tend to say - You have got more money that I, when the English versions is more money than I.

Then there's "The NHS should of got more PPE", when English is "The NHS should have got more PPE".

Schooling isn't what it was back in the day, HQQ!  :)
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Thomas post_id=23933 time=1589101260 user_id=58
. . . .(outwith you control our purse strings unfortunately) . . .

Why does "outwith" always remind me of Gordon Brown?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=24823 time=1589568564 user_id=62
?

You don't get many schwarzers driving black cabs. That said, they are a lot pricier than mini cabs. That is the problem with bigotry, it tends to be expensive

Quite.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24771 time=1589545621 user_id=89
With white taxi drivers as rare as rocking horse poo, he must have a long wait.

?

You don't get many schwarzers driving black cabs. That said, they are a lot pricier than mini cabs. That is the problem with bigotry, it tends to be expensive
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=24770 time=1589545469 user_id=87
I will. I have friend who always asks for a white driver when he orders a cab. Very funny, but I don't know how he gets away with it.

With white taxi drivers as rare as rocking horse poo, he must have a long wait.

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24722 time=1589532504 user_id=89
Well if Wiggles ends up in hospital he can insist he is not treated by any foreigners.

I will. I have friend who always asks for a white driver when he orders a cab. Very funny, but I don't know how he gets away with it.
A hand up, not a hand out

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24722 time=1589532504 user_id=89
Well if Wiggles ends up in hospital he can insist he is not treated by any foreigners.

The last time I saw a British nurse in a London hospital was Shirley Eaton in Carry on Nurse in 1959.

By and large I have found the NHS to staffed by decent, competent mechanics. But they aren't gods or goddesses and treating them as such is not doing anyone any good.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=24717 time=1589531892 user_id=51

Your assertion that we have far to (sic) many incompetent foreigners on the wards is therefore a moot point, not worthy of its xenophobia.

Barry

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=24708 time=1589526616 user_id=87
That's right. People with banners up at their windows, clapping outside their houses on a Thursday night, meanwhile the NHS is allowing thousands of people to die. I blame the fact we have far to many incompetent foreigners on the wards.

We know you like to post for a reaction, Wiggles, so I'll bite.

Of course the NHS is allowing thousands of people to die. It always has. That is because the NHS can only do so much. What has happened in this crisis is that people have come to the stark realisation that neither the government nor the NHS can protect them from their ultimate demise.

Your assertion that we have far to (sic) many incompetent foreigners on the wards is therefore a moot point, not worthy of its xenophobia.
† The end is nigh †

B0ycey

The OP is outrageous. Does the poster really think we shouldn't clap because we have had the most deaths in Europe? It is more down to appreciation for the NHS. That is people actually like not going bankrupt and being looked after when they are sick rather than a political narrative.

Wiggles

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=24644 time=1589471134 user_id=103
I don't think underfunding of the NHS was the main reason the UK has been so badly affected by covid-19 (and I say this as a 'leftie'). If our government had tackled the pandemic here more vigorously at a much earlier stage, it wouldn't have been that costly compared to the way things are panning out. Most countries were caught unawares by covid-19 because hardly anyone realised how much people could spread the infection before they'd developed any symptoms.

Nevertheless our government was behind the curve once it became apparent what needed to be done. Lockdown should have been introduced a couple of weeks earlier.  People were calling for lockdown then, it's not just hindsight. Whether it was because the cabinet had a gung-ho British bulldog ethos that we were made of stronger stuff than those folks nearer to the Mediterranean and we could tough it out or it was simply because they couldn't work out what was best to do, I've no idea. Anyway, after becoming so ill himself Boris Johnson can't be in any doubt how serious the situation is.

I've been a very harsh critic of BJ in the past but on covid-19 I believe he's doing what he thinks is best yet I'm uneasy about whether he's recognising what is the best advice for making the right decisions.

Any dealings we've had with the NHS as a family have been satisfactory.

Sorry, I heard absolutely no one calling for a lock down, in fact the majority of people were shocked when it did happen, believing there was possibly a few weeks left. Although I would have done the same as the government, I actually believe lock downs will end up killing more people that they save. A healthy economy and the saving of lives are not inclusive, and what we have done is prevent further investment in our health services for years to come. Remember, 88% of the people who have died were the old and the vulnerable, most of which would have died pretty soon anyway. In an effort to give them a few extra months/years relatively healthy people will suffer going forward.

Now we have to attempt to get out of this lock down, and we haven't built the herd immunity we need.

Wiggles

Quote from: Borchester post_id=24642 time=1589470569 user_id=62
True.

When my children and grandchildren were born I gave the midwives champagne and chocolates, but this habit of kissing their arses when they go into their Angels of Mercy schick gets on my tits. And bear in mind that so far they have lost 33,614 customers to the Chinese Flu, which does not say much for the overall competence of  the NHS.

That's right. People with banners up at their windows, clapping outside their houses on a Thursday night, meanwhile the NHS is allowing thousands of people to die. I blame the fact we have far to many incompetent foreigners on the wards.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I don't think underfunding of the NHS was the main reason the UK has been so badly affected by covid-19 (and I say this as a 'leftie'). If our government had tackled the pandemic here more vigorously at a much earlier stage, it wouldn't have been that costly compared to the way things are panning out. Most countries were caught unawares by covid-19 because hardly anyone realised how much people could spread the infection before they'd developed any symptoms.

Nevertheless our government was behind the curve once it became apparent what needed to be done. Lockdown should have been introduced a couple of weeks earlier.  People were calling for lockdown then, it's not just hindsight. Whether it was because the cabinet had a gung-ho British bulldog ethos that we were made of stronger stuff than those folks nearer to the Mediterranean and we could tough it out or it was simply because they couldn't work out what was best to do, I've no idea. Anyway, after becoming so ill himself Boris Johnson can't be in any doubt how serious the situation is.

I've been a very harsh critic of BJ in the past but on covid-19 I believe he's doing what he thinks is best yet I'm uneasy about whether he's recognising what is the best advice for making the right decisions.

Any dealings we've had with the NHS as a family have been satisfactory.

Borchester

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=24641 time=1589469607 user_id=87
They are doing what they are paid for, and many of them don't do it very well either

True.

When my children and grandchildren were born I gave the midwives champagne and chocolates, but this habit of kissing their arses when they go into their Angels of Mercy schick gets on my tits. And bear in mind that so far they have lost 33,614 customers to the Chinese Flu, which does not say much for the overall competence of  the NHS.
Algerie Francais !

Wiggles

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=24218 time=1589198081 user_id=99
Applauding the workers, why would it anger you that people are appreciative of the work being carried out by nurses and other care staff?

They are doing what they are paid for, and many of them don't do it very well either