Risk, panic and great Coronavirus drama...

Started by DeppityDawg, May 12, 2020, 07:25:45 AM

« previous - next »

Javert

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=24334 time=1589270303 user_id=50
Unscrupulous employers!!! Surely no? My rose tinted spectacles nearly fell off!

Oversimplified? What makes you think that a) everyone will still have a job when demand for everything from cars to washing machines has plummeted? and b) that people still lucky enough to be in a job will go out to restaurants (if they are still even in business) at all when the cost is now double what it was? Who the feck is going to be stupid enough to buy a new car now? Who the hell is going to spend TWICE what they used to on something before, when all the evidence is we are heading for the worst recession/depression ever?

Because it was still there before does NOT mean it will still be there in 3 months time. Thousands of businesses will go to the wall Javert. You are living in cloud cuckoo land, and unless you wake up and soon, the fecking clock will strike midnight and we'll be fecking pumpkins

You are right there is going to be a massive recession, probably a depression.  We don't know how long it will last or what the long term implications will be.  

Even in the great depression in the USA, the unemployment rate hit a peak of about 25% in 1933.  That means 75% of people still had jobs.  Also the great depression lasted about a decade not forever.

Reality is, a massive global pandemic at the moment was always going to cause a massive recession, even if the world economies just ignored it and let everyone die.  The fear in the population would see to that.

The length and magnitude of it will be due to lots of factors, one of which will be confidence and how fearful people are of going back to normal once it's safe to do so.

However, unless it's even much worse than the 1930s depression, there will still be a market for places serving food.  My point was, if all companies in the same market are impacted by an imposed reduction in capacity, if there is still demand, they can all increase prices to cover fixed costs.

Of course you are correct to say that if there is no demand, there won't be any restaurants or take away.  However there will be demand.  As I remember, when I was a kid back in the 1970s, restaurants were much more expensive in real terms than they are now, and we didn't go to them very often at all.

So yes probably you are right but things will bounce back eventually even if it takes a decade or more.

Also, what is happening now isn't directly comparable to any previous historic situation so, as Brexiteers were always fond of saying, we don't actually know what will happen.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to guess though that the UK won't come off well, since some of our most important "competitive advantage" industries are likely to be the ones suffering severe long term consequences (e.g. aviation related manufacturing and activity).

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24395 time=1589285156 user_id=98

You claimed to have a genius level IQ despite the many 'destroy it yourself' projects you have cocked up.

I haven't "cocked-up," any Destroy-It-Yourself projects. Some of the idiots on this forum just think I have.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24392 time=1589283951 user_id=89
I merely respond to a level of shocking ignorance

Yes, you do respond to a high degree, of highly shocking ignorance and all the rest of it..

You liked to say that folks with several degrees in philosophy, engineering degrees, well-read people with long and distinguished careers are too stupid to understand simple concepts in your one-liner stupidity?

You claimed to have a genius level IQ despite the many 'destroy it yourself' projects you have cocked up.

You are as RJD put it, a loud mouthed ignoramus.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24389 time=1589283629 user_id=98
I could ask you the same question, but it would be a waste of time..

Look at how you respond to people with no provocation?

"What are you smoking?"

"You are ignorant and prejudiced"

"Frankly you need forcible reeducation with electro shock therapy"

"How old are you?"

Do I need to go on?

On the ukd forum you pissed on interesting threads posted to 'score one over' or insult everyone who likes topics like philosophy, or certain art, or music, with malice not just as a throwaway remark.

I merely respond to a level of shocking ignorance that some people on the forum have, I wonder if some of them can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24384 time=1589282718 user_id=89
Why are you being so effing nasty?

I could ask you the same question, but it would be a waste of time..

Look at how you respond to people with no provocation?

"What are you smoking?"

"You are ignorant and prejudiced"

"Frankly you need forcible reeducation with electro shock therapy"

"How old are you?"

Do I need to go on?

On the ukd forum you pissed on interesting threads posted to 'score one over' or insult everyone who likes topics like philosophy, or certain art, or music, with malice not just as a throwaway remark.
+++

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24371 time=1589280035 user_id=98
They employed you as rare rocking horse poo?

My goodness, that does require multi-kills.

:hattip
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24379 time=1589281933 user_id=98
Well as your garden shed proves, those skills earned as rocking horse poo worked a treat.

I hope you fixed the combo microwave oven thing you were working on despite curious canadian's advice not to, and aren't now living in the shed because you blew your house up.

Why are you being so effing nasty?

The combination microwave oven was scrap. I did no work on it at all. It took two weeks for a new one to arrive.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24375 time=1589280601 user_id=89
The rot set in for skills disappearing started not long after I finished my engineering apprenticeship back in 1970. Now those skills are as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns, and apprenticeships like the one I did are long dead.

Well as your garden shed proves, those skills earned as rocking horse poo worked a treat.

I hope you fixed the combo microwave oven thing you were working on despite curious canadian's advice not to, and aren't now living in the shed because you blew your house up.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24371 time=1589280035 user_id=98

The rot set in for skills disappearing started not long after I finished my engineering apprenticeship back in 1970. Now those skills are as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns, and apprenticeships like the one I did are long dead.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24370 time=1589279024 user_id=89
Well they had a bit of a problem, people as multi-skilled as I am got to be as rare rocking horse poo and they had little choice but to employ me.

My goodness, that does require multi-kills.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=24368 time=1589278387 user_id=50
Sure. And I bet it never occurred to you to wonder what they thought of you. Given your views, general demeanour and contributions to this forum, if you are anything like this in real life, it's a wonder anyone was stupid enough to give you a job in the first fecking place.

Well they had a bit of a problem, people as multi-skilled as I am got to be as rare are rocking horse poo and they had little choice but to employ me.

Often I was asked to stay on after my shift had finished to make a spare part for a broken machine, due to a long delay in delivery and there was no-one else who could operate the  machines needed to make the part, and work without drawings.

Had I not done so the entire production line would have stopped.

So me being a stroppy bastard was something the management had to put up with.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24335 time=1589270610 user_id=89
It is said you cannot do too much for a good boss. Unfortunately during my decades of work, I never found one.

Sure. And I bet it never occurred to you to wonder what they thought of you. Given your views, general demeanour and contributions to this forum, if you are anything like this in real life, it's a wonder anyone was stupid enough to give you a job in the first fecking place.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=24343 time=1589273772 user_id=89
Huddling together and talking bollocks, I am really going to miss motorcycle rallies this year.

:D
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=24340 time=1589272671 user_id=62

The point about a restaurant, coffee house, pub etc is to huddle together and talk bollocks.

Huddling together and talking bollocks, I am really going to miss motorcycle rallies this year.