Teachers getting back to work

Started by Barry, May 13, 2020, 11:32:18 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Barry post_id=24502 time=1589366706 user_id=51
Children won't stay 2 metres apart, but then they are not at much risk, so don't need to. Unless teachers are in a high risk category, nor are they; If they are in a high risk category, they should be at home shielding themselves.

As per the earlier post, the problem is not that the kids might catch it (they almost certainly will). For a number of reasons such victims will have a miserable time of it but unless they are incredibly unlucky or fall into one of the racial high risk groups .....

But they will take it home...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Javert

Quote from: Barry post_id=24552 time=1589388669 user_id=51
Will the parents need to don PPE when the kids get home from school?

So we've been talking about this crisis for 3 months now and you haven't understood the concept of social distancing to protect new/additional social contacts.

Barry

Quote from: "Bright Young Thing" post_id=24520 time=1589371847 user_id=49
As a practitioner in Early Education, the thought of going back en masse terrifies me. I'm back at work in a slightly different role (delivering lunches to vulnerable children) but my centre is opened for vulnerable kids. It's a completely different role and setting (very clinical, all the 'cosy' stuff has been removed and there are minimal resources) and they're only operating Mon, Wed and Fri - with a deep clean in between each session. The thought of 'normal' nursery, with children unable to practice social distancing, to be coughing and spluttering everywhere and to be unable to really truly understand the situation, well that terrifies me.

There are going to have to be massive changes for (I reckon) at least the next year, and no-one yet knows how that will look. If I had full PPE then I may feel slightly safer, but still not absolutely safe.

Will the parents need to don PPE when the kids get home from school?
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24539 time=1589381990 user_id=98
Just to complicate matters-

Unions tell staff 'not to engage' with plan for 1 June school openings

UK government proposals, including class sizes of 15, branded unfeasible by unions

The National Education Union (NEU), which represents 450,000 teachers and other school staff, and the public service union Unison, representing school support staff, told members not to engage with planning for reopening on 1 June.

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/12/plans-to-reopen-schools-on-1-june-in-jeopardy-as-education-unions-tell-staff-not-to-engage-with-prepartions-1">https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2 ... partions-1">https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/12/plans-to-reopen-schools-on-1-june-in-jeopardy-as-education-unions-tell-staff-not-to-engage-with-prepartions-1

There's a big clash ahead... 🤔

Well if this is true, I don't necessarily agree that they should "not engage" with the planning - to me, that means they should work with the government to determine what can be done safely.  However, if it can't be done safely, by which I mean at minimum the same level of safety afforded to hospital workers etc, then they should not go back.

Borg Refinery

Just to complicate matters-

Unions tell staff 'not to engage' with plan for 1 June school openings

UK government proposals, including class sizes of 15, branded unfeasible by unions

The National Education Union (NEU), which represents 450,000 teachers and other school staff, and the public service union Unison, representing school support staff, told members not to engage with planning for reopening on 1 June.

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/12/plans-to-reopen-schools-on-1-june-in-jeopardy-as-education-unions-tell-staff-not-to-engage-with-prepartions-1">https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2 ... partions-1">https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/12/plans-to-reopen-schools-on-1-june-in-jeopardy-as-education-unions-tell-staff-not-to-engage-with-prepartions-1

There's a big clash ahead... 🤔
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Javert post_id=24515 time=1589368660 user_id=64
That depends to what extent they are safe and have needed PPE and procedures.  I think what teachers are asking is, how are you going to keep us at least as safe as surgeons and ICU staff whilst looking after a class of kids?

NHS workers on the front line are easier to keep safe, if the correct PPE and processes are observed, than teachers in a classroom of 30 children.

Still - this doesn't surprise me.  No doubt the Daily Mail has already started the usual hypocrisy - a month ago, everyone staying at home to avoid virus spread was a hero.  No doubt in the next few days, they will all be scrounging layabout scum, even though their company and the government told them to stay at home.   :crzy

Still - sells newspapers to the gullible.

No Jav, not in a few days - now, O'Brien pointed this out via headlines in his radio show earlier (I don't tune in much but eh..). The 'hate' has recommenced as I think he put it.
+++

Bright Young Thing

As a practitioner in Early Education, the thought of going back en masse terrifies me. I'm back at work in a slightly different role (delivering lunches to vulnerable children) but my centre is opened for vulnerable kids. It's a completely different role and setting (very clinical, all the 'cosy' stuff has been removed and there are minimal resources) and they're only operating Mon, Wed and Fri - with a deep clean in between each session. The thought of 'normal' nursery, with children unable to practice social distancing, to be coughing and spluttering everywhere and to be unable to really truly understand the situation, well that terrifies me.

There are going to have to be massive changes for (I reckon) at least the next year, and no-one yet knows how that will look. If I had full PPE then I may feel slightly safer, but still not absolutely safe.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Javert

Quote from: Barry post_id=24495 time=1589365938 user_id=51
Speaking as someone who has continued to work in the NHS, despite being exposed to a very high risk at the local hospital, to keep the efforts going for the nation and the NHS, I find the resistance of teachers  going back to work at schools repugnant.

Clearly, we are not all in this together.

That depends to what extent they are safe and have needed PPE and procedures.  I think what teachers are asking is, how are you going to keep us at least as safe as surgeons and ICU staff whilst looking after a class of kids?

NHS workers on the front line are easier to keep safe, if the correct PPE and processes are observed, than teachers in a classroom of 30 children.

Still - this doesn't surprise me.  No doubt the Daily Mail has already started the usual hypocrisy - a month ago, everyone staying at home to avoid virus spread was a hero.  No doubt in the next few days, they will all be scrounging layabout scum, even though their company and the government told them to stay at home.   :crzy

Still - sells newspapers to the gullible.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=24502 time=1589366706 user_id=51
Children won't stay 2 metres apart, but then they are not at much risk, so don't need to. Unless teachers are in a high risk category, nor are they; If they are in a high risk category, they should be at home shielding themselves.

Children  are potential carriers. Teachers need PPE.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Nalaar

I don't think they'll be going back at all in Northern Ireland, and will just extend the summer break. Not surprised if teachers in the other nations want the same.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=24495 time=1589365938 user_id=51
Speaking as someone who has continued to work in the NHS, despite being exposed to a very high risk at the local hospital, to keep the efforts going for the nation and the NHS, I find the resistance of teachers  going back to work at schools repugnant.

They are not getting PPE, so I don't blame them.  Best of luck getting children to stay two metres apart.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †