And after the sunshine...

Started by DeppityDawg, May 13, 2020, 01:19:52 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=24521 time=1589372392 user_id=50
....comes the rain.

Figures showing the impact of the luna...erm...I mean lockdown....are starting to emerge now

GDP hit of nearly 6 per cent in March alone. Less than 10 days into lockdown, worst ever recorded and already worse than 2008. By the treasuries own admission, April expected to be "far worse". Bank of England suggesting that figure could be 25% in the 2nd quarter. Lots of articles now starting to appear about the amount of businesses that will never reopen, even if we do recover our senses. Meanwhile, businesses already starting to come up against problems trying to get people to go back to work.

It's like watching 2 men standing on a railway line as an express train approaches at 100mph, arguing about the risk of tripping over if they move.

Mmh, a bit tricky.

GDP is a measure of how much we earn. So if everybody is in lockdown then GDP drops by 20% because the government is only paying 80% of salaries. But because folk are travelling less and unable to drink and gamble, they are probably saving more. I know I am. I am a poor pensioner who fantasies about the blowout we had last Christmas when it was as much bread and dripping as we could eat, but even I am saving money.

The trouble is that we have no real idea of what will happen to the economy. probably sod all, but that won't stop the media spouting bollocks.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

....comes the rain.

Figures showing the impact of the luna...erm...I mean lockdown....are starting to emerge now

GDP hit of nearly 6 per cent in March alone. Less than 10 days into lockdown, worst ever recorded and already worse than 2008. By the treasuries own admission, April expected to be "far worse". Bank of England suggesting that figure could be 25% in the 2nd quarter. Lots of articles now starting to appear about the amount of businesses that will never reopen, even if we do recover our senses. Meanwhile, businesses already starting to come up against problems trying to get people to go back to work.

It's like watching 2 men standing on a railway line as an express train approaches at 100mph, arguing about the risk of tripping over if they move.