My Call On PC

Started by Wiggles, October 21, 2019, 05:36:35 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=25207 time=1589964356 user_id=103
One thing I don't get about the PC brigade is this thing about 'judgemental' and 'non-judgemental'.  

I'm on the left politically and I'm judgemental and so are most lefties.  

You can't have opinions without being judgemental.

I think the project is to become less judgmental, not non-judgemental.

Presumably you have many opinions that you do not judge other people for. It's about expanding that list.
Don't believe everything you think.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

One thing I don't get about the PC brigade is this thing about 'judgemental' and 'non-judgemental'.  

I'm on the left politically and I'm judgemental and so are most lefties.  

You can't have opinions without being judgemental.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=2532 time=1572102926 user_id=79
Just to clarify on this, is that at the temple, the traders were "Money Changers" not "Money Lenders" this (as I understand it) is because the temple priests would only accept donations/sacrifice in a special currency unique to the temples themselves. This was different from everyday currency and not in normal circulation (sort of Classical Era Crypto-currency?)

This means that those that wanted to make a donation to the temple, had to buy this special currency at the entrance.

I can only assume that specific benedictions/repentance's came at a fixed price and so availability of the temple currency may well have varied considerably at peak times.

God forbid any suggestion of a fixed market!

There's a separate bit in the bible that in no uncertain terms says, the coward will go to hell along with a list of other types of sin, unless that is, as with all the rest of the sins, that one repents. The coward sin is specifically aimed at men. It says women are sinful via the Garden of Eden argument, and says they can become holy by bearing children. If they do that then god will be pleased. So it's jobs for the boys and jobs for the girls. You can see therefore why the marriage vows, which are very old, do feature this clause.

The man's job is to guard against evil and protect the innocent. This was why the Knight's Templar did what they did, and they were extremely brave, outnumbered in battle at 10:1 or more in some cases. They nearly always won. Some battles were like miracles. People could hardly believe their eyes, and they were seen as an invincible force by their opponents. The order itself was richer than anyone else, but the knights themselves gave their service for as little as they could, and lived very poorly. Their emblem was two knights on a horse to save money. Strange eh?
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Hyperduck Quack Quack

I remember elderly relatives who were outraged by any sort of parody or ridiculing of Winston Churchill, however tame it might have been. Political correctness has always been with us.

Churchill

It appears I may have misunderstood your post, I do tend speed read on occasions
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Churchill post_id=2552 time=1572107655 user_id=69
The courtyard to the temple was according to the Bible was being filled with livestock, merchants, and the tables of the money changers, who changed the standard Greek and Roman money for Jewish and Tyrian shekels, Jesus who was visiting the Temple was angry that the Temple in Jerusalem had been turned in to nothing more than a Den of Thieves as he called it he drove all of them out

He certainly did not approve of what they had done

Of course not and that is why he chucked them out. I have no idea why you would think he would approve of them if he were chucking them out.

Borchester

Quote from: Churchill post_id=2552 time=1572107655 user_id=69
The courtyard to the temple was according to the Bible was being filled with livestock, merchants, and the tables of the money changers, who changed the standard Greek and Roman money for Jewish and Tyrian shekels, Jesus who was visiting the Temple was angry that the Temple in Jerusalem had been turned in to nothing more than a Den of Thieves as he called it he drove all of them out

I think it was because most foreign currencies bore graven images of kings or gods or some such and went against the fourth Commandment. The Christ would probably have been ok if he stuck to religion, but driving the money changers out of the Temple was breaking Caiaphas' rice bowl
Algerie Francais !

Churchill

<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Sampanviking post_id=2532 time=1572102926 user_id=79
Just to clarify on this, is that at the temple, the traders were "Money Changers" not "Money Lenders" this (as I understand it) is because the temple priests would only accept donations/sacrifice in a special currency unique to the temples themselves. This was different from everyday currency and not in normal circulation (sort of Classical Era Crypto-currency?)

This means that those that wanted to make a donation to the temple, had to buy this special currency at the entrance.

I can only assume that specific benedictions/repentance's came at a fixed price and so availability of the temple currency may well have varied considerably at peak times.

I don't know what went on in this particular one, but it's pretty logical to deduce that if Jesus was there then that particular one got his seal of approval, since his action was to protect the holiness of the church. God clearly thought it was a place to worship him and hence it was legit.

I understand there is a bit in the bible somewhere(don't know where) which goes on about usury, which in the broader sense was anything that makes money from money, not money from work which benefits someone, e.g. carpentry. I think this is how the money changers were looked upon by decent society of that time. They were the insurance salesmen of the day, like a pest at best. Jesus would have got a big cheer for that. I've done similar things and if you get it right then it creates a lot of goodwill.

Sampanviking

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=2436 time=1572040775 user_id=74
One caveat to that is, according to our faith and our tradition, it is also a virtue to take on the crooked. This is an act of confrontation, unliked by the crooked, but if you are a coward then that is considered sinful.

I suppose the illustration of this was when Jesus was in the church and a whole load of money changers (known as swindlers in that time) were using the church to make money. I do not think he was very polite to them, as per "would you like to leave please". He threw them out. As as it was in the bank, the woman was lying to me and making stuff up, and would not repent without a bit of cohesion. The result was one happy manager, as I expect the vicar of the church would have been once Jesus has booted out the swindlers, and purified it. The moral is, you have to use your boot sometimes, but be extremely careful you get the right person.

Churchill

Baron von Lotsov

Respect is earnt. Any who demand it in my view, count themselves out.

Churchill

Respect for others is not cowardice never will be, it does not mean one does not ignore wrong doing towards either yourself or others or go down to their level you deal with , faith or no faith

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Churchill post_id=2370 time=1572006729 user_id=69
I was taught from an early age to have self respect and treat others with respect that way you will be respected in turn by others, manners makeeth the man as the old saying goes.

If one is rude self centred, arrogant full of self importance you are less likely to be respected by others, you will only attract others who behave and think as you do.

Today the thugs and arrogant violent yobs and violent criminals who infest our communities are not respected by the majority far from it, they may fear you but they do not respect you far from it.

One caveat to that is, according to our faith and our tradition, it is also a virtue to take on the crooked. This is an act of confrontation, unliked by the crooked, but if you are a coward then that is considered sinful.

I suppose the illustration of this was when Jesus was in the church and a whole load of money changers (known as swindlers in that time) were using the church to make money. I do not think he was very polite to them, as per "would you like to leave please". He threw them out. As as it was in the bank, the woman was lying to me and making stuff up, and would not repent without a bit of cohesion. The result was one happy manager, as I expect the vicar of the church would have been once Jesus has booted out the swindlers, and purified it. The moral is, you have to use your boot sometimes, but be extremely careful you get the right person.

Churchill

I was taught from an early age to have self respect and treat others with respect that way you will be respected in turn by others, manners makeeth the man as the old saying goes.

If one is rude self centred, arrogant full of self importance you are less likely to be respected by others, you will only attract others who behave and think as you do.

Today the thugs and arrogant violent yobs and violent criminals who infest our communities are not respected by the majority far from it, they may fear you but they do not respect you far from it.