My Call On PC

Started by Wiggles, October 21, 2019, 05:36:35 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=1863 time=1571763439 user_id=87
At least the woman in question had the opportunity to go home and do some housework.  ;)

The manager sounded very relaxed.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Wiggles

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=1848 time=1571762000 user_id=74
Government departments always like you to use the phone. It's a shame phones can't do this but that's how it is. Second problem - it is very nearly always a women. I mean a woman on the front-line. She may well be taking orders from a PC bloke, but he is hiding from you behind a woman.

I do recall one instance though where a bank manager phoned me personally and unprompted, saying i don't know what you said to her, but she has taken the afternoon off sick. It was a rare instance of a man who was kind of old school and unaffected by PC. I think he thought I probably did a good job, as it was said with a hint of admiration.

At least the woman in question had the opportunity to go home and do some housework.  ;)
A hand up, not a hand out

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=1844 time=1571761437 user_id=87
I think I would punch him, but not sure if that is the right answer  :lol:

Government departments always like you to use the phone. It's a shame phones can't do this but that's how it is. Second problem - it is very nearly always a women. I mean a woman on the front-line. She may well be taking orders from a PC bloke, but he is hiding from you behind a woman.

I do recall one instance though where a bank manager phoned me personally and unprompted, saying i don't know what you said to her, but she has taken the afternoon off sick. It was a rare instance of a man who was kind of old school and unaffected by PC. I think he thought I probably did a good job, as it was said with a hint of admiration.

Wiggles

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=1792 time=1571752343 user_id=74
OK I understand the desire to not be PC and to remain civil, but say per chance you are in a situation where there is a dilemma between you and a PC person, e.g. you are being served by that person perhaps as an official of a government department, maybe a teacher of your child, or perhaps even in a  shop. Often to a sane person the logic is child's play and obvious, but the PC person is telling you the wrong thing. Then you try and reason with them and then they clam up. For example you ask them a question and either say nothing, or give you an answer to a question you did not ask. This repeats on successive attempts. What is your next step?

I think I would punch him, but not sure if that is the right answer  :lol:

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=1636 time=1571675795 user_id=87
I believe there is a misunderstanding regarding PC. My son (a big snowflake) is under the impression anybody who doesn't treat another person with respect is acting in a non PC manner. There is some confusion between being disrespectful and non PC. For example, if I were to refer to a person as a "N" to another person, that would be non PC, however, if I were to call a black  person a "N" that would be rude and disrespectful. To be offended by someone else's remarks regarding a third party, indicates you are probably a snowflake liberal, or a person who has been sucked in by societies insistence to behave and speak in a given way. Fortunately I have managed to avoid PC, but have managed to remain civil. If I happen to upset someone  who a comment hasn't been targeted at, I don't really care.  

I no doubt think not all of you will agree, but I won't be offended  :D

OK I understand the desire to not be PC and to remain civil, but say per chance you are in a situation where there is a dilemma between you and a PC person, e.g. you are being served by that person perhaps as an official of a government department, maybe a teacher of your child, or perhaps even in a  shop. Often to a sane person the logic is child's play and obvious, but the PC person is telling you the wrong thing. Then you try and reason with them and then they clam up. For example you ask them a question and either say nothing, or give you an answer to a question you did not ask. This repeats on successive attempts. What is your next step?

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=1770 time=1571748269 user_id=70
It's all a matter of people's background and age.

Your Mum had an excuse for using a colour description most younger people at that time would no longer have used. The shop assistant was out of order.

But while "PC over sensitivity" may generally be crazy, how can we always define what's being over sensitive? For instance some years ago, my Mum participated in some community nursing care for a few months. On a first-time visit she was greeted by very senior citizen with the words: "I told them I didn't want a Black one". Mum carried out her duties on that visit, but reported the incident.

Was that being oversensitive? Or was the local authority at fault for not being sensitive to the old person's wishes...?

If I had all the answers I would be PM.  :dncg:  Your Mum was insulted. It was the same as that old dear saying no-one with red hair. On the other hand she may have been traumatised by someone of colour (is that the right way to say it?) in her past and was scared stiff. It's the same problem when women say they don't want a male nurse. They are not always listened to.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=1637 time=1571676720 user_id=54
My Mum, well into her 70s at the time, went into a shop and asked to buy an N brown handbag. We are talking about the 90s. The assistant really dressed her down and embarrassed her so much in front of other assistants and shoppers she never bought her bag. I'm not sure she ever recovered. My feeling at the time was that it was totally unnecessary. She was describing a handbag not a person. PC over sensitivity is crazy.

It's all a matter of people's background and age.

Your Mum had an excuse for using a colour description most younger people at that time would no longer have used. The shop assistant was out of order.

But while "PC over sensitivity" may generally be crazy, how can we always define what's being over sensitive? For instance some years ago, my Mum participated in some community nursing care for a few months. On a first-time visit she was greeted by very senior citizen with the words: "I told them I didn't want a Black one". Mum carried out her duties on that visit, but reported the incident.

Was that being oversensitive? Or was the local authority at fault for not being sensitive to the old person's wishes...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=1761 time=1571746484 user_id=70
In which case it might be your attitude that gets a negative response from others...

I never worry about negative responses, because my distrust of people until they prove other wise has been right in the vast majority of cases.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=1754 time=1571745162 user_id=89
Life experience, of my first impression of people being proven to be right in the vast majority of cases.

In which case it might be your attitude that gets a negative response from others...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=1746 time=1571743405 user_id=70
Seems to be a negative attitude — and could explain a lot.

Why not respect everyone until they prove unworthy of it...?

Life experience, of my first impression of people being proven to be right in the vast majority of cases.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=1709 time=1571734131 user_id=89
I don't treat anyone with respect until they prove they deserve it.

Seems to be a negative attitude — and could explain a lot.

Why not respect everyone until they prove unworthy of it...?

papasmurf

I don't treat anyone with respect until they prove they deserve it.

johnofgwent

The problem is that snowflakes fail to understand that English law allows me to offend them. Or that they are trying to have it changed so that it no longer allows it. Which would be very bad
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

My Mum, well into her 70s at the time, went into a shop and asked to buy an N brown handbag. We are talking about the 90s. The assistant really dressed her down and embarrassed her so much in front of other assistants and shoppers she never bought her bag. I'm not sure she ever recovered. My feeling at the time was that it was totally unnecessary. She was describing a handbag not a person. PC over sensitivity is crazy.

Wiggles

I believe there is a misunderstanding regarding PC. My son (a big snowflake) is under the impression anybody who doesn't treat another person with respect is acting in a non PC manner. There is some confusion between being disrespectful and non PC. For example, if I were to refer to a person as a "N" to another person, that would be non PC, however, if I were to call a black  person a "N" that would be rude and disrespectful. To be offended by someone else's remarks regarding a third party, indicates you are probably a snowflake liberal, or a person who has been sucked in by societies insistence to behave and speak in a given way. Fortunately I have managed to avoid PC, but have managed to remain civil. If I happen to upset someone  who a comment hasn't been targeted at, I don't really care.  

I no doubt think not all of you will agree, but I won't be offended  :D