Can anyone..

Started by Dynamis, May 14, 2020, 10:39:13 AM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=25620 time=1590230241 user_id=98
Well, they're mostly isolated,

..and not in groups. That was my point.

I don't see why there will necessarily be a quarrel between a small group of likeminded monk types anyway. They would just agree to differ.

Okay, but what if the thing they're 'agreeing to differ' on has a consequence?

If you can live in some sort of consequence free state then sure the OP could be possible, otherwise I'm not seeing it.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borg Refinery

I think it's useful to do what's described in OP in manageable quantities in any case.

Most good philosophies and other religions say similar things.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=25619 time=1590229888 user_id=99
I still think it is undesirable, even in small groups, because eventually you will witness an inequality. Acting in the inequality will cause a quarrel, not acting will 'hurt what pertains to your soul' (unless you're a psychopath - also undesirable) At which point its better that your body perishes...

Well, they're mostly isolated,

..and not in groups. That was my point.

I don't see why there will necessarily be a quarrel between a small group of likeminded monk types anyway. They would just agree to differ.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=25617 time=1590229020 user_id=98
Yeah, but what if everyone was like this?

Also remember this is really hesychastic stuff confined to desert monk's cells, or cells in the forests of Mt Athos, or Siberian wilderness. :)

I'm not saying it's 'the way', even in the Bible there are calls for fighting against wrong, and opposing people. That's why I phrased the question as I did.

I still think it is undesirable, even in small groups, because eventually you will witness an inequality. Acting in the inequality will cause a quarrel, not acting will 'hurt what pertains to your soul' (unless you're a psychopath - also undesirable) At which point its better that your body perishes...

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=25616 time=1590228645 user_id=99
Because people's interests conflict.

Under this 'way of life' if you see someone else being wronged do you intervene?

Yeah, but what if everyone was like this?

Also remember this is really hesychastic stuff confined to desert monk's cells, or cells in the forests of Mt Athos, or Siberian wilderness. :)

I'm not saying it's 'the way', even in the Bible there are calls for fighting against wrong, and opposing people. That's why I phrased the question as I did.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=25614 time=1590228300 user_id=98
Why would you not want things to be this way?

Also, don't think this necessarily leads to doormat stuff, some people manage to exude a total inalienable self confidence and can override other people's pettiness.

Because people's interests conflict.

Under this 'way of life' if you see someone else being wronged do you intervene?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=25479 time=1590149325 user_id=99
I don't think even a handful of people could, and it's not clear why someone would want this to be the way of things.

Why would you not want things to be this way?

Also, don't think this necessarily leads to doormat stuff, some people manage to exude a total inalienable self confidence and can override other people's pettiness.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24601 time=1589449153 user_id=98
..possibly manage this, other than a small handful of people in the world.. in your opinion?

I don't think even a handful of people could, and it's not clear why someone would want this to be the way of things.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=24601 time=1589449153 user_id=98
..possibly manage this, other than a small handful of people in the world.. in your opinion?

"Oppose no man in anything; do not quarrel, and do not lie, and do not swear by the name of the Lord your God. Be despised, and do not despise. Be wronged, and do not wrong. It is better for things of the body to perish with the body than for something pertaining to the soul to be hurt. Go to court with no man, but endure to be condemned, being uncondemned."

+ St. Isaac the Syrian, The Ascetical Homilies, Homily 17

I guess the idea is to do that as much as you are able.

The meek shall inherit the earth.... IF the rest of us let it happen.

In short,  no. The only place that goes is yiu being a doormat.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=24645 time=1589471971 user_id=51
What did you think to oppose no man in anything which Dynamis underlined.

I think that we need to oppose people in all sorts of things. Intellectually, poltically, idealogically, spiritually and occasionally physically.

Do you think it refers to Jesus' teaching of turning the other cheek? If we take His teaching literally, I think it means that however the world treats us we need to take it on the chin, that 2 wrongs don't make a right. We should oppose the evil in anything but not necessarily by doing evil ourselves.

That's when we call on God. No matter what happens, in the end we are answerable to only Him. If we die in His name then we die honourably. We can disagree as much as we like, we can put our point of view or the truth depending how we see it, but to fall out or threaten or damage anyone in any way would be wrong.  Having said all of that I also believe that God can instruct us say to go into battle, kill our first born son (Abraham), there are other examples. When it is instructed by Him then it is for a reason that fits in with God's will and the future as He sees it. I often wonder about Judas Iscariot. He has always been deemed evil, and perhaps he was, but without his act of betrayal would Jesus have ended up on the cross dying for us all? There are so many things in the Scriptures that we don't yet understand.

Barry

What did you think to oppose no man in anything which Dynamis underlined.

I think that we need to oppose people in all sorts of things. Intellectually, poltically, idealogically, spiritually and occasionally physically.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=24619 time=1589463606 user_id=51
Don't want to be rude, T00ts, but we've had this before. You can "feel" what you like, but the Word of God is absolutely clear, that Jesus was without sin. Totally. His outburst in the temple was righteous anger. No sin at all was found in Him. Look it up.

You're not being rude Barry We both know that our interpretations differ. I agree He was without sin I do not necessarily accept the Bible as perfect in terms of translation. I don't dismiss it either it is a major part of my faith.I just know it isn't the full story.

Barry

Don't want to be rude, T00ts, but we've had this before. You can "feel" what you like, but the Word of God is absolutely clear, that Jesus was without sin. Totally. His outburst in the temple was righteous anger. No sin at all was found in Him. Look it up.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=24608 time=1589457510 user_id=51
Jesus never repented for anything. He was without sin. Otherwise he could never have been the perfect Lamb of God who died for the sins of the world.

As for the scripture above, it's not in the biblical canon. That doesn't mean it is of no use.

Oppose no man in anything is totally un-scriptural, and I would not subscribe to the notion.

You are right of course that we accept that Jesus was without sin but there is a thought that being human he would have known only too well what all sin was. We do not know what He grappled with in the wilderness before His baptism. I believe that He showed us the way by being baptised and any sin he might have had was washed away then and His Father saying 'This is my Son in whom I am well pleased' was the recognition of the decisions that Jesus had made. After all He had free will too although of course with God as His Spiritual and Temporal Father He was unlike the rest of us. I can't help but feel that He would have had the full Human experience not just the pain etc that He experienced in the Garden of Gethsemane. He knew everything that any of us might experience ever thus preparing Himself for His eternal future. Some deed!

I do believe that all sorts of Christian denominations have some if not all the truth. I think that as Christians we should accept all attempts at searching for the ultimate truth. Revelation is not exclusive, we all have it to some degree if we but recognise it. Just because something is not in the Scriptures that are recognised by some doesn't mean it is irrelevant.

Barry

Jesus never repented for anything. He was without sin. Otherwise he could never have been the perfect Lamb of God who died for the sins of the world.

As for the scripture above, it's not in the biblical canon. That doesn't mean it is of no use.

Oppose no man in anything is totally un-scriptural, and I would not subscribe to the notion.
† The end is nigh †