Main Menu

Care Homes

Started by kwhs10, May 17, 2020, 04:08:09 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

A lot of people in care homes are waiting for God and have signed DNAR orders, so they certainly don't want to be taken to hospital.

Care homes are generally nursing homes, they are responsible for the full care of patients, they have their own local doctor(s) and treat all patients according to doctor's advice.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: kwhs10 post_id=24984 time=1589728089 user_id=114
I have noted that deaths in care homes is still listed as a major problem in the COVID pandemic however I have a question

"WHY HAVE, AND STILL ARE, PEOPLE DYING IN CARE HOMES???"

Lack of PPE and  old people with Covid-19 being sent from hospitals to nursing homes and no testing happening.

That has very recently changed however there will still be deaths in nursing homes related to Covid-19 for at least another two weeks.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

kwhs10

I have noted that deaths in care homes is still listed as a major problem in the COVID pandemic however I have a question

"WHY HAVE, AND STILL ARE, PEOPLE DYING IN CARE HOMES???"

Surely if the health of a care home patient has deteriorated to the point it is beyond the medical ability of the care home to support with adequate intervention, these patients should have been moved to NHS ICU for at least oxygen ** or even full ventilation. I know about 50% of people who deteriorated to the state they needed ventilation died but if a patient needs ventilation and is not admitted to an NHS ICU they will not get ventilation and then 100% of them will die.

The government certainly managed to make sufficient ICU places available so why did these patients not make it out of their care homes.

I would have thought that a care home that has suffered several deaths would start insisting that its patients be accepted by the NHS ICU's even if they needed to obtain an independent doctors recommendation and support for admittance. How then does it get to the state where a care home records between 10 to 20 patients deaths.

I am not going to point the finger just at the care homes either, I have heard some of them complain that on occasions NHS operators have rejected pleas for their patients to be transferred. Clearly something has gone wrong somewhere the question is where and why?

** I would point out that oxygen in an NHS ICU situation is considerably different to that in a care home where oxygen can be administered. As Boris found out ICU oxygen care in an NHS ICU consists of 24Hour a day monitoring with regular adjustments being made in response to the patients condition which is heavily monitored. This is a considerable step up from the care level that a care home is equiped to provide, after all they are a care home not an ICU.