Reciprocal quarantine measures.

Started by B0ycey, May 23, 2020, 01:44:27 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=25660 time=1590243454 user_id=103
So going to France for a non-special-case person would entail 14 days quarantine on arrival in France and then another 14 days quarantine when they get back here.

Unless you're a latvian with a hacking cough sat behind the wheel of a 42 tonner. Then you get to come in and carry on
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Hyperduck Quack Quack

It would have been sensible for all countries to impose quarantine periods for people entering from abroad, including their own citizens returning home, but it's all a bit late now, though.  The UK has had 250,000 cases and 36,000 deaths, while France has had 182,000 cases and 28,000 deaths, so it's difficult to see why quarantine would make much difference to either country, especially when most people can't travel abroad anyway.

So going to France for a non-special-case person would entail 14 days quarantine on arrival in France and then another 14 days quarantine when they get back here.

They're talking about lifting the remaining lockdown-esque restrictions at different times in different parts of the country.  If that is to be done, which might be one way out once the number of cases has dropped significantly, then it would make sense to create temporary internal borders. So, for example, if we get to a stage when there are no cases of covid-19 in Shropshire**, restrictions within the county could be lifted but with much stricter controls on people entering and leaving the county.

**random example

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=25647 time=1590238955 user_id=116
I was expecting reciprocal measures if that helps. And France was fine with an open border until the UK had cold feet.

My point is, why have 14 days quarantines, where those who travel still have to reach a destination when you could just test them at the border and not piss off France.

I wonder how people are going to travel from Britain to France anyway only freight and a very limited number of exemptions are allowed when it comes to passengers.

In my case I can't get to Brittany for the rest of the year as there are no passenger ferries.(Yet.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=25645 time=1590238701 user_id=89
Reciprocal measures, what else do you expect? (Especially with the  chaos in England.) There are travel restrictions inside France. They have been eased but travel within France is restricted.)

I was expecting reciprocal measures if that helps. And France was fine with an open border until the UK had cold feet.

My point is, why have 14 days quarantines, where those who travel still have to reach a destination when you could just test them at the border and not piss off France.

papasmurf

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=25643 time=1590237867 user_id=116
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812

It will be interesting to read what peoples opinions on this are.

So France have responded equally to our own measures on them. That is a mandatory 14 quarantine of UK citizens entering France. Which in fine but I question the logic on this now as we are loosening lockdown measures and we didn't do such action when it was needed to reduce the curve. That isn't to say we shouldn't test new arrivals. We can monitor their temperture and ask them to take a swab test (that they would have to pay for) that has instant results now. Also international travel is going to remain low for a while so this is low risk relatively speaking. But UK-France happens to be a very busy international route, and at a time we are trying to reduce the economic burden of Covid19, we now are also shutting down our borders and pissing off our neighbours for very little reward.

Reciprocal measures, what else do you expect? (Especially with the  chaos in England.) There are travel restrictions inside France. They have been eased but travel within France is restricted.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52781812

It will be interesting to read what peoples opinions on this are.

So France have responded equally to our own measures on them. That is a mandatory 14 quarantine of UK citizens entering France. Which in fine but I question the logic on this now as we are loosening lockdown measures and we didn't do such action when it was needed to reduce the curve. That isn't to say we shouldn't test new arrivals. We can monitor their temperture and ask them to take a swab test (that they would have to pay for) that has instant results now. Also international travel is going to remain low for a while so this is low risk relatively speaking. But UK-France happens to be a very busy international route, and at a time we are trying to reduce the economic burden of Covid19, we now are also shutting down our borders and pissing off our neighbours for very little reward.