Main Menu

Quiet of late

Started by T00ts, May 24, 2020, 02:13:55 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26040 time=1590401870 user_id=54
If Cummings made up the rules - show me his constituency. He is un-elected

Precisely he made the rules despite being unelected. I have to wonder what Rasputin type of hold Cummings has on Bojo.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26040 time=1590401870 user_id=54

As far as 'elites' are concerned. Isn't that word another one for wealthy/successful? Isn't it another mask for the jealousy that so many display of those lucky or able enough to have made more of their lives? The 'elites' are often those who provide the jobs?

I totally agree, but I'm not the one who has put myself into government by claiming that I'm going to "get rid of the Elites" whilst owning several houses and being a millionaire myself.

They have convinced many people that these people (who would've been called aristocrats in the old days) are the representatives of the good old ordinary people, whilst it's the "middle class" people who are the Elites.  Seen from that perspective, they are saying that the "Eliteness" is not related directly to income - it's more an inverse U shape - if you've got a comfortable amount of money and a few assets, you are the "Elite".  However, if you are a millionaire who doesn't pay any UK tax and thinks themselves above the law, but you make a few speeches about how the common people are being ignored by the Elites, and the one actually involved in making the rules, you are a good old ordinary lad just like who we would meet down the pub.  Really?  :crzy

I would be happy just to have a competent government and an honourable PM in power no matter what party right now - that would already be a major advance on the current situation.

Also - I think you are a bit naive about Cummings - if his influence was small and he was not heavily involved and instrumental in making those rules, I doubt they would be risking so much political capital to defend him.  

I guess the only other explanation is that they can't sack him without implicating themselves because it will then come out that they all knew all along what he was up to.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert post_id=26026 time=1590398857 user_id=64
The bigger issue is not that it is:

- He was the one who actually made the rules so should be held to the spirit of those rules more than others.  If it's ok for him to "bend" the rules, why have other people had to resign from their jobs for lesser breaches.  If he stays, those others should be reinstated.

- There was a concerted pre-emptive cover up about this during the last weeks which included his wife in writing tear jerking stories in the Spectator - stories which failed to mention they had travelled north and even implied they were in London.

- Cummings response to this has been extremely arrogant and dismissive - rather than - "Oh yes, well, I can see with hindsight that maybe this wasn't the best course of action but I was panicking about the welfare of my child and so on".  However his response was basically "go away I've done nothing wrong and anyone who think's what I did was unwise is an idiot".

Don't forget that these people were elected into power on a manifesto of "you need to get rid of the Elites and vote for us instead.  We are the men (and it is mostly men) of the people - we are just like you!".  

Well - this whole thing might open a few people's eyes about it.  Of course, there will be a very large minority of people who still think getting Brexit done will solve all the country problems and therefore they wouldn't care if Dominic Cummings had murdered his family as long as he completes Brexit, but there is a middle group of the population who might actually be rather upset by this.

Maybe some people will see that actually, these people are not the revolutionary conquerors oft he Elite - they are the Elite themselves.  They do not care about all those working class voters who voted for them one jot, except insofar as what slogans they need to make up to get their votes.

If Cummings made up the rules - show me his constituency. He is un-elected - he no more made up the rules than fly to the moon. We have a whole Cabinet of idiots who with collected responsibility made up the rules with a physically sick PM who just wants a quiet life. I agree Cummings holds too much sway but let's not give him even more clout.

As far as 'elites' are concerned. Isn't that word another one for wealthy/successful? Isn't it another mask for the jealousy that so many display of those lucky or able enough to have made more of their lives? The 'elites' are often those who provide the jobs?

This is no more than a chance for those who want to disrupt Government, remain in the EU and hope to put Labour in Government. They couldn't do it through the ballot box.

At a time when the country and the world needs sense we have idiots.

Thomas

Quote from: Javert post_id=26028 time=1590399005 user_id=64
Says the poster who regularly goes ballistic when someone suggests what Scotland should do.

:lol:

Where?

Quote me please?

Suggest away javert . Wether we take any notice of you is another matter. I have a right to have a say on uk governance as your country controls mine.

Holyrood isnt in charge of yours is it?

Unlucky about cummings though , looks like its another battle you ahve lost. :roll:  :lol:
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Javert

Quote from: Thomas post_id=26001 time=1590394510 user_id=58
I think england should keep calm and determined to get the brexit they voted for ,

Says the poster who regularly goes ballistic when someone suggests what Scotland should do.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=25996 time=1590393749 user_id=54
They seem to be telling me this morning that because Cummings broke his own rules (how many other Joe Bloggs did the same?) the country is going to go into melt down. How many people looking at this tripe today are thinking 'well if he did it, I will'? Doesn't it go with what our Mother's said when we followed some idiot in childhood 'would you put your head under a bus if he told you to'?

The bigger issue is not that it is:

- He was the one who actually made the rules so should be held to the spirit of those rules more than others.  If it's ok for him to "bend" the rules, why have other people had to resign from their jobs for lesser breaches.  If he stays, those others should be reinstated.

- There was a concerted pre-emptive cover up about this during the last weeks which included his wife in writing tear jerking stories in the Spectator - stories which failed to mention they had travelled north and even implied they were in London.

- Cummings response to this has been extremely arrogant and dismissive - rather than - "Oh yes, well, I can see with hindsight that maybe this wasn't the best course of action but I was panicking about the welfare of my child and so on".  However his response was basically "go away I've done nothing wrong and anyone who think's what I did was unwise is an idiot".

Don't forget that these people were elected into power on a manifesto of "you need to get rid of the Elites and vote for us instead.  We are the men (and it is mostly men) of the people - we are just like you!".  

Well - this whole thing might open a few people's eyes about it.  Of course, there will be a very large minority of people who still think getting Brexit done will solve all the country problems and therefore they wouldn't care if Dominic Cummings had murdered his family as long as he completes Brexit, but there is a middle group of the population who might actually be rather upset by this.

Maybe some people will see that actually, these people are not the revolutionary conquerors oft he Elite - they are the Elite themselves.  They do not care about all those working class voters who voted for them one jot, except insofar as what slogans they need to make up to get their votes.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26013 time=1590396235 user_id=54
Isn't that what you have all been led to believe. Fabricated horror. There are many who want Cummings away from BJ and that may well be a reasonable requirement for all sorts of reasons but there is something just a bit false about the uproar that's going on. There is a scent of blood in the air and as a result there is a feeding frenzy, when in fact a bit more reserved sense is what's needed. Surely it's the same sentiment here as a lynching party. It's not civilised.

It is looking as if Cummings has got trouble with angry neighbours, I wish there was a webcam in his street.

T00ts

Isn't that what you have all been led to believe. Fabricated horror. There are many who want Cummings away from BJ and that may well be a reasonable requirement for all sorts of reasons but there is something just a bit false about the uproar that's going on. There is a scent of blood in the air and as a result there is a feeding frenzy, when in fact a bit more reserved sense is what's needed. Surely it's the same sentiment here as a lynching party. It's not civilised.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26004 time=1590394656 user_id=54
 Was it so disgraceful or is this just fabricated horror?

It was beyond disgraceful, he made the rules, stay at home, he broke that, then he drove some 250 miles when he was ill with Covid-19. he must have had to stop several time especially with a small child, how many people were potentially infected?

He is showing no remorse or contrition has not apologised, and had treated us all with contempt.

He should have resigned.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26004 time=1590394656 user_id=54
If we only allowed those without hypocracy to govern or be public servants we would not have any need for Westminster. I don't condone it and wish that everyone lived by perfect rules but it's a vain hope. BJ should show Cummings the door not because of the clamouring of others but because the man did something disgraceful. Was it so disgraceful or is this just fabricated horror? How many others did the same? Was it a law? It's pathetic.

To be fair, it is the way Johnson has behaved since the incident that is making people angry rather than the incident itself. So if he had just sacked him "in name only", this wouldn't even be a story. So just like Watergate, the cover up becomes the story. And that is why this has become such a big deal.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=26000 time=1590394273 user_id=116
Those who lead should lead!

The point is T00ts, is if the person who makes the rules can't follow them, it is called hypocrisy. And it makes those who did actually follow the rules - and especially those who had to sacrifice to follow them, seem foolish. That is why this is such a big story. And that comes from someone who never supported the lockdown at any point of this clusterfuck.

If we only allowed those without hypocracy to govern or be public servants we would not have any need for Westminster. I don't condone it and wish that everyone lived by perfect rules but it's a vain hope. BJ should show Cummings the door not because of the clamouring of others but because the man did something disgraceful. Was it so disgraceful or is this just fabricated horror? How many others did the same? Was it a law? It's pathetic.

Thomas

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=26000 time=1590394273 user_id=116

The point is T00ts, is if the person who makes the rules can't follow them, it is called hypocrisy. And it makes those who did actually follow the rules - and especially those who had to sacrifice to follow them, seem foolish. That is why this is such a big story. And that comes from someone who never supported the lockdown at any point of this clusterfuck.

Dominic will be fine.

Get to the end of the year and get hard brexit done and the public will forgive and forget . :lol:

Thomas

I am sick and tired of the apparent brainwashing that the media seems to have become. Put us all in a cell with a light on 24/7, a tap dripping and the news on a loop, and we come close to demented. What are we creating? It is past the point of ridiculous.

I think the media are becoming more and more hysterical as they become less and less relevant toots.

Newspaper sales are off a cliff edge , the bbc reputation has been tarnished for years with the up and coming generations not even watching tv in general never mind auntie , and their influence on peoples lives are diminshing by the day so they scream louder and louder over the least little thing to appear relevant.

I think england should keep calm and determined to get the brexit they voted for , and ignore this hysterical sideshow about total irrelevance.

As you approach the end of the year and possible hard brexit , you will find the fruit loops going even more stir crazy .

B0ycey

papasmurf

How many people looking at this tripe today are thinking 'well if he did it, I will'?

Far too many.  I can see a barricade across the only road into the village.