Lockdown saved no lives and may have cost them, Nobel

Started by Borchester, May 24, 2020, 02:40:27 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28622 time=1591789996 user_id=62
And you could stop being a dreary bastard but I doubt that either of us will ever change. :D

Just leave the "humour" out of serious subjects and stop ridiculing and abusing me.

I am effectively trapped in my own home until told otherwise by my GP practice. So I take a VERY dim view of idiots and morons determined to start a spike in Covid-19 cases and keeping me trapped in my own home for even longer.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28619 time=1591789196 user_id=89
You can stop being offensive and flippant about what are serious subjects.

And you could stop being a dreary bastard but I doubt that either of us will ever change. :D
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28617 time=1591788121 user_id=62
So you are not pleased?

I tell you Pappy, I do what I can to cheer you up but it is heavy going :(

You can stop being offensive and flippant about what are serious subjects.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28615 time=1591787807 user_id=89
Were you born stupid or have you been taking lessons?  The morons driving 400 miles to a beach, (And beauty spots) is a national problem. Don't you follow news and current affairs. Your constant flippancy about serious subjects is very offensive.

So you are not pleased?

I tell you Pappy, I do what I can to cheer you up but it is heavy going :(
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28614 time=1591787515 user_id=62
I believe that this Chinese flu will have largely died out by the end of this month and the start of the next. However it will continue to rage in Cornwall where the locals will happily use the dead to blockade the roads and stop the return of the hated holiday  makers

So, everyone should be pleased  :D

Were you born stupid or have you been taking lessons?  The morons driving 400 miles to a beach, (And beauty spots) is a national problem. Don't you follow news and current affairs. Your constant flippancy about serious subjects is very offensive.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28611 time=1591786389 user_id=89
The spike in cases of Covid-19 will be in full swing by then due to idiot protesters and morons driving 400 miles to a beach.

I believe that this Chinese flu will have largely died out by the end of this month and the start of the next. However it will continue to rage in Cornwall where the locals will happily use the dead to blockade the roads and stop the return of the hated holiday  makers

So, everyone should be pleased  :D
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28573 time=1591738363 user_id=62

The current bug will die out end of June/ early July.

The spike in cases of Covid-19 will be in full swing by then due to idiot protesters and morons driving 400 miles to a beach.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28573 time=1591738363 user_id=62
I am going to make a few predictions based on nothing but wild guesswork,

The flu/Chines Cough/ whatever is worse in the autumn and winter because folk huddle together indoors to escape the cold and thus germs are easily spread. But half the nation has already spent three months locked away and covering their homes and loved ones with snot and disease. Anyone due to die will have turned their toes up in a couple of months so a new outbreak of whatever is unlikely.

By December we will have run out of things to worry on and will be begging Boris to bomb the French fishing fleet so that we will have something to talk about.

A bold prediction.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=28567 time=1591734146 user_id=51
I'm going to make a prediction based on nothing but common sense.

The virus is not going away and a vaccine is far off.

A second wave will come in the Northern Hemisphere's winter, probably starting the end of October, when all influenxa type viruses increase in rate. It will be worse in the countries that have not had many deaths, as those countries have far more people left to infect, who have no immunity.

I am going to make a few predictions based on nothing but wild guesswork,

The flu/Chines Cough/ whatever is worse in the autumn and winter because folk huddle together indoors to escape the cold and thus germs are easily spread. But half the nation has already spent three months locked away and covering their homes and loved ones with snot and disease. Anyone due to die will have turned their toes up in a couple of months so a new outbreak of whatever is unlikely.

By December we will have run out of things to worry on and will be begging Boris to bomb the French fishing fleet so that we will have something to talk about.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=27117 time=1590910052 user_id=116
You don't know how many lives will have been lost by the economic damage in the future. Nor do you know what impact there is if we have a second wave.

I'm going to make a prediction based on nothing but common sense.

The virus is not going away and a vaccine is far off.

A second wave will come in the Northern Hemisphere's winter, probably starting the end of October, when all influenxa type viruses increase in rate. It will be worse in the countries that have not had many deaths, as those countries have far more people left to infect, who have no immunity.
† The end is nigh †

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Quote from: Thomas post_id=27110 time=1590907748 user_id=58
Thats easy for you to say if you are retired , sitting on a pension and steady income , with no real difference to your financial postion. Unfortunately millions arent in that position.

Its about self interest quackers .

People will do what they have to do.

I broadly agree to a certain extent to your highlighted quote , but what you also dont mention is there is a tipping point , and that tipping point has been reached.

Sure both the uk , and to a lesser degree scottish govs have made mistakes on the health side of covid 19. I cant fault either on the financial side.

Slight damage to the economy is a price worth paying to save lives , but severe damage to the point of oblivion? Dont agree.

As i said , its easier to carp from the sidelines if you are sitting financially secure. Many elderly folk i know have told me things are lttle different from normal for them except restrictions in travel.

The governments have to look at the wider picture , not just from one point of view.

Of course there has to be a balance. How much should the economy suffer to save how many lives?  There's also the matter of whether it's better to go all out to defeat covid-19 as quickly as possible now or to let it linger on debilitating society and the economy for much longer. Flattening the curve might have helped the NHS from being overwhelmed to some extent, but just postponing infection for a lot of people when it could have been prevented isn't good enough.

I'm not quite old enough to collect my pension yet. Soon though.

Streetwalker

The Nobel prize organisation lost all credibility when they awarded the peace prize to the EU in 2012 . That brings all awards into question so who is this guy again ?

johnofgwent

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=27158 time=1590915494 user_id=116
What does borrowing have to do with anything? I am more concerned with everyone's livelihood and mental wellbeing in regards to lockdown.

As for social change, to support lockdown to address social ills is counterproductive and an act of self harm.

You'll soon find out.

I agree with your point regarding ones mental health though. It was almost thirty years ago that I had to kick a burglar almost to death when i caught him burgling my home and he tried to take me on instead of running away.

It felt GOOD hearing hs pitiful screams as I broke bone after bone.

I heard last week that some dirt bag was going round our estate trying car and house doors, and had brandished a knife at a householder who confronted him, but thought the better of it and ran off.....

Arse Book's group page for this area was awash with bleatings of terrified sheep scared for their lives and equally pitiful excuses from plod that they had better things to do ...

I went to my shed, powered up my chainsaw, turned on a tea light, and did my best effort at a video selfie in the flickering light revving it up some and snarling 'I'm coming for you, shithead, this will be fun.....'

I then posted it to said arsebook group and to gwent plods page as well.

Within three hours 20 plod were on the streets and said knife wielder was in custody. Yesterday a similar report of a knife wielding nutter in woods up by my daughters place got a similar plod response..... and another arrest.

I think they're trying to spoil my fun.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

B0ycey

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=27155 time=1590915225 user_id=63
You do realise standard and poor's is one of the credit agencies that define how much a country pays to borrow money .....

What does borrowing have to do with anything? I am more concerned with everyone's livelihood and mental wellbeing in regards to lockdown.

As for social change, to support lockdown to address social ills is counterproductive and an act of self harm.

johnofgwent

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=27140 time=1590913573 user_id=116
you don't need to burn your house down in order to move!

Indeed.

Corbynism is a movement split by age demographic. You don't need to destroy society to make change. You just need to stand up and be counted. And the youth are beinging - admittedly slowly to stand up. So time will bring social change. So why test how strong the poors resolve is into hardship?

I have no doubt hardship will move things forward. But it doesn't have to instant. And the wealth divide has already shown its cracks. And now it is time for people to vote on those cracks.

You do realise standard and poor's is one of the credit agencies that define how much a country pays to borrow money .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>