Lockdown saved no lives and may have cost them, Nobel

Started by Borchester, May 24, 2020, 02:40:27 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 30, 2020, 09:12:32 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on June 30, 2020, 09:02:50 AM
Sadly it will take too long to find if such people are vulnerable in that way. In china of course, they'll already know this because they will have used some of their criminal and political priosoners as crash test dummies to find out. Maybe we should follow their example...

I would have no problem at all finding candidates.

Very kind of you to volunteer Pappy, particularly when you may well have many more weeks of life left in you.

The seven day average for fatalities has risen for the first time since early April so it might be that the kung flu will creak on for a bit longer. I sent out for a Chinese last night but I won't be doing that again in a hurry.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 30, 2020, 09:02:50 AM
Sadly it will take too long to find if such people are vulnerable in that way. In china of course, they'll already know this because they will have used some of their criminal and political priosoners as crash test dummies to find out. Maybe we should follow their example...

I would have no problem at all finding candidates.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: Hyperduck Quack Quack on May 31, 2020, 07:31:06 AMLockdown must have saved lives.

Sorry to resurrect this "out of context" but it's an excellent start point to wonder if it really has.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/06/chinese-study-antibodies-covid-19-patients-fade-quickly

This is a summary of a scientific paper assessing the immunoglobulin levels in Chinese COVID-19 survivors. The two key phrases, which may actually counteract each other, are that serum levels of the immunoglobulins created following exposure fall radically over the next eight weeks, giving the rather alarming prospect that "immunity" is temporary at best, while the counterpoint is the caveat that the study took no account of "cellular immunity" in the T-Cells. 

Now, the question is whether the rapid removal of the immunoglobulins matters because T Cells retaining knowledge of the invader will kick off the immune response and make more if it comes back. I've been away from the coalface too long to be able to give an assessment.

But this raises the prospect that some people, seriously weakened by the first encounter, may be shuffled off their perch by a second infection. Sadly it will take too long to find if such people are vulnerable in that way. In china of course, they'll already know this because they will have used some of their criminal and political priosoners as crash test dummies to find out. Maybe we should follow their example...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry on June 18, 2020, 10:08:49 PM
Quote from: Mashup on June 18, 2020, 08:56:04 PM
Professor Neil Furguson has only recently said that, with the benefit if hindsight, an earlier lockdown would have halved the number of dead.
Best not to take any lessons from him, though.
He's one of the "do as I say" not as I do, brigade. If you call for a policy, stick by it, not break it yourself.

1) lockdown was not Prof Ferguson's idea.
2) his model wasn't the only one that showed lockdown was required (indeed the imp model was initially suggesting the UK was earlier in the curve than it actually was)
3) the validity of the imp model and any policy suggestions that stem from it's outputs are in no way affected by Prof Ferguson's adherence to lockdown restrictions.

Indeed, when his breeches came to light he resigned immediately so as not to endanger the adherence to lockdown.

The real damage to lock down adherence came from another government advisors breech of the rules. 

Barry

Quote from: Mashup on June 18, 2020, 08:56:04 PM
Professor Neil Furguson has only recently said that, with the benefit if hindsight, an earlier lockdown would have halved the number of dead.
Best not to take any lessons from him, though.
He's one of the "do as I say" not as I do, brigade. If you call for a policy, stick by it, not break it yourself.

† The end is nigh †

Mashup

Borg Refinery

Maybe you folks don't get it, humour (and this is proven) physically removes pain, it's a good thing and you should embrace it.

Plus as Bug's Bunny says..

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive.
+++

Javert

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28636 time=1591795322 user_id=62
Well Bebe, I have a bad heart, diabetes and a tin knee, so I don't really have time to panic over this Chinese flu you are so keen on.But put it on my to do list and I will worry on it when I get a chance. Fair?

Interposed adjectives?  :lol:

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28636 time=1591795322 user_id=62
Well Bebe, I have a bad heart, diabetes and a tin knee, so I don't really have time to panic over this Chinese flu you are so keen on.But put it on my to do list and I will worry on it when I get a chance. Fair?

you do you mate.

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=28634 time=1591794583 user_id=88
Borchester is often insensitive.  Sometimes I think he does it deliberately and then retreats behind the "gosh can't you take a joke defense"

I guess he'll sing a different tune if he or someone close to him gets it badly.

Quite. It isn't just the deaths, many of those who have "recovered," have been left with long term life changing conditions.

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=28634 time=1591794583 user_id=88
Borchester is often insensitive.  Sometimes I think he does it deliberately and then retreats behind the "gosh can't you take a joke defense"

I guess he'll sing a different tune if he or someone close to him gets it badly.

My sister's in-laws didn't take CV very seriously.  All a bit a a laugh really, "look out for the Kung flu!", down the pub for a knees up on closing day, few cheeky BBQs at friends etc.  

Then her M-I-L (mid 50's very fit and healthy) got it.  Fever, breathing difficulties, the lot. She still has chest pains and other symptoms 10 weeks later.  

They take it very seriously now.

Interestingly her husband, who is the same age but likes his food a little much, maybe doesn't gt out jogging as often as he should, had extremely mild to non-existent symptoms.  He doesn't know if he got it and gave it to her, if he caught it from her and had mild symptoms or if he never caught it at all.

Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

My sister's in-laws didn't take CV very seriously.  All a bit a a laugh really, "look out for the Kung flu!", down the pub for a knees up on closing day, few cheeky BBQs at friends etc.  

Then her M-I-L (mid 50's very fit and healthy) got it.  Fever, breathing difficulties, the lot. She still has chest pains and other symptoms 10 weeks later.  

They take it very seriously now.

Interestingly her husband, who is the same age but likes his food a little much, maybe doesn't gt out jogging as often as he should, had extremely mild to non-existent symptoms.  He doesn't know if he got it and gave it to her, if he caught it from her and had mild symptoms or if he never caught it at all.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28627 time=1591792051 user_id=62
I am sorry to hear that Pappy and can only hope that locking you up in your own home is not your doctor's idea of a joke  :D

You just can't help it can you? Many of my neighbours are in the same situation as me.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28623 time=1591790533 user_id=89
Just leave the "humour" out of serious subjects and stop ridiculing and abusing me.

I am effectively trapped in my own home until told otherwise by my GP practice. So I take a VERY dim view of idiots and morons determined to start a spike in Covid-19 cases and keeping me trapped in my own home for even longer.

I am sorry to hear that Pappy and can only hope that locking you up in your own home is not your doctor's idea of a joke  :D
Algerie Francais !