How will it all be paid for...?

Started by DeppityDawg, May 24, 2020, 05:45:39 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=25915 time=1590338739 user_id=50
So, having managed to get a debate of sorts over the downside of lockdown, some ideas to pay for all this

1) Local authority spending - I can see that in order to fund increasing care costs, the government are going to have to abandon any attempt to reign in local authority council tax rises - we could see rises in double digits percentages, bringing some peoples CT bill above their mortgage or rent costs

2) Income tax? 25% base rate? No or small increases in personal allowances

3) VAT - 25% with less exemptions?

4) Pension upper tax relief rate abolished

5) THE TRIPLE LOCK ON STATE PENSION WILL BE SCRAPPED - certain, I'd bet strongly on it.

6) Free bus passes scrapped or curtailed

7) Indirect taxes, eg fuel, beer, cigarettes etc, all to rise significantly

More controversially.

8) Reverse means testing for automatic entitlements like State Pension - eg, if you have private wealth/income over a certain amount, you'll receive the State Pension at a reduced or zero rate

Thoughts or any other targets, just in case the magic money tree fails?

If anything like those attacks on the core Tory voters (A large tranche of the 12 million plus pensioners.) happens, the targets will be Tory MPs and ministers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

DeppityDawg

So, having managed to get a debate of sorts over the downside of lockdown, some ideas to pay for all this

1) Local authority spending - I can see that in order to fund increasing care costs, the government are going to have to abandon any attempt to reign in local authority council tax rises - we could see rises in double digits percentages, bringing some peoples CT bill above their mortgage or rent costs

2) Income tax? 25% base rate? No or small increases in personal allowances

3) VAT - 25% with less exemptions?

4) Pension upper tax relief rate abolished

5) THE TRIPLE LOCK ON STATE PENSION WILL BE SCRAPPED - certain, I'd bet strongly on it.

6) Free bus passes scrapped or curtailed

7) Indirect taxes, eg fuel, beer, cigarettes etc, all to rise significantly

More controversially.

8) Reverse means testing for automatic entitlements like State Pension - eg, if you have private wealth/income over a certain amount, you'll receive the State Pension at a reduced or zero rate

Thoughts or any other targets, just in case the magic money tree fails?