George Floyd Riots

Started by B0ycey, May 30, 2020, 01:19:30 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry post_id=27459 time=1591099994 user_id=51
I assume you meant to write "Black lives matter", but perhaps you are ambivalent about spelling.

Anyone else have an uncomfortable feeling with "Black lives matter"?

It's the inferences that might be drawn. Do Chinese lives matter? How about disabled people?

Do women's lives matter?

Do black fetuses lives matter?

Does this woman's life matter?

Can we say that all lives matter? I would settle for that.

this is a variation of the "all lives matter" argument.

saying "black lives matter" is not the same as saying "no other lives matter".

The analogy I read

You sit down for a big family Christmas dinner

Everyone gets a good serving, turkey, stuffing, roasties, all the trimmings, the lot.  Piled high

Except you - you get a raw potato.

"Excuse me, I think I should have a fair share" you say

"Don't be selfish - We should *all* have our fair share", replies someone else between mouthfuls.

Javert

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27406 time=1591059244 user_id=99
It would appear that Trump has declared martial law in America.

He has advised all Governors to deploy the National Guard to create an "overwhelming presence" to "dominate the streets". If a governor does not then federal forces (ie the National Military) will be deployed in their city.

So his answer to protests about the police killing unarmed black citizens, is to bring in heavily armed military personnel to diffuse the situation by shooting unarmed black citizens?

Streetwalker

I have an uncomfortable feeling with it yes . By accepting that they matter we are admitting that they didn't in the first place .

For me its an own goal in race relations

Streetwalker

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=27448 time=1591097366 user_id=50
I think this place needs a separate "I hate Trump" section, where all the Antifa/Revolutionary/Vegan/Climate zealots can get their rocks off without being interrupted by fascists like you and me.

:hattip

Trouble is DD we wont be able to resist throwing in the odd hand grenade now and again just for the hell of it .  :lol:

Borg Refinery

These rioters are destroying a lot of buildings and stuff.

While the peaceful protesters and even the disobedient (but non-violent/looting/arsonist) ones have every right to protest, the violent ones can't be allowed to carry on night after night.

Martial law has not been enacted.

..but if this carries on for much longer, perhaps they will need to start getting heavier and start firing things like rocksalt at the protesters. It is making Trump look so weak and pathetic it's unreal.. because he is weak and utterly puny; cowering in his bunker, then walking to the Church and holding the bible the wrong way up.

But then again, that's the problem with Trump isn't it. All his tough talk does nothing, talk is cheap. If he had given mass high-paid US jobs for US workers, for the left-behinds, in the depressed parts of the country? Ok fine - that never happened. His tough talk with China has achieved nothing; he should've been much firmer with them.

His tough talk with Kim Jong Un has done nothing..

He seems like a yank version of Gordon Brown..
+++

Nalaar

I assume you meant to write "Black lives matter", but perhaps you are ambivalent about spelling.

It's the inferences that might be drawn. Do Chinese lives matter? How about disabled people?

Do women's lives matter?

It is not a zero sum game, when you say someones life matters, you are not saying someone elses life does not matter.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=27375 time=1591034979 user_id=116
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52875059">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52875059

Liverpool FC drop the knee. The world unites to show 'black lived matter' as America have their sixth day of protests.

Do women's lives matter?

† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: B0ycey post_id=27417 time=1591080662 user_id=116
Protecting against ones best interest!

Sending in the army requires compliance from the army. What would Trump so if he declares marshal law and the army held a knee? I can't see many black infantry holding the line.

All the better for Trumps re election chances if they dont.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=27448 time=1591097366 user_id=50
I think this place needs a separate "I hate Trump" section, where all the Antifa/Revolutionary/Vegan/Climate zealots can get their rocks off without being interrupted by fascists like you and me.

:hattip  :thup:
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27431 time=1591085646 user_id=99
Not just thinking, he's demanding that governors deploy the National Guard, and if they don't he will deploy the Military. I expect many governors will challenge the legality of deploying their national forces in this way.

Sounds fine by me.

The bottom line is, every time the police shoot a black guy, cities burn. Every time they shoot a white guy, someone starts a tasteless facebook group.

Did London burn when Stephen Waldorf was shot ? No. Did anyone face any consequences for that ? No. The judges trial remarks are on wikipedia. Read them.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27444 time=1591092597 user_id=99
Yes.

Quite why they thought that photo shoot was so important that they had to have it idk, but at the very least given its apparent importance you would think he would have held the bible the right way up.

:lol:  :lol: I didn't notice that. Well spotted.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27445 time=1591093950 user_id=53
While it was a protest against the death of George Floyd there wasn't a problem .It didn't last long before it turned into the inevitable  riots  and has now moved onto anti Trump ,anti government .

The usual suspect will come out in support of Black lives matter ,the lefty celebrity's will be falling over themselves to register their support and anyone who doesn't join the crusade will be a racist Trump loving red neck

Its no longer about Floyd or racial injustices but about removing Trump from office and of course he will fight that

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27446 time=1591094446 user_id=99
He should "fight that" with the up and coming election, not by deploying the military against his own citizenry.

Maybe its one of the same

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=27445 time=1591093950 user_id=53
While it was a protest against the death of George Floyd there wasn't a problem .It didn't last long before it turned into the inevitable  riots  and has now moved onto anti Trump ,anti government .

The usual suspect will come out in support of Black lives matter ,the lefty celebrity's will be falling over themselves to register their support and anyone who doesn't join the crusade will be a racist Trump loving red neck

Its no longer about Floyd or racial injustices but about removing Trump from office and of course he will fight that

He should "fight that" with the up and coming election, not by deploying the military against his own citizenry.
Don't believe everything you think.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27435 time=1591088128 user_id=99
And while Trump was saying that he supported peaceful protests, but not riots etc which was why federal officers were being deployed...federal officers were responding to a peaceful protest outside the White House lawns with tear gas, flash bangs, and truncheons.