George Floyd Riots

Started by B0ycey, May 30, 2020, 01:19:30 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=27303 time=1591005397 user_id=50Its unlikely those officers have been "fired", because their jobs (like everyone's should be) have certain protections.

It is not unlikely. It is a matter of recorded fact.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/05/31/us/ap-us-america-protests-atlanta-excessive-force.html">//%20https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/05/31/us/ap-us-america-protests-atlanta-excessive-force.html
Don't believe everything you think.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27294 time=1591003500 user_id=99
The videos match the eye witness testimony, which match the news reports, and subsequent actions (like those policemen being fired etc). It is not a huge leap to consider the police in these videos are acting irresponsibly here. It is very definitely a leap to try and justify their actions with a 'something else probably happened that makes this acceptable.'

If some damning evidence were to come out that those police were acting properly (as unlikely as it may be) I would of course concede to that, however as is the case with the above video, when the policeman's body cameras are examined for the "full story" the end result is that they are fired.

I'm not "justifying" anything. I'm saying that until all the facts are known and actions examined in light of the evidence available, jumping to conclusions over a 30 second video and some unverified "witness" statement proves nothing

Its unlikely those officers have been "fired", because their jobs (like everyone's should be) have certain protections. This is another conclusion in which you appear to have already attributed guilt, as they are likely to have been suspended pending an investigation into their conduct and actions, and if found to be at fault, they will then be removed from their jobs.

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=27291 time=1591002480 user_id=98
And I accept all your points DD & Borchester, but it also looks like the occupants in the car are scared and reacting out of fright that the police are going to assault them, they don't seem to be acting aggressively, that's all I'm saying - yeah going on a 30 second clip - but then twitter pulled her account so we can't see the whole thing which seems a tad sus... don't you agree? Espesh after the cops have been suspended......

This is kind of dangerous with the way things are in America right now, in NYC a cop car rammed into a group of protesters, cops and violent rioters are both doing insane stuff. It has to calm down or it will keep escalating and there is a serious possibility of a civil war.

Yeah, and I fully get what you are saying. Watching things like this can be distressing - but do people post videos of the huge majority of incidents that pass unreported and without any distress because the officers behaved proportionately and the person being arrested or detained complied? No. Of course they don't. The fact is, when people resist arrest, rightly or wrongly, its never pleasant to watch.

In this particular case (which I think happened in Atlanta), it looks to me personally that the officers over reacted, which is the last thing anyone needs after the George Floyd case. But in mitigation, whether the cars occupants were scared or not, the best thing to do in these circumstances is to follow instructions. The car still appears to be moving even while the officers are attempting to get the occupants to get out. In retrospect and with hindsight, its easy for us to sit on an internet forum and be judge and jury, but in the moment a whole series of risks has to be evaluated in seconds - not least, are the suspects armed, terrorist threats, that cars/vehicles can be used as weapons themselves or as bombs, or that people under the influence of drink or drugs are difficult to deal with even assuming there isn't a full scale riot going on. I think they got it wrong, but under these circumstance its a sad fact that people DO get things wrong - none of us are infallible or immune to fear ourselves, especially when tensions are sky high

The comments from the Atlanta Mayor and the Police Chief are naturally different to what is on "twitter", but its doing society a big dis-service to hide Police brutality and feck ups, but its equally foolish to pretend that everyone who goes on these "demonstrations" are just peace loving hippies who wouldn't harm a fly.

Borg Refinery

There's always a tweet.  :fcplm:

https://ibb.co/hHMd6Cq">
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=27289 time=1591001663 user_id=50
I could use the same "roll eyes" emoticon that someone watches a 30 second video clip, then proceeds to jump to all sorts of conclusions. Would you be happy if 30 second videos were also enough to convict someone of a crime, and we dispensed with evidence based trials?

True, there's no evidence in the video that person is a "menace". Neither do you know what preceded it, whether that person is suspected of committing an offence or has just evaded arrest elsewhere.

You present yourself as a highly intelligent and moral poster, yet you seem to react to these videos at face value without much analysis

The videos match the eye witness testimony, which match the news reports, and subsequent actions (like those policemen being fired etc). It is not a huge leap to consider the police in these videos are acting irresponsibly here. It is very definitely a leap to try and justify their actions with a 'something else probably happened that makes this acceptable.'

If some damning evidence were to come out that those police were acting properly (as unlikely as it may be) I would of course concede to that, however as is the case with the above video, when the policeman's body cameras are examined for the "full story" the end result is that they are fired.

Borg Refinery

And I accept all your points DD & Borchester, but it also looks like the occupants in the car are scared and reacting out of fright that the police are going to assault them, they don't seem to be acting aggressively, that's all I'm saying - yeah going on a 30 second clip - but then twitter pulled her account so we can't see the whole thing which seems a tad sus... don't you agree? Espesh after the cops have been suspended......

This is kind of dangerous with the way things are in America right now, in NYC a cop car rammed into a group of protesters, cops and violent rioters are both doing insane stuff. It has to calm down or it will keep escalating and there is a serious possibility of a civil war.
+++

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27287 time=1591000305 user_id=99
What we do know is that 2 of the officers involved have now been suspended, probably because they did nothing wrong  :roll:

Here's another clip of another officer protecting the public from a menace - https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1267210841595604992?s=21">//%20https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1267210841595604992?s=21

I could use the same "roll eyes" emoticon that someone watches a 30 second video clip, then proceeds to jump to all sorts of conclusions. Would you be happy if 30 second videos were also enough to convict someone of a crime, and we dispensed with evidence based trials?

True, there's no evidence in the video that person is a "menace". Neither do you know what preceded it, whether that person is suspected of committing an offence or has just evaded arrest elsewhere.

You present yourself as a highly intelligent and moral poster, yet you seem to react to these videos at face value without much analysis

Nalaar

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=27272 time=1590989953 user_id=50
We.dont know what happened prior to the video starting.

What we do know is that 2 of the officers involved have now been fired, and several others disciplined, probably because they did nothing wrong  :roll:

Here's another clip of another officer protecting the public from a menace - https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1267210841595604992?s=21">//%20https://twitter.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1267210841595604992?s=21

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=27269 time=1590963813 user_id=98
Well.. feel free to point out what the folks in the car did that was violent and deserved them getting tazed?

They were in the wrong place and carrying stupid mouths.

The first thing a cop wants to do in a riot is show that he is in charge. The second thing is that he is usually a bit hyped up himself. So he does not really want or have time to talk through the issues. In fact all he really wants is for you to say yes sir, no sir, God bless Donald Trump sir.
Algerie Francais !

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=27269 time=1590963813 user_id=98
Well.. feel free to point out what the folks in the car did that was violent and deserved them getting tazed?

I realize that violent protesters have killed cops, and hat that is terrible and means they should be stopped with real force. But you will only fuel a mini civil war if this carries on and non violent protestys get caught up in it.y

The yanks I talk to are cheering it on, calling for shooting people from helicopters and K-9's to be sent in to chew people up etc.

Russia must be laughing their heads off at all of this.

We.dont know what happened prior to the video starting. We don't know if either of the occupants is armed. There is reasonable suspicion that one or both of the occupants is under the influence of drink or drugs. It looks like the driver has failed to stop when ordered to. It looks like having failed to stop one or both occupants fail to follow instructions and get out of the car. Feel free to give us all the benefit of your experience and tell us how it should have been done?

It's easy to look at such things and be critical. I'm not defending the US police, but this is during serious disorder and rioting.

B0ycey

:fcplm:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52868295">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52868295

Antifa will now be declared a terrorist group by Trump. Whey to stoke up tensions more Mr President. These riots aren't going away any time soon with such awesome leadership! :lol:

Borg Refinery

Quote from: DeppityDawg post_id=27265 time=1590962852 user_id=50
Because of course, peaceful protesters always wear a big badge that says "I am a peaceful protester" don't they?

I realize that violent protesters have killed cops, and hat that is terrible and means they should be stopped with real force. But you will only fuel a mini civil war if this carries on and non violent protestys get caught up in it.y

The yanks I talk to are cheering it on, calling for shooting people from helicopters and K-9's to be sent in to chew people up etc.

Russia must be laughing their heads off at all of this.
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=27267 time=1590963566 user_id=51
Not my words.

Please then clarify your words if that is not representative of them.

Barry

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27264 time=1590962566 user_id=99
The account has not been suspended.

My mistake, I clicked a link on her account which took me to https://twitter.com/brittmtv">//https://twitter.com/brittmtv

QuoteIf you think what you can see in that video is reasonable then fine, I disagree.

Not my words.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

Quote from: cromwell post_id=27263 time=1590962525 user_id=48
What I saw was the driver appeared under the influence of a taser  with a mob of cops using him like a christmas cracker,how many needed to arrest two?

Six, sometimes.
† The end is nigh †