George Floyd Riots

Started by B0ycey, May 30, 2020, 01:19:30 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Apparently this particular statue has been the subject of repeated attempts to take it down, or at least change the plaque on it, for many years.

Whatever the rights and wrongs, nobody was physically hurt, and I highly doubt this statue will be put back where it was, which is in my mind not a bad thing.

The people who actually pulled it down will probably be prosecuted and fined, but if I was one of them, I would probably think it was worth it.

It did also strike my mind when thinking of all those who defend this statue on the basis that it's an important commemoration of the "good things" that this person did, perhaps we should erect a statue of Harold Shipman in his hometown to recognise all the young people's lives he saved by giving them antibiotics, or perhaps a statue of Hitler to recognise his efforts at punctual train services, and then see how the victims feel having to walk past it each day.

Borg Refinery

Peaceful protesters in America stopping looters:

There you go, armed supporters of the Floyd protest protecting businesses with AR-15's and poles. No more of this "they all want violence" stuff.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=28321 time=1591623809 user_id=53
Well the inaction of plod  seen our Veterans take up the challenge .The Vets have called for support to protect our Statues and war memorials and will be meeting in Whitehall at noon next Saturday

Lets see if the bastards want to paint spray and burn flags next week  :Patriot:

I saw that earlier but I am not going to provide a reference. (Put it this way knowing some of them I would not want get on the wrong side of them.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Well the inaction of plod  has seen our Veterans take up the challenge .The Vets have called for support to protect our Statues and war memorials and will be meeting in Whitehall at noon next Saturday

Lets see if the bastards want to paint spray and burn flags next week  :Patriot:

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas post_id=28270 time=1591600221 user_id=58
Thats some twisting and spinning there.

The "super biased bbc?" BBC scotland is full of unionist labour lefty toadies , and BBC uk wide is well known for having a left wing bias. Any bias on display would certainly be  FOR these anarchist protests rather than against.

The BBC may have been a little like that in the past, but not anymore it's not. Have you even watched QT with Fiona Bruce recently? Or listened to Nick Robinson? Or 'Brillo'? Or Laura Kuenssberg? Or Derbyshire? Or the BBC news wanchor guy saying how Edward Colston was a great man and a philanthropist and should be celebrated (I don't agree with taking the statue down like that, but they showed their bias yet again)..

I don't at all agree with you here.

Try this.

Dominic Cummings and the battle for Downing Street

By Nicholas Watt

QuoteAs a public schoolboy who went to Oxford and tends to hang round in aristocratic circles, Dominic Cummings is an unlikely champion of the dispossessed.

But the defining mission of his career is to articulate and channel the frustration of voters who feel alienated by what has been described as the Westminster elite. Identifying the anger of these voters helped him deliver the three unequivocal successes of his career – winning a 2004 referendum, which killed off the then Labour government's plans for a political assembly in the north-east of England; winning the 2016 Brexit referendum; and finally helping to mastermind last December's election win as voters in Labour's "Red Wall" in the north of England defected to the Tories.

Cummings believes the fate of Boris Johnson's government will depend on whether it delivers for these "left behind" towns where voters feel little connection with the often more affluent cities. That explains his opposition to HS2, an elitist project in his view which links affluent cities and bypasses towns with greater needs.

As Javid found out this week, Cummings will not allow anyone or anything to get in the way of spending that must, in his view, be targeted at the Red Wall. For him it is about more than trying to keep newly acquired seats in the Tory fold. It is about showing that a whole generation of dispossessed voters can have a stake in society.

For now he is focused on major public spending to rebuild an infrastructure neglected during the years of austerity which he opposed. But Cummings believes that, in the longer term, the best hope for such communities lies in improving the state of schools.

His record on education is also an important way of assessing his likely success in Downing Street. It is the only area where he has previously worked in government.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/09jpSjVUpQ/dominic_cummings_battle_for_downing_street">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/09jpSj ... ing_street">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/09jpSjVUpQ/dominic_cummings_battle_for_downing_street

A clear demonstration of pro Tory bias.

I don't agree with all the aims of the protesters, or all the ways they've gone about it etc, but certainly I'm not going to look down on peaceful protesters who are a bit sick of injustice in America.

Re the protest, I'll take the Police whom I respect far more than Bojo OR the BBC at their word.

The Metropolitan Police's Supt Jo Edwards said following a "predominantly peaceful protest" in the capital, officers were faced with "scenes of violence and disorder" which were "entirely unacceptable".
+++

cromwell

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28296 time=1591609432 user_id=63
I see this has been used for an excuse for a spot of vandalism in Bristol.

Maybe we should destroy everything the slave trade brought Bristol

That should send it back to the dark ages, and it would certainly drop the house prices !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52962356">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52962356

Well TBH John there is always another route,I ain't in favour of statues just being ripped down like that it is part of history perhaps one people don't like but where would it end.....Churchill,Nelsons,Cromwell himself :o

The protests here aren't doing much for halting the spread of the virus and I think the British police model much better trained and disciplined than the Yankee version.

(Stands by for lots of comments about hand wringing,liberal lefty,blindness to my own nations faults :shrg: )

If the majority of the people of Bristol wanted that statue removed then that's their prerogative but not by mob, it might have been worth some explanation of the history it's obvious downsides but context of the times they happened in the area of the statue.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=28302 time=1591611378 user_id=99
How about we just remove their names and statues,

That is more than most people seem to think. Personally I am against removing history from view.

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28301 time=1591611198 user_id=89
If everything the slave trade brought to Bristol were destroyed there would be little of Bristol left.

How about we just remove their names and statues, and keep the buildings. Agreed?
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=28297 time=1591610294 user_id=99
Maybe, but let's at least start with the statues to the slave traders.

If everything the slave trade brought to Bristol were destroyed there would be little of Bristol left.

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28298 time=1591610926 user_id=63
So you're happy to condone violent criminal damage then.

Fine, at least we know where you stand on this.

The reason Avon Police did nothing of course is

a) the city, the council and the police commisisoner are all labour supporters members or appointees and

b) last time the police tried taking on black protestor's crimimality the St Pauls area burned for days.

I don't have much compassion for a slave traders statue.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=28297 time=1591610294 user_id=99

So you're happy to condone violent criminal damage then.

Fine, at least we know where you stand on this.

The reason Avon Police did nothing of course is

a) the city, the council and the police commisisoner are all labour supporters members or appointees and

b) last time the police tried taking on black protestor's crimimality the St Pauls area burned for days.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28296 time=1591609432 user_id=63Maybe we should destroy everything the slave trade brought Bristol

johnofgwent

I see this has been used for an excuse for a spot of vandalism in Bristol.

Maybe we should destroy everything the slave trade brought Bristol

That should send it back to the dark ages, and it would certainly drop the house prices !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52962356">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52962356
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28236 time=1591553933 user_id=48
Did I say to all four  we did?

what you gibbering about then?

Give yerself a big hug and bung 20 quid in the pot for black lives matter to make yourself feelgood about the world.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28227 time=1591543410 user_id=98
Well I condemned the rioters already, but even the super biased BBC was forced to admit that the protest was mostly peaceful.

Thats some twisting and spinning there.

The "super biased bbc?" BBC scotland is full of unionist labour lefty toadies , and BBC uk wide is well known for having a left wing bias. Any bias on display would certainly be  FOR these anarchist protests rather than against.

I think your PM said these "protests" were  "Subverted by thuggery". Thats doesnt sound peacefull to me , nor from what i saw on TV and social media.

We had black boxer anthony joshua causing uproar by encouraging black folk only to shop in black owned stores.

We had black lives matter completely ( yet again) silent on the killing of 77 year old black man  david dorn , former police chief , by a 24 year old black thug in america.

https://time.com/5849888/st-louis-captain-david-dorn-suspect-arrested/">https://time.com/5849888/st-louis-capta ... -arrested/">https://time.com/5849888/st-louis-captain-david-dorn-suspect-arrested/

Which brings us to the stat in 2018 , for every black man killed by a white,  11 blacks were killed by other black men in yank land.

We had the protests here in scotland and the usual idiots in glesga running around screaming black lives matter , with from what i saw on social media , the mass disapproval of the "silent majority" for them breaking the lockdown rules.

We saw the anarchist mob in bristol pulling down a statue , i mean the list goes on. All whipped up by the media and bellends running around screaming .

From what i see  , despite the huggy feel good spin being put on events , there is a growing and angry disapproval of these protests by many.

I dont have too much time this morning to discuss this further , but to me the whole thing is backfiring  on black lives matter .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!