Will Bojo ape Trump...?

Started by patman post, May 30, 2020, 03:09:49 PM

« previous - next »

Hyperduck Quack Quack

Boris Johnson has been through a horrible and scary experience himself so one would like to think that he would err on the side of safety, for example retaining lockdown for longer than was necessary. Sadly lockdown has been eased too early, meaning that a second wave, if it comes, will be bigger.

I think Johnson and Trump are not all that alike, even if they're both products of alt-right populism.  Johnson is a primarily an old-style orator who can shamelessly deliver one kind of boolsheet one day and something completely different the next .  Trump is an all-out confrontationist who creates confrontation to feed his rather unpleasant ego.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=27213 time=1590936812 user_id=51
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-listed-as-a-notifiable-disease">//https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-listed-as-a-notifiable-disease

Maybe your understanding is wrong. Confirmed infections must be notified. People testing positive for antibodies will also be notified as having had it.

I was just remembering when the kids were young and measles was notifiable. Then I am sure we had to contact the doc for confirmation mild or otherwise. That hasn't happened this time.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26995 time=1590848819 user_id=54
Really? How can that be if the advice was that if you only have mild symptoms stay home don't worry medics until you can't breathe?  I understood notifiable was you got on to the doc as soon as.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-listed-as-a-notifiable-disease">//https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-covid-19-listed-as-a-notifiable-disease

Maybe your understanding is wrong. Confirmed infections must be notified. People testing positive for antibodies will also be notified as having had it.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Javert post_id=27180 time=1590926832 user_id=64
I remember sitting at home one Tuesday night, which was the time I felt worse when I had this thing.  It did cross my mind at that point that under any normal circumstances prior to this year, if I had called 111 and described the symptoms I was currently experiencing at that moment, they would have immediately told me to call 999 and I would've been blue lighted to hospital.  However because my symptoms were consistent with Covid-19, they still were telling me to stay at home.

Luckily that was the worst and I started to feel better the next day.

You were lucky. Sadly there seems to have been quite a lot of misunderstanding, minimal training and risk taking in order to avoid overwhelming the medics.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26995 time=1590848819 user_id=54
Really? How can that be if the advice was that if you only have mild symptoms stay home don't worry medics until you can't breathe?  I understood notifiable was you got on to the doc as soon as.

I remember sitting at home one Tuesday night, which was the time I felt worse when I had this thing.  It did cross my mind at that point that under any normal circumstances prior to this year, if I had called 111 and described the symptoms I was currently experiencing at that moment, they would have immediately told me to call 999 and I would've been blue lighted to hospital.  However because my symptoms were consistent with Covid-19, they still were telling me to stay at home.

Luckily that was the worst and I started to feel better the next day.

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=27067 time=1590863017 user_id=70
Sage has social scientists and behaviour experts. I don't see that asking the Sage representative whether the actions of those associated with government influence public attitudes to government instructions is out of order...

Well no I guess you wouldn't.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=27019 time=1590851446 user_id=54
Aw come on that's twisting it if ever I saw it. If you are referring to the media attempt to ask the science people about Cummings then that's really out of order.  Why on earth would anyone expect them to comment? It was just a chance to make the PM look irrelevant. Goodness me I can't believe you mentioned that.

Sage has social scientists and behaviour experts. I don't see that asking the Sage representative whether the actions of those associated with government influence public attitudes to government instructions is out of order...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=27015 time=1590850920 user_id=70
How do we know? Until today, Advisors' advice has not been publicly stated. Just in the last few days Johnson refused to allow a scientist answer a direct question at the daily press conference until he'd been warned not to encroach on the PM's territory...

Aw come on that's twisting it if ever I saw it. If you are referring to the media attempt to ask the science people about Cummings then that's really out of order.  Why on earth would anyone expect them to comment? It was just a chance to make the PM look irrelevant. Goodness me I can't believe you mentioned that.

patman post

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26987 time=1590848417 user_id=54............The scientists have made their best effort, it just hasn't been good enough................

How do we know? Until today, Advisors' advice has not been publicly stated. Just in the last few days Johnson refused to allow a scientist answer a direct question at the daily press conference until he'd been warned not to encroach on the PM's territory...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=26993 time=1590848632 user_id=51
It is a notifiable disease, Toots.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26987 time=1590848417 user_id=54
It could have been made a notifiable disease, but no they only counted the dying.

It is a notifiable disease, Toots.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: T00ts post_id=26987 time=1590848417 user_id=54
At the end of the day he has done his best so far to keep us safe as he saw it. A large part of the electorate have spat in his face and they are obviously now doing their own thing. What will not go away is our entry into the free world post EU. He needs now to look forward and those that survive the virus will still need to survive. We need to be out there selling - and fast.

The scientists have made their best effort, it just hasn't been good enough. We are now once again on our way to herd immunity. For those who feel confident that they have had it the sun is too much of a lure. If we had all had to report the symptoms as we had them, there would be a better chance of knowing the real numbers. It could have been made a notifiable disease, but no they only counted the dying.

ps - God broke the mould when he produced Trump.

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=26983 time=1590847789 user_id=70
Now leading scientists are questioning the speed of Johnson's easing of the lock-down, will we see No10 dismissing the expert advisors and replacing them with more-pliable personnel as the White House does regularly does...?

At the end of the day he has done his best so far to keep us safe as he saw it. A large part of the electorate have spat in his face and they are obviously now doing their own thing. What will not go away is our entry into the free world post EU. He needs now to look forward and those that survive the virus will still need to survive. We need to be out there selling - and fast.

The scientists have made their best effort, it just hasn't been good enough. We are now once again on our way to herd immunity. For those who feel confident that they have had it the sun is too much of a lure. If we had all had to report the symptoms as we had them, there would be a better chance of knowing the real numbers. It could have been made a notifiable disease, but no they only counted the dying.

B0ycey

He is already "aping" Trump in regards to maintaining the BS narrative at all costs. And cronyism. Although I don't think he will go as far as Trump as to call this a hoax even if the R0 goes up past 1 and perhaps just reinforce the message of danger further.

Although I do find it amazing that caution is still paramount with scientists despite being wrong on numerous occasions and in all likelihood I doubt the R0 will go up past 1. Speculation isn't realisation.

patman post

Now leading scientists are questioning the speed of Johnson's easing of the lock-down, will we see No10 dismissing the expert advisors and replacing them with more-pliable personnel as the White House does regularly does...?