Ibuprofen as a Covid19 treatment?

Started by B0ycey, June 03, 2020, 06:25:32 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=27630 time=1591194469 user_id=89
I am banned that as well.
So no chewing on willow bark for you then...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=27629 time=1591193488 user_id=70

Aspirin is enjoying a resurgence

I am banned that as well.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

I doubt the end of suck-it-and-see treatments for Covid is near while its cause, prevention and cure are still to be found. And it could be the adverse side affect of a drug that will be found to be useful in Covid's treatment.

Aspirin is enjoying a resurgence for its blood thinning and anti cancer properties after being treated as a general cure-all from 1900 and then demonised for causing ulcers. And some antidepressants have been found to counteract pain and incontinence, while other medications for rheumatism or prostate problems now also sell as baldness treatments.

I think we could be forgiven for wondering if medicine is mostly an inexact science that's hardly moved away from the Cadfael era...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

I was reading an account of this trial just now.

I'm quite interested. I have absolutely sod all idea how the pharmacology of this would provide any useful input to aiding the infected, but it's definitely interesting if it does.

And yes, there are side effects.

Opren was banned as an NSAID after it worked wonderfully at fixing the inflammation in the joints but killed too many people with organ failure.

But that's another story.

Ah well, popcorn time then
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Javert

To be fair to the scientists, they never said they had solid evidence that Ibuprofen would make Covid-19 worse - they just said that it was a viable but untested theory based on other known effects of ibuprofen in some people.

papasmurf

I am banned ibuprofen, it causes haemorrhaging.  (A fairly common side effect.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

B0ycey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52894638">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52894638

Interesting article considering at the start of the pandemic Ibuprofen was regarded as dangerous and as paracetamol emptied the shelves, Ibuprofen was always fully stocked. Now it could treat breathing difficulties in those who catch the virus. What a reverse of fortunes for the drug.

Just another example of the reactionary science leading our policy making in the early days of the pandemic and the more time goes on, as we learn more, we are reversing some of those views.