Organ donation - Thought Experiment

Started by Nalaar, June 05, 2020, 03:14:07 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=27947 time=1591366447 user_id=99
Below I present a small thought experiment that I invite others to think about, and post if you like. I've tried to keep the details as clean as possible.

- - -

You go for a hospital appointment and while there discover that you are a perfect organ match for 3 dying people. One needs a heart, the second a Liver, and the third two lungs.

You can chose be euthanised, and donate your organs to the other 3 people. Alternatively you can choose not to donate and they will die. Do you feel there is a moral pressure to prefer 3 other lives over yours?

Also consider an alternative scenario. You are in hospital, suffering from multiple organ failure, you need a new heart, liver, and two lungs. You discover that their are 3 matching donors who are in for routine checkups.

You can chose to have these people euthanised, and have their organs donated to you. alternatively you can choose to do nothing and you will die. Do you feel there is a moral pressure to prefer 3 other lives over yours?

In both cases you are the only decision maker.

What decisions do you make in each case, and if they differ outcome - why?

1. Nope.

2. I expect organs off of dead people as the NHS doesn't expect to euthanize anyone to take their organs does it.

Only kidneys can be donated while alive.

This was a silly question, really.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=27951 time=1591366924 user_id=89
I think you really do need to get a life.

I take it that means you won't be donating then?

You blue monster.
+++

papasmurf

I think you really do need to get a life.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Below I present a small thought experiment that I invite others to think about, and post if you like. I've tried to keep the details as clean as possible.

- - -

You go for a hospital appointment and while there discover that you are a perfect organ match for 3 dying people. One needs a heart, the second a Liver, and the third two lungs.

You can chose be euthanised, and donate your organs to the other 3 people. Alternatively you can choose not to donate and they will die. Do you feel there is a moral pressure to prefer 3 other lives over yours?

Also consider an alternative scenario. You are in hospital, suffering from multiple organ failure, you need a new heart, liver, and two lungs. You discover that their are 3 matching donors who are in for routine checkups.

You can chose to have these people euthanised, and have their organs donated to you. alternatively you can choose to do nothing and you will die. Do you feel there is a moral pressure to prefer 3 other lives over yours?

In both cases you are the only decision maker.

What decisions do you make in each case, and if they differ outcome - why?
Don't believe everything you think.