Postmaster prosecution

Started by Nalaar, June 08, 2020, 12:56:58 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Now Income to think I of it it's probably even more than 10 years ago I was first reading this in Computer Weekly.

Another example of people having to fight corrupt behaviour for decades before getting any justice.

They also had a campaign about the Chinook crash as well.

patman post

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28376 time=1591638660 user_id=98
Keeping the IT system in-house might have been preferable to outsourcing it to a dodgy company though.

The days when the then GPO had real computer expertise are long gone. That's probably why government's darling ICL got the contract. Civil servants no doubt forgot ICL had been using Fujitsu (and some Siemens) technology for decades and later became part of the Japanese company...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borg Refinery

Keeping the IT system in-house might have been preferable to outsourcing it to a dodgy company though.
+++

patman post

Paula Vennells, Post Office chief executive from 2012 to 2019 was awarded a CBE in 2019 for "services to the Post Office and to charity". That same year the Post Office was blasted by the High Court for its 'institutional obstinacy or refusal to consider' that its Horizon computer system might be flawed. Just this March, Kevan Jones, MP, said: "Obviously, as a board member she knew what was going on, including the strategy in the court case and the bugs in the system. What happened? She got a CBE in the new year's honours list for services to the Post Office.....There is a case for her having that honour removed..."

What's worse is that Post Office is a government owned company...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Javert

Yes this story has been going on for a long time - years I think - it seemed to start out in IT journals who were questioning the post office who were saying something along the lines that it's totally impossible for any computer system to do anything wrong or have any bugs.  :ZIP:

It is indeed a scandal and many lives have been ruined by this.  I guess we won't hold our breath to see someone held responsible for it, as to me this was almost certainly the result of someone covering things up to protect their own ambition and career.

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28315 time=1591617953 user_id=98
Puts a new slant on 'robbing post offices'!  :shock:

I heard a bit about this but that's far worsr than I thought. All jailed should be given millions in comp for that terrible miscarriage of justice, wrongly jailing a pregnant woman is simply unbelievable.

The wonders of privatization...

Unfortunately for a significant number any compensation would have to be awarded posthumously.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Puts a new slant on 'robbing post offices'!  :shock:

I heard a bit about this but that's far worsr than I thought. All jailed should be given millions in comp for that terrible miscarriage of justice, wrongly jailing a pregnant woman is simply unbelievable.

The wonders of privatization...
+++

papasmurf

They should but won't get a substantial compensation payout.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Have been following this story for a while. The way Postmasters have been treated is horrendous.

The more details emerge, the worse it gets.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52905378?__twitter_impression=true">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-52905378?__twitter_impression=true
Don't believe everything you think.