Khan orders review of Londons History

Started by Streetwalker, June 09, 2020, 10:52:50 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 13, 2020, 08:19:02 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53031072

Looks like Saddo Khan't is hell bent on protecting his hero Nelson Mandela despite his murderous past as a terrorist.

Not surprised.

I never realized the mayor had a past as a murderous terrorist... did he kill white south african farmers or maybe help the folks at dsei fairs export weaponry that shot them? I mean that would make sense.

...khaaaaaaan. What a saddo khan't indeed.

But you're right, Mandela was a terrorist fighting a terrorist state. I know the story..it was wonderful in SA (and Rhodesia) and perfect etc, but you know even right wing western govts decided they were just a bit out of order and that Mandela even though he was a terrorist, was still less of a terrorist than them, and that says it all.
+++

Good old

Khan, should be looking to protect all statues. For good or bad they and their legacy belong to everyone on this island.
All are products of their time ,and should only be seen in that light, warts and all.  For instance the average slave trader, might well have hung a white man for stealing a loaf. And  been applauded for it. Baden-Powell, would have been homophobic , He was against being illegal, he was required by law to oppose homosexuality .

johnofgwent

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53031072

Looks like Saddo Khan't is hell bent on protecting his hero Nelson Mandela despite his murderous past as a terrorist.

Not surprised.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

Taking down statues, is fine if done on the basis of  the subject no longer being relevant to how we are now. But we are what we are now because of the actions of even slave traders. So they remain relevant. They remain fact. They are a big part of our history , what ever your ethnicity, if your British, they are your history. Taking down a statue will not change what history has created.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 11, 2020, 01:26:32 PM
<r><QUOTE author="cromwell" post_id="28767" time="1591878297" user_id="48">>
Quote from: cromwell post_id=28767 time=1591878297 user_id=48
[/b]

And that's what we don't want,nutters from both sides raising the stakes.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Anyone know how far Maggie Thatcher's statue is from the Thames?</r>

Margret's statue is inside the Houses of Parliament . For now pretty safe from the mob .. There was talk of another in Grantham but Im not sure if that was ever made .

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell post_id=28767 time=1591878297 user_id=48
[/b]

Anyone know how far Maggie Thatcher's statue is from the Thames?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: Baff post_id=28762 time=1591875421 user_id=121
This will turn into Blackshirts vs Brownshirts if left to fester.

I think the Football Buys or some such are out to "protect all the statues".

Not one hundred % sure how to police this, but it does have to be policed and people have to be prosecuted for vandalism and these acts visibly and publicly curbed.

By use of truncheon and teargas if necessary.

If the police don't do it, Some Tommy Robinson will.
[/b]

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff post_id=28762 time=1591875421 user_id=121

Some of the statues that have been threatened will be protected by people that the protesters will not want mess with.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

Quote from: Barry post_id=28715 time=1591821341 user_id=51
The government, local government and police need to get a grip of this. Before we have even more bloodshed on the streets. Stop gatherings of more than 20 people. No demos allowed. Then enforce it, with the army if necessary.

This will turn into Blackshirts vs Brownshirts if left to fester.

Not one hundred % sure how to police this, but it does have to be policed and people have to be prosecuted for vandalism and these acts visibly and publicly curbed.

By use of truncheon and teargas if necessary.

If the police don't do it, Some Tommy Robinson will.

Borg Refinery

Statues that should be smashed by this Gill guy (l'll do it my feckin self)

Fiona MacCarthy wrote a biography of the sculptor and typographer Eric Gill in 1989 that dropped a small bomb on the art world.

Gill was one of the most respected artists of the 20th Century. His statue Prospero and Ariel adorns the BBC's Broadcasting House and the Creation of Adam is in the lobby of the Palais des Nations, now the European HQ of the United Nations in Geneva.

But MacCarthy's book revealed that he regularly had sex with two of his daughters, his sisters and even the family dog. These encounters he recorded in his diary.

Piece of work

For some of Gill's fans, even looking at his work became impossible. Most problematically, he was a Catholic convert who created some of the most popular devotional art of his era, such as the Stations of the Cross in Westminster Cathedral, where worshippers pray at each panel depicting the suffering of Jesus.

Eric Gill works on Prospero and Ariel at the BBC's Broadcasting House

Gill's work remains popular

In 1998, spurred on by a cardinal's praise for Gill, Margaret Kennedy, who campaigns for Ministers and Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors, called for the works to be removed.

"Survivors couldn't pray at the Stations of the Cross. They were done by a paedophile. The very hands that carved the stations were the hands that abused.

"He abused his maids, his prostitutes, animals, he was having sex with everything that moved - a very deranged man sexually."

But the Catholic Church would not budge an inch. The former Westminster Cathedral administrator, Bishop George Stack, retains an unequivocal view.

"There was no consideration given to taking these down. A work of art stands in its own right. Once it has been created it takes on a life of its own."

It might be easier to make this argument for the Stations of the Cross than for nude sketches of Gill's teenage daughter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6979731.stm">http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6979731.stm

:barf:

I feel like barfing, but the article makes interesting points beyond that deranged sicko's statues.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nalaar post_id=28717 time=1591821919 user_id=99
That's just not the society we live in (thankfully)

:thup:
+++

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry post_id=28715 time=1591821341 user_id=51
The government, local government and police need to get a grip of this. Before we have even more bloodshed on the streets. Stop gatherings of more than 20 people. No demos allowed. Then enforce it, with the army if necessary.

That's just not the society we live in (thankfully)
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28702 time=1591816653 user_id=63
well yes I DO think racially aggravated criminal damage on a par with looting and rioting.

More to the point, I am old enough to remember the St Paul's area of Bristol burning because black lawbreakers knew they could break the law and get away with it.

And as I said, the issue here is that the forces of law and order, and the head of the elected local government, see no problem in allowing these actions to go unchallenged.

Which means the precedent has been set.

† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28685 time=1591813245 user_id=98

If you think it's on par with looting, rioting ...

well yes I DO think racially aggravated criminal damage on a par with looting and rioting.

More to the point, I am old enough to remember the St Paul's area of Bristol burning because black lawbreakers knew they could break the law and get away with it.

And as I said, the issue here is that the forces of law and order, and the head of the elected local government, see no problem in allowing these actions to go unchallenged.

Which means the precedent has been set.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borg Refinery

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28683 time=1591812587 user_id=63
No, it isn't "just a few statues"

It is a group of extremists hell bent on violent / criminal overthrow of what THEY deem distasteful despite the public making a statement that distasteful or not it SHOULD STAY PUT, with a police force who are supposed to keep law and order deciding that NOT keeping law and order is probably a better idea  - giving the criminals the clear message they cam act criminally whenever and wherever they like, followed by the elected mayor of the city in question saying that the act of criminal damage was no great problem and the stature will not be missed as after all HE found it "an affront".

There is another "white men need to bend over and take it up the shitter" march in Newport on Thursday.

It is, usefully, going to end at the Crown Courts.

But I wonder what will be done in Newport given the clear signal from Bristol that no lawbreaking will be regarded as lawbreaking.

(shrugs)

If you think it's on par with looting, rioting and erecting barricades with semi-auto guns (in the hands of protesters) as happened in Seattle, or this..

https://ibb.co/2s605rF">

Or Antifa with guns (!!!!!!!!!!!)

...Then I'm really not sure what else to suggest, um..ok if it makes you feel better I don't see the point in desecrating the statues, if they wanted to they should've gotten them removed into museums, clearly most local authorities have their support.

It's not the same and no we aren't "going to hell in a handcart" because some Antifalfa techno veganarchists decided to blight a few crumbling old statues.
+++