Khan orders review of Londons History

Started by Streetwalker, June 09, 2020, 10:52:50 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

All councils across the UK are now 'reviewing' statues . A who's who of Colonial Britain is about to be unleashed .

I see Cecil Rhodes is in danger at Oxford university .  Maybe the Rhodes scholarship which helps African  students (among others) study at Oxford will be better used elsewhere .

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28521 time=1591719803 user_id=89
One in Parliament Square London.

OK. Anywhere else ? I try hard not to fund Saddo Khan'ts fiefdom.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/statue-18th-century-slaver-robert-milligan-in-east-london-to-be-removed-as-soon-as-possible-a4464341.html">https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 64341.html">https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/statue-18th-century-slaver-robert-milligan-in-east-london-to-be-removed-as-soon-as-possible-a4464341.html

First on Khans hit list comes down this evening . Liberal MP for Bradford and cotton plantation owner .  

I suppose the cotton supplied Bradfords Mills creating wealth for that town .

Borchester

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=28553 time=1591727566 user_id=103

Re Napoleon, he was toppled from a column in Paris very similar to the one in Trafalgar Square, in the mid 19th century.

And afterward, Gustave Courbet, whose had suggested toppling the column, was ordered to pay for it to be rebuilt.

So Duckie, when you appear on the telly tugging at the rope that pulls Nelson off his perch, you may get a warm glow from Marvin Rees' words of praise, but I reckon you will feel even more hot and bothered by the bill Priti Patel will send
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=28553 time=1591727566 user_id=103
My first post about pulling Nelson's Column down was apolitical, just musing about the practicalities of dealing with a statue on a very tall column.

The Irish blew up their Nelson's Column in Dublin in 1966. I think a more measured dismantling would be better.  Now I've been reminded that Nelson was involved in the slave trade and wasn't a nice person, perhaps his statue should be removed. But the column should stay so that something else can be put on top, like maybe a giant bronze pigeon that flaps its wings, squirts out white foam and makes a loud coo-ing noise on the hour, every hour. That would be cool, and so neo-post-modern.

Why yes, we could put you on top.  :-P
+++

Javert

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=28455 time=1591696520 user_id=89
I am against erasing history no matter how unpleasant or inconvenient  that history is.

I agree, but for example there is a difference between a historical statue in a museum or historical context with correct labelling, and one which glorifies that person's reputation.

Hyperduck Quack Quack

My first post about pulling Nelson's Column down was apolitical, just musing about the practicalities of dealing with a statue on a very tall column.

The Irish blew up their Nelson's Column in Dublin in 1966. I think a more measured dismantling would be better.  Now I've been reminded that Nelson was involved in the slave trade and wasn't a nice person, perhaps his statue should be removed. But the column should stay so that something else can be put on top, like maybe a giant bronze pigeon that flaps its wings, squirts out white foam and makes a loud coo-ing noise on the hour, every hour. That would be cool, and so neo-post-modern.

Re Napoleon, he was toppled from a column in Paris very similar to the one in Trafalgar Square, in the mid 19th century.

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28545 time=1591724848 user_id=98
, although his pref for Patel has me slightly concerned.  :-P

The "Angel of Death" is unfit for any public office.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=28541 time=1591724231 user_id=53
Borkie is wrong but there you go he can't be right all the time  . He does come from North London which is a sort of neutral zone before the North .

:lol:

As an ex-north londoner I can confirm this..

QuoteIm South Croydon now which has been never trust a Tory for as long as I can remember

True, most of Croydon is Tory along with much of outer London. My old constituency (Stokey) is diehard Lab too, but my old man's one, Woolwich, is Tory now after being solidly Lab for a long time as I recall, curiously places like Eltham have gone red  :shock: . Oh well, Brexit has turned everything on its head I guess.

I think borkie's right about Khan, the Tories put forward incredibly poor candidates, although his pref for Patel has me slightly concerned.  :-P
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=28534 time=1591722850 user_id=62
They will pull the whole column down. Remember, not only did he support the slave trade, he also opposed Napoleon's proto type EU. Effectively, Nelson was not merely a racist but a Brexiter. And  sexist. Given half a chance he would have onto Priti Patel like a rat up a drainpipe

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Dynamis post_id=28529 time=1591721194 user_id=98
Even Borkie thinks Saddo was better than all the other candidates..what does that say? He's not wrong either.  :-P I note that Croydon central voted Lab.. sour grapes? :)

I don't know if you've seen that awful advert where the woman records a video message for herself in 6 months, but I thought the south london version of that message would go "I'll be waiting outside for me in 6 months mate". (well my Dad found that funny and he's from south london so..).

Borkie is wrong but there you go he cant be right all the time  . He does come from North London which is a sort of neutral zone before the North .

Im South Croydon now which has been never trust a Tory for as long as I can remember

Thomas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28519 time=1591719601 user_id=63
is there a statue of nelson mandela's missus anywhere ? I think if so it could benefit from a neklace or two. just to even things up .

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Quote from: "Hyperduck Quack Quack" post_id=28473 time=1591702402 user_id=103
When Nelson's turn comes, will they pull his statue off the top of the column or pull the whole column over?

They will pull the whole column down. Remember, not only did he support the slave trade, he also opposed Napoleon's proto type EU. Effectively, Nelson was not merely a racist but a Brexiter. And  sexist. Given half a chance he would have onto Priti Patel like a rat up a drainpipe
Algerie Francais !

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=28526 time=1591720616 user_id=53
It says there are too many left wingers living in it   :(  :(  You know ,vote Labour , vote remain ,vote

for a Saddo . Sort of all fits .

Even Borkie thinks Saddo was better than all the other candidates..what does that say? He's not wrong either.  :-P I note that Croydon central voted Lab.. sour grapes? :)

I don't know if you've seen that awful advert where the woman records a video message for herself in 6 months, but I thought the south london version of that message would go "I'll be waiting outside for me in 6 months mate". (well my Dad found that funny and he's from south london so..).
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=28519 time=1591719601 user_id=63
is there a statue of nelson mandela's missus anywhere ? I think if so it could benefit from a neklace or two. just to even things up .

Not as far as I know , but give it time   :barf: