Khan orders review of Londons History

Started by Streetwalker, June 09, 2020, 10:52:50 AM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on June 25, 2020, 11:27:52 AM
Quote from: MrMonkey23 on June 25, 2020, 11:02:12 AM
I have posted on another thread ref Nelson Mandela so wont re post the whole thing, however, I do think if khan wants to remove statues of people he feels are unsavories, he needs to consider statues where the subjects are not white, such as mr mandella...  unless khan is a, dare I say, racist, who does not like white people
Khan is like his predecessors another unnecessary tier of govt with delusional thoughts where they think they should pontificate even on the international stage about things other than what they are supposedly there for.
A bit like police and crime commissioners something else foisted on a disinterested public and all in place to divert from the failures of central govt. past and present.

Oh gosh yes! A fantasy created a la USA mode when Blair was in power and in awe of anything American. A totally unnecessary decision that has only allowed power to London to imagine that it's a separate country. Other cities are beginning to follow suit.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 25, 2020, 11:27:52 AM

A bit like police and crime commissioners something else foisted on a disinterested public and all in place to divert from the failures of central govt. past and present.

There are waste of time and taxpayers money.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: MrMonkey23 on June 25, 2020, 11:02:12 AM
I have posted on another thread ref Nelson Mandela so wont re post the whole thing, however, I do think if khan wants to remove statues of people he feels are unsavories, he needs to consider statues where the subjects are not white, such as mr mandella...  unless khan is a, dare I say, racist, who does not like white people
Khan is like his predecessors another unnecessary tier of govt with delusional thoughts where they think they should pontificate even on the international stage about things other than what they are supposedly there for.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

MrMonkey23

patman post

Everything's connected if you follow Frigyes Karinthy's concept "six degrees of separation"; plus I guess it's a good playground game — and useful for bashing the Guardian and Mail over past proprietor's distant dalliances...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Yes Pat, it's not as if they were in any way connected.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 04:52:05 PMExactly

During a speech in Munsieville on 13 April 1986, Winnie Mandela endorsed the practice of necklacing (burning people alive using tyres and petrol) by saying: "With our boxes of matches and our necklaces we shall liberate this country."
And she did.
Not sure where the reference to Nelson Mandela's divorced wife fits in. She was condemned by the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa and the ANC in exile (for her reign of terror is Soweto), and also found "politically and morally accountable for the gross violations of human rights" by the Mandela government's Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
Added to which it was Nelson Mandela's statue I was considering...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Quote from: patman post on June 19, 2020, 03:43:53 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on June 13, 2020, 08:19:02 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53031072

Looks like Saddo Khan't is hell bent on protecting his hero Nelson Mandela despite his murderous past as a terrorist.

Not surprised.
In a head-to-head of statues of Mandela and Rhodes, Mandela's could claim the plinth because its side defeated apartheid, the basis of which Rhodes supported.

Claims that Mandela had a "murderous past as a terrorist", conveniently neglect his support for the ANC's non-violence policy, which was brutally tested and overturned when the South African Police massacred 69 Black strikers at Sharpeville in 1960 and the state banned the ANC...
Exactly

During a speech in Munsieville on 13 April 1986, Winnie Mandela endorsed the practice of necklacing (burning people alive using tyres and petrol) by saying: "With our boxes of matches and our necklaces we shall liberate this country."
And she did.
† The end is nigh †

GregB

Quote from: patman post on June 19, 2020, 03:43:53 PMClaims that Mandela had a "murderous past as a terrorist", conveniently neglect his support for the ANC's non-violence policy, which was brutally tested and overturned when the South African Police massacred 69 Black strikers at Sharpeville in 1960 and the state banned the ANC...

Conveniently
Quote from: patman post on June 19, 2020, 03:43:53 PM

Looks like Saddo Khan't is hell bent on protecting his hero Nelson Mandela despite his murderous past as a terrorist.

Not surprised.
In a head-to-head of statues of Mandela and Rhodes, Mandela's could claim the plinth because its side defeated apartheid, the basis of which Rhodes supported.

Claims that Mandela had a "murderous past as a terrorist", conveniently neglect his support for the ANC's non-violence policy, which was brutally tested and overturned when the South African Police massacred 69 Black strikers at Sharpeville in 1960 and the state banned the ANC...

Ah I see, so your happy to excuse his murderous terrorist past then.

patman post

Not surprised.

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 18, 2020, 01:30:37 PM
Quote from: MrMonkey23 on June 18, 2020, 10:48:31 AM
Was the Prophet Muhammed involved with the slave trade?  Although I disagree with the removal of statues and such like, surely we should start taking his pictures down too?

I don't  think the muslims take too kindly to depictions of the  prophet so would probably be in agreement if you could find any likenesses of him .
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: MrMonkey23 on June 18, 2020, 10:48:31 AM
Was the Prophet Muhammed involved with the slave trade?  Although I disagree with the removal of statues and such like, surely we should start taking his pictures down too?

I don't  think the muslims take too kindly to depictions of the  prophet so would probably be in agreement if you could find any likenesses of him .

MrMonkey23

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Borchester on June 13, 2020, 02:15:22 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 13, 2020, 10:12:02 AM

I never realized the mayor had a past as a murderous terrorist...

It is worse than that.

Poor old Saddo wanted to be leader of the Labour party and became mayor as an inbetween job until Jeremy imploded. And now he has lost out to Keir Hardie and he is stuck trying to sort out the 113 bus route and blame his failings on Donald Trump.

Saddo is not a bad bloke, but I do miss Boris and Ken.

I lived around Stokey through the 90s and 00s and moved in 2013; first to enfield for a bit, but left for Hastings the same year.

I felt that Ken (despite his many many failings and racist comments) was mostly a good mayor; his fare's fare policy was good - but he did help with the creep of gentrification, I'm sure you as a north londoner have also seen your area (think you mentioned Tottenham?) being ruined by that.

...I would say Boris took that into hyperdrive. To me, his name is synonymous with gentrification. So much of the old character of London is gone now; replaced with faceless hipstery vegan soy rubbish mirrored around the western world - where individuality is drowned out by the relentless march of 'money talks'.

My area is apparently now known as a 'des res' for high flying investment bankers - even the LONG long established haredi Jewish community are starting to feel nervous about being pushed out.

I think that's a shame. I think 'saddo' has largely continued Boorish Boris's work in this capacity and they are both saddo's. I lament the loss of London, I really do.
+++

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on June 13, 2020, 10:12:02 AM

I never realized the mayor had a past as a murderous terrorist...

It is worse than that.

Poor old Saddo wanted to be leader of the Labour party and became mayor as an inbetween job until Jeremy imploded. And now he has lost out to Keir Hardie and he is stuck trying to sort out the 113 bus route and blame his failings on Donald Trump.

Saddo is not a bad bloke, but I do miss Boris and Ken.
Algerie Francais !