United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Nobody's found any evidence of cheating in the election yet, but just suppose there had been cheating with the mail-in ballots, why assume it would just be Democrat voters that cheated and not Republican ones?

Quote from: HDQQ on November 09, 2020, 11:45:30 AMCan't abide Biden but he has won so time to move on,Nigel Farage said Trump would have won by a country mile if there hadn't been postal votes,and he's 100% correct......mind city would've won 25-0 yesterday if the dippers were denied a goalie and defenders forbidden to defend.

Farage is a fine one to talk. It has been said that it was postal votes that secured a majority for leaving the EU and that the majority of people who voted in person did so for remain. We'll never know how true that was but given that pro Brexit opinion was at its highest when there were thousands of refugees crossing into Hungary etc., a few weeks before the referendum, it's quite possible.

If Trump is able to overturn this presidential election result, that's giving carte blanche to any aggrieved losing side in any country to try and reverse an election result or referendum.

As a former remainer (now I'm a rejoiner) I'm used to having people spouting "will of the people" wwhenever I say anything. Now Biden is the "will of the people" in the USA and there are no moral grounds for Trump being allowed a second term. (well, maybe in 2024 if he enters and wins fair and square then - but let's not even go there.)

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

HDQQ

Double post - oops - read the next one. Or use this space to cool of and meditate before the next bout.

Streetwalker

Quote from: cromwell on November 09, 2020, 10:07:59 AM
Can't abide Biden but he has won so time to move on,Nigel Farage said Trump would have won by a country mile if there hadn't been postal votes,and he's 100% correct......mind city would've won 25-0 yesterday if the dippers were denied a goalie and defenders forbidden to defend.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/07/nigel-farage-says-trump-would-have-won-by-country-mile-without-postal-votes-13556425/

There was a woman on the TV this morning from the USA who was suggesting that after the polls had closed the Democrats were voting by post for those who had not bothered to vote . Its why the Trump camp were saying stop counting .

Maybe a load of nonsense but if true America has a problem .

cromwell

Can't abide Biden but he has won so time to move on,Nigel Farage said Trump would have won by a country mile if there hadn't been postal votes,and he's 100% correct......mind city would've won 25-0 yesterday if the dippers were denied a goalie and defenders forbidden to defend.
https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/07/nigel-farage-says-trump-would-have-won-by-country-mile-without-postal-votes-13556425/
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borg Refinery

So the vote contractor in 33 states has links to Pelosi and Feinstein's hubby.   ;D And was used in Venezuelan elections.  ;D

Nothing funny going on there. 🤣😸
+++

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on November 07, 2020, 04:55:19 PM
^^^
Always supposing Trump doesn't get a deal of no prosecution in return for leaving semi-quietly...

He is currently still seeking legal action over counting, according to statements released yesterday. It remains to be seen if those come about on Monday.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

This morning Jeremy Corbyn's blue badged twatter account put up a message congratulating Biden on defeating Trump.

I hear Venezuelans are rushing to re-enter Venezuela....

And I'm looking for what odds Paddy power will give on a £5 bet that Trump is president in 2024....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on November 07, 2020, 05:14:06 PM
Biden has 273. Trump it's over.

Oh Wow. Really - I missed it! Now the fun really starts.

Barry

† The end is nigh †

patman post

^^^
Always supposing Trump doesn't get a deal of no prosecution in return for leaving semi-quietly...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

HDQQ

Quote from: patman post on November 07, 2020, 03:13:32 PM
You could be right %u2014 but I don't currently see too many Trump supporters "have turned against him".
Unless the Republicans take on board the fact Trump is not a Republican, and that the party only went with him because his brand of populism was vote winning, he could be causing problems for some time yet...

How the Republicans handle such a rogue president now could have implications for their effectiveness in real politics with real issues over the coming years and even into the next presidential election in 4 years time. Once Trump is out of office there might be a lot more 'stuff' to come out about him. In any case, he can't be of much use to the party any more.

patman post

Quote from: Javert on November 06, 2020, 05:33:22 PMAs such, they rigged the system so that rural states like the Rust belt ones had more voting power per head of population than the highly populated ones, and I suspect that this difference has become even more pronounced over time.
Rust Belt states contain cities like Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, etc, and were all thriving industrial states until the '80s. The word "Rust" indicates how they've fallen on hard times and been left to ..... Rust.
The disparity between the say different states have in the government of the US, seems to have been apparent  for 50 years or more...

PS — apologies for appearing to monopolise this thread, but this is only the second US presidential election that I've found to have entertainment value too.
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on November 07, 2020, 01:28:18 PM
I was speculating before on the crisis that would arise if Trump won the presidential election, in the light of his disgraceful behaviour during the count. Thankfully it now looks very unlikely he could win but even so there's a lot of damage he could do in the two and a bit months left of his term. It would be but a small step in his mindset to see him blaming the American people for his downfall, that could be very dangerous. So now I'm wondering if there will be attempts to remove him from office immediately, given that a lot of Republican politicians seem to have turned against him and now see him as a liability. A couple of months of President Pence would be a small price to pay for calming down the political climate in the USA, which has effects beyond its borders.
You could be right — but I don't currently see too many Trump supporters "have turned against him".
Unless the Republicans take on board the fact Trump is not a Republican, and that the party only went with him because his brand of populism was vote winning, he could be causing problems for some time yet...

patman post

Quote from: patman post on November 06, 2020, 03:13:35 pm
Trump has does his bit for the US economy and kept his country out of foreign wars and that should have been enough to secure him a second term. Unfortunately, he has the manners of a badly brought up hog, so that is him buggered.

Never posted this, so I assume a mistake has occurred — but as there's already a poster lying about what I post, I thought I'd point it out.

I did ask this:
Quote from: patman post on November 06, 2020, 03:13:35 pm
Is the UK electoral system(s) as easy to manipulate and disrupt by one person as the US system appears to be?

Quote from: Borchester on November 06, 2020, 04:19:04 PM
No, it isn't. In the UK governments are formed by the number of seats they manage to obtain. There are certain problems with this, but since all the constituencies are roughly the same size, things work out more or less evenly. However, in America Delaware will return the equivalent of 3 MPs while California manages 55, which could look a little lopsided.
Thanks for replying — though I don't think it's quite as simple as you say.
I'd say that the growths of populations in different states over many decades (and other developments) have outstripped the ability of the document set out by the Founding Fathers to cope with today's elections...

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on November 07, 2020, 02:13:11 PM
I'm sure they can wait till January Quackers.

He's only got about 10 weeks to start a war somewhere, but hang on, no - he pretty much made peace with North Korea.
He helped give the Arabian peninsula confidence to make treaties with Israel - even after moving their embassy.
They won't be giving him any peace prizes though. He kept to his non interventionist policies.
Two Bushes, Clinton and Obama all were responsible for wars.

Let's see how the Dems get on.

Trump didn't start any wars but it wouldn't surprise me if that was going to be his 'treat' if he got a second term.