United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 29, 2020, 05:44:47 PM
The closer we get to the election the more it looks like Trump is going to lose. I don't think he's been able to mount a coherent strategy to fight the campaign over, and several of the stratagems he has used have been remarkably poor lines of attack.

At this point I think Trump is mostly in on contesting the election result if its narrowly not in his favour.

I don't know so much. There are an awful lot of Americans who really rate him as the best thing since sliced bread. There are many too who vote on just issue eg abortion. It will be very interesting that's for sure. I am really looking forward to it and the following weeks. Either way I think there is going to be mayhem in the Whitehouse.

Nalaar

The closer we get to the election the more it looks like Trump is going to lose. I don't think he's been able to mount a coherent strategy to fight the campaign over, and several of the stratagems he has used have been remarkably poor lines of attack.

At this point I think Trump is mostly in on contesting the election result if its narrowly not in his favour.
Don't believe everything you think.

Barry

Quote from: Nick on October 29, 2020, 12:47:36 PM
I neither like nor dislike him but he is likely to want a deal with the UK.
Also whether you like him or not he was democratically elected, same as Brexit was democratically voted for.
Sorry, Nick, but Duck only does democracy when it suits.
He's OK with it when there's calls for a second referendum, but not with implementing the first.
He's not OK with the Scots voting to leave the UK. He's not wanting them to have a second referendum.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 12:20:49 PM
I see the loathesome Farage has cropped up as a stand-up sideshow for Trump, lording it over the damage he's caused to our country.

Surely associating with the totally discredited Trump will not go down well here in Britain since most British people, whatever their political persuasion, don't like Trump.

But then Farage never really cared about Britain or the British people. Pitting his wits against the EU and anything connected with it was his 'brand', that's all that mattered to him.

Still, on the bright side, we're probably a lot further away from 'Lord Farage of Thanet' as a result of the Trump fiasco.

I neither like nor dislike him but he is likely to want a deal with the UK.
Also whether you like him or not he was democratically elected, same as Brexit was democratically voted for.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

I see the loathesome Farage has cropped up as a stand-up sideshow for Trump, lording it over the damage he's caused to our country.

Surely associating with the totally discredited Trump will not go down well here in Britain since most British people, whatever their political persuasion, don't like Trump.

But then Farage never really cared about Britain or the British people. Pitting his wits against the EU and anything connected with it was his 'brand', that's all that mattered to him.

Still, on the bright side, we're probably a lot further away from 'Lord Farage of Thanet' as a result of the Trump fiasco.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on October 26, 2020, 04:01:23 PM
I'd recalled the Brits retired on the Costas or in Cyprus who live in ghettos, refuse to learn the local language

Fact is though from the days when El Capistrano was first mooted as the first Spanish Villa resort open to ex-pats seeking a new life in the sun rather more of Uncle John's new neighbours held HIS attitude - that if you did not learn the lingo you did not know what the dagoes were saying about you behind you back - than ever held the splendid isolationism concept.

He spoke Spanish like a deck hand on a dodgily flagged tramp freighter - largely because he learned it from said deck hands ...

Cyprus is perhaps slightly different seeing as the British had a massive military base there - two in fact.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on October 26, 2020, 08:11:38 PM
Played straight into Trumps hand, who has been saying for a while he doesn't have the mental capacity to be President. How many will switch their vote based on that gaff?

Im not sure much will change . The democrats  will be quite happy even maybe expecting to see Kamala Harris move into  the oval office . 

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 26, 2020, 04:01:23 PMI'd recalled the Brits retired on the Costas or in Cyprus who live in ghettos, refuse to learn the local language

Heard a guy talking to Nick Ferrari on LBC who had lived in Spain for 22 years and professed he could only order 2 beers in Spanish. Loads of people then phoned up and said he said it wrong 😆. Its an utter disgrace that as a nation the vast majority don't even try to learn.

I don't have many qualities that I am proud of but attempting to learn the language of the country I am in is one of them, including Chinese 😇.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 26, 2020, 10:23:21 AMThe latest gaffe is talking about George ?

Played straight into Trumps hand, who has been saying for a while he doesn't have the mental capacity to be President. How many will switch their vote based on that gaff?

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 26, 2020, 10:23:21 AM
I am so glad I am not an American. There was a time many years ago when I seriously considered moving there for work, I am so glad I didn't in the end although at the time I was upset that it didn't work out.

Now I watch the news on the Presidential elections with a feeling of disbelief. What a choice. Trump is a story all to himself and I really can't see how anyone can stomach another 4 years of him even if your politics is Republican. However what a choice the Democrats have. Biden seems to me as if he will not last the 4 years  even if he gets into office.

The latest gaffe is talking about George ???? as his opponent apparently, with his long suffering wife quietly correcting him that Trump is the man he has been battling for months. We moan about our system here but goodness me the USA leaves us standing. Is Biden succumbing to dementia or simply old age? People must surely be asking that question.

What a choice in a modern World Power!

We lived in Charlotte N.C. for 4 and a half years, my wife hated it but I hated it as much as I liked it if that makes sense. We made some good friends, next door but one, they were from NY and liked a drink 😂. Everyone else just seemed weird, left for work in a morning, back at night, meal and in bed by 9. Weekends they picked up the camper or boat and buggered off for the weekend so they never made friends as such, just a casual wave or a very occasional beer in the garage.

Strange race.

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 26, 2020, 04:01:23 PM
I'd recalled the Brits retired on the Costas or in Cyprus who live in ghettos, refuse to learn the local language

There are enclaves of Brits like that in Brittany. What puzzles me is they tend, (in my experience to be middle class.)
Working class ex pats seem to try and join in and blend in. (I suspect because if they don't get enough work to live on it can prove to be problematic.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 26, 2020, 12:36:22 PM
Probably.  I blame the Daily Mail.
I'd recalled the Brits retired on the Costas or in Cyprus who live in ghettos, refuse to learn the local language — a crime for incomers to Blighty — and get their views of the world from two-day old copies of the Daily Telegraph (or Morning Post as some probably still think of it)...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 26, 2020, 12:34:49 PM
I wonder if citizens of other countries judge the UK solely on reports offered by their favourite news media...

Probably.  I blame the Daily Mail.

patman post

I wonder if citizens of other countries judge the UK solely on reports offered by their favourite news or social media...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 26, 2020, 10:23:21 AM

What a choice in a modern World Power!

Quite, a choice of a psychopath or a geriatric.
A bit like when the French had choice of the racist or the thief. (They chose the thief.)