United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 10:35:01 AM
If you think Trump is going to challenge the election result, then he won't be the first. It's pretty much split between the Dems and Reps for doing so, I believe. I doubt that he will challenge it unless there is a very close result and/or suspicion of interferences in a marginal State, such as Florida.
I would have thought that most posters here will accept the result either way, as USA politics is just a side-line.
My main concern is that it will affect trade negotiations, if the Democrats get in.

I know Trump wouldn't be the first to challenge a presidential election result.

Anyway now Trump is getting desperate and blaming DOCTORS for inflating the covid-19 statistics because he claims they get paid more if they do that. In case he hasn't noticed, even if what he said were true, the same rapid rise is happening in lots of countries, where doctors are paid in different ways. Ironically Trump probably can't be blamed for the sudden second wave any more than Boris Johnson, Emmanuel Macron or Angela Merkel can for similar spikes in their countries., even if his previous behaviour might have made the first wave worse than it could have been.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Barry

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 07:48:06 PMIn the next week it's quite possible we'll see a very major example of 'only doing democracy when it suits us'.
If you think Trump is going to challenge the election result, then he won't be the first. It's pretty much split between the Dems and Reps for doing so, I believe. I doubt that he will challenge it unless there is a very close result and/or suspicion of interferences in a marginal State, such as Florida.
I would have thought that most posters here will accept the result either way, as USA politics is just a side-line.
My main concern is that it will affect trade negotiations, if the Democrats get in.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 07:48:06 PM
There is someones on here who didn't want a second EU referendum but does want Scotland to have a second indyref.

....and who is that then?

If you are insinuating its me.....then you are basically lying and misrepresenting what i said.

I have told you time and again , you can have as many referendums as you like on any subject , im not afraid of democracy unlike you.

The point you and i part company is when it comes to implementing the referendum result.....the scot indy result of 2014 was implemented right away , so we can go again.....whereas four years on.....brexit still hasnt been fully implemented , so until it does in 9 weeks time , you can't go again. You cant take your medicine when you lose as we all know on the forum.

After january feel free to start campaigning for england to rejoin duck.

A good starting point would be to quit lying and misrepresenting people and arguments wouldnt you say?

Folk may disagree with your politics ....but no one likes a hysterical bullshitter .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on October 29, 2020, 12:20:49 PM
I see the loathesome Farage has cropped up as a stand-up sideshow for Trump, lording it over the damage he's caused to our country.

Surely associating with the totally discredited Trump will not go down well here in Britain since most British people, whatever their political persuasion, don't like Trump.

But then Farage never really cared about Britain or the British people. Pitting his wits against the EU and anything connected with it was his 'brand', that's all that mattered to him.

Still, on the bright side, we're probably a lot further away from 'Lord Farage of Thanet' as a result of the Trump fiasco.

I dont think most British people give a toss about American politics and see Trump  as a bit of a comical figure . Those who do pay attention recognise his economic  achievements at home and his  efforts abroad to repair the damage of past presidents . Not to mention keeping the troops out of other peoples business ,something no leader of the USA has managed to do for some time.

I think Farage made a bit of a mess of this one as far as his UK standing goes .We don't really go for 'this is the bravest man Ive ever known' type of speech but as far as a Trump rally goes he was spot on . He told the gathered what they wanted to hear ,lets face it nobody there was voting for sleepy Joe ,got a cheer from the crowd and a pat on the back from 45 . 

Like in the UK the options are pretty dire , Trump just about edges it for me as the best the devil you know candidate .

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on October 29, 2020, 06:17:30 PM
Floaters are really unpredictable as a rule.

Thats why there is always a rush to get out of the pool  ;)

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 29, 2020, 06:32:51 PMkidding itself there's a "special relationship"

There has been for years, you suggesting there isn't is pure fantasy.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

Quote from: Barry on October 29, 2020, 02:41:14 PM
Sorry, Nick, but Duck only does democracy when it suits.
He's OK with it when there's calls for a second referendum, but not with implementing the first.
He's not OK with the Scots voting to leave the UK. He's not wanting them to have a second referendum.

There is someones on here who didn't want a second EU referendum but does want Scotland to have a second indyref. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

And we all only do democracy when it suits us, especially when we can invoke an alternative democratic argument as a pretext.

In the next week it's quite possible we'll see a very major example of 'only doing democracy when it suits us'.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on October 29, 2020, 06:34:11 PM
I was going to make a comment about floaters but changed my mind.

Probably a good decision!  :)

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on October 29, 2020, 06:17:30 PM
Yes of course - that's how it seems. Floaters are really unpredictable as a rule.

I was going to make a comment about floaters but changed my mind.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

I'm not sure whoever wins is going to restore reasonable relations between Europe and the US. They started to slip with Bush and accelerated under Obama. Any improvement the UK manages — kidding itself there's a "special relationship" — is likely to be no more than token.

The Old World's been too happy to let the US pick up the tab for so much that's benefited Europe over the years since WWII — from Marshall Aid, through Nato to initial political and commercial support for the EU — and been less that grateful in return.

The US has been focused across the Pacific for a couple of administrations, and the region is likely to continue as an area of particular interest for trade and cooperation, despite PRC needing careful watching...

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 29, 2020, 06:10:40 PM
Yes, but the voters that matter (the ones that will vote either way) seem to be favouring Biden.

Yes of course - that's how it seems. Floaters are really unpredictable as a rule.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on October 29, 2020, 06:08:39 PM
True but what I meant was that they are so fixed on the single issue it doesn't seem to matter the other chaos created. They still vote for him.

Yes, but the voters that matter (the ones that will vote either way) seem to be favouring Biden.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on October 29, 2020, 06:07:01 PM
Single issue conservative voters (like on abortion) are not attainable for any democrat, their votes are not the ones that Trump needs to win, because he was never going to lose them.

True but what I meant was that they are so fixed on the single issue it doesn't seem to matter the other chaos created. They still vote for him.

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on October 29, 2020, 06:02:30 PM
I don't know so much. There are an awful lot of Americans who really rate him as the best thing since sliced bread. There are many too who vote on just issue eg abortion. It will be very interesting that's for sure. I am really looking forward to it and the following weeks. Either way I think there is going to be mayhem in the Whitehouse.

Single issue conservative voters (like on abortion) are not attainable for any democrat, their votes are not the ones that Trump needs to win, because he was never going to lose them.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on October 29, 2020, 05:44:47 PM
The closer we get to the election the more it looks like Trump is going to lose.

It is such a corrupt electoral system I would not personally attempt to predict a result.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe