United States Presidential election - 2020

Started by Barry, June 09, 2020, 09:35:19 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on November 04, 2020, 12:04:02 PM
He is already insinuating that people are still voting. The law is - in one State I believe, that as long as the vote is posted by the polling day, they can continue counting until Friday.  All great fun.

However it is spun the electoral college system is not democratic.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on November 04, 2020, 11:50:48 AM
Trump was expected to be ahead in many states before Mail-in ballots are counted - For example he was well ahead in Michigan with a 500K lead, that's now been cut to 60K as the Mail in ballots are being added.

No doubt these kinds of stories will feature heavily in Trumps argument if he loses the election.

He is already insinuating that people are still voting. The law is - in one State I believe, that as long as the vote is posted by the polling day, they can continue counting until Friday.  All great fun.

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on November 04, 2020, 11:42:28 AM
Trump is ahead in enough states to take him over the line, assuming they stay as they are.

I predict a Trump win.

Trump was expected to be ahead in many states before Mail-in ballots are counted - For example he was well ahead in Michigan with a 500K lead, that's now been cut to 60K as the Mail in ballots are being added.

No doubt these kinds of stories will feature heavily in Trumps argument if he loses the election.
Don't believe everything you think.

Baff

Quote from: Borchester on November 04, 2020, 11:12:36 AM
Please don't.

I have £50 on Gaga Joe. It would be ok if he were a horse we could turn him into dog food, but the poor old bugger is too skinny for that.

Are you sure you didn't make a slight typo?

QuoteBritish Man Just Bet FIVE MILLION On Donald Trump To Win Reelection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KCRENEvslk

Nick

Trump is ahead in enough states to take him over the line, assuming they stay as they are.

I predict a Trump win.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nalaar

Quote from: Borchester on November 04, 2020, 10:49:12 AM
According to my figures (which let me assure you are usually rubbish ), Trump might just get away with it. There are  86 (electoral) votes up for grabs and with a bit of luck and a following wind, the Donald might just pick up 70 of them, which should push him over the magic 271.

Shame really, I rather liked the idea of Kamala Harris as president

While it's too close to call I think that the fact that Trump is being so aggressive in his position ('I've already won the election' 'We're going to use the Supreme Court' etc) implies to me that they are very concerned about an impending loss.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on November 04, 2020, 11:12:36 AM
Please don't.

I have £50 on Gaga Joe. It would be ok if he were a horse we could turn him into dog food, but the poor old bugger is too skinny for that.

Oh the power!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 04, 2020, 11:09:21 AM
I'll hold you to that prediction. 224 - 213 at this moment!

Please don't.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on November 04, 2020, 10:49:12 AM
According to my figures (which let me assure you are usually rubbish ), Trump might just get away with it. There are  86 (electoral) votes up for grabs and with a bit of luck and a following wind, the Donald might just pick up 70 of them, which should push him over the magic 271.

I'll hold you to that prediction. 224 - 213 at this moment!

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts on November 03, 2020, 09:46:24 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D  That wouldn't surprise me at all. She did look very happy.

Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on November 03, 2020, 09:43:35 PM
Probably voted for "sleepy Joe" so she gets her life back.

;D ;D ;D ;D  That wouldn't surprise me at all. She did look very happy.

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on November 03, 2020, 06:57:27 PM
Lovely pictures of Melania today with careful attention to her £5000 dress going to vote. I wonder who she voted for?
Probably voted for "sleepy Joe" so she gets her life back.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Lovely pictures of Melania today with careful attention to her £5000 dress going to vote. I wonder who she voted for?

Baff

Quote from: Good old on June 20, 2020, 07:07:49 PM
The American people.

Trump is a big mouthed moderate who has cut taxes

Biden seems to support most fashionable causes.

Neither will have much effect on the lives of ordinary Americans who will be left to get on with their lives.

In many respects that is mirrored in so many western democracies. Where now does democracy offer real clear cut differences to average lives? Everywhere a call for change is heard. Followed by the same old basics being voted for regardless of the party voted for. You can't have real change If it's not on the menu.
Because in a liberal demcracy the purpose of democracy is to prevent you being able to make changes to my life.

All these people calling for change have to be kept in check.
We need chacks and balances to power.

Otherwise a few people gang up and inflict their will onto others.

The purpose of democracy is to prevent the powerful from being able to enact their will on us.
Intitally it is used to limit the power of the King.  And so on.
Then we get indpendent judiciaries to limit the power of parliament etc.

Then women get the vote to limit the power of men.

There is another form of democracy. The non liberal kind.
Where votes are used to empower. To grant the ability to change.
So 51% of the people can use democracy to change the rules for the other 49% or any other minority.

In a liberal society the emphasis is not on democracy providing me the means to rule, but on democracy providing the means for me to prevent you from ruling me.