PM said colonialism in Africa shouldn't of ended & praised UK's role in slavery

Started by Dynamis, June 13, 2020, 06:53:26 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 03:42:14 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 14, 2020, 11:42:51 AM

I think the point is more that politicians share the same traits as a psycho.

Or at least that's why I posted it anyway.

Do they?

According to your 24 year old article and its author you mean.

I dont think the article is even worthy of taking seriously , hence my laughter at the quote you highlighted.

How dare you, I carefully scoured at least 1 page of google to backup my preconceived biased notions.

Nah, you're right, it is a bit crap I suppose.
+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on June 14, 2020, 11:42:51 AM

Do they?

According to your 24 year old article and its author you mean.

I dont think the article is even worthy of taking seriously , hence my laughter at the quote you highlighted.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on June 14, 2020, 02:44:06 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 14, 2020, 12:03:01 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 14, 2020, 11:57:09 AMWithout foreign involvement Africa would not have had what it has now.

"The continent may be a blot, but it is not a blot upon our conscience," he wrote. "The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge any more."

From what I'm seeing in your post, even you disagree with that assessment. Surely that is the point.

His rhetoric has been just as inflammatory in the 18 years since, and there's no reason to believe he's changed his views.

As an aside on my screen your post comes in tiny font hardly readable. Now I've quoted it, it is almost normal size compared to others. Is there a reason for that do you know?

To the post. Why should he change his views? Show me a country that didn't plunder the countries it found as the flat earth became round. Every invader killed them with cruelty or disease, or found something that was valuable and carted it off home. It's harsh but civilisation progresses with knowledge. Our ancestors thought women and natives had no souls. The only perfect creation was a white man with money. We are all still learning. In another 100 years they will look back in horror at what we do and believe.

But he isn't learning is he, he's said it should be recolonized AND that it should never have ended!

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 14, 2020, 03:05:03 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 13, 2020, 06:53:26 PMUnbelievable. It is unbelievable that this guy is our PM.
He was the only one who said he would get Brexit done which is why he got the job . Maybe if other parties , even other Conservatives had followed the democratic vote of 4 years ago you may have someone more suitable as PM . Then again you might not .

You may well not have, they can't even be honest with themselves let alone anyone else, in the main, but as you said that goes for all parties..
+++

Streetwalker

Quote from: Dynamis on June 13, 2020, 06:53:26 PM

Unbelievable. It is unbelievable that this guy is our PM.

He was the only one who said he would get Brexit done which is why he got the job . Maybe if other parties , even other Conservatives had followed the democratic vote of 4 years ago you may have someone more suitable as PM . Then again you might not .

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on June 14, 2020, 12:03:01 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 14, 2020, 11:57:09 AMWithout foreign involvement Africa would not have had what it has now.

"The continent may be a blot, but it is not a blot upon our conscience," he wrote. "The problem is not that we were once in charge, but that we are not in charge any more."

From what I'm seeing in your post, even you disagree with that assessment. Surely that is the point.

His rhetoric has been just as inflammatory in the 18 years since, and there's no reason to believe he's changed his views.

As an aside on my screen your post comes in tiny font hardly readable. Now I've quoted it, it is almost normal size compared to others. Is there a reason for that do you know?

To the post. Why should he change his views? Show me a country that didn't plunder the countries it found as the flat earth became round. Every invader killed them with cruelty or disease, or found something that was valuable and carted it off home. It's harsh but civilisation progresses with knowledge. Our ancestors thought women and natives had no souls. The only perfect creation was a white man with money. We are all still learning. In another 100 years they will look back in horror at what we do and believe.

Borg Refinery

+++

T00ts

I don't get the point. The article was 18  years ago so once again the past is brought forward to the here and now. Look how much has changed since then. If we hadn't gone into Africa and many other countries, someone else would have done. Perhaps you would prefer the Spanish, or perhaps the French, maybe the Portuguese. It's ridiculous to suppose that anything would have been much different for those nations any more than it would have been different for us if Rome hadn't sent troops or William of Orange hadn't rolled us over. Things happen. The world was flat until they managed at last to sail around it. Bad things happen. The Vikings raped and pillaged. Do we ban them from the country or trace their offspring and punish them now? At what point is it going to be seen as ridiculous?

Without foreign involvement Africa would not have had what it has now. How it was done has to be acknowledged alongside the mistakes that were made, but no that doesn't fit with the current hounding of the government to suit some political tunnel vision.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 08:55:15 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 13, 2020, 07:37:53 PM
Quote from: Javert on June 13, 2020, 07:14:48 PM
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-colonialism-africa-british-empire-slavery-a9564541.html

Suggesting that one way to boost the economy of African countries would be for British tourists to holiday in them, Mr Johnson wrote: "The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty."

That really is repugnant, but absolutely typical of his deluded addled brain; one minute it's recolonize Africa, the next it's offer a full amnesty for illegal immigrants as mayor of London.  ???

He is absolutely brain-baffled and stuck in a deep kerfuffle, has no idea whether he's coming or going..that's the only reasonable conclusion anyone can make - but that doesn't detract from his insidious thinking as we can see from the quotes from his speccy article.

Well I suspect it comes into context if you assume that he is a very selfish and narcissistic person who is interested in further his own glorification reputation, and "popularity".  To the extent that any statement would line up with his own sense of superiority, he believes in it - e.g. he himself is a product of the English aristocratic private school "empire" tradition, so it makes him feel good to write that if the English were still in charge of the world everything would be great.

Let's not forget this is also a man who went off an had an affair with a younger woman whilst his wife was undergoing cancer treatment, leaving her to look after the kids etc.  It wasn't that long ago that no such person, under any circumstances, would have been voted in as PM.  Weirdly, many people who would find this behaviour abhorrent in anybody they knew in their locality, seem to think that it's perfectly ok for Johnson to do this.

Also from the popularity point of view, Johnson is very much like Winston Churchill - he understands that if you get to the top of leadership of a country, you may well have the chance to create your own version of history.  Churchill was also an expert at creating some kind of weird mythology around himself even in his own times, to the extent that historicans struggle to figure out how much actual impact he personally made.  (It's clear though that his interventions and position in Spring 1940 was critical in the decision not to sue for peace again with Germany, although of course like all history, we do not know how things would have finally played out given that Germany invaded Russia and then declared war on America in the following 2 years).

👍

Sadly, the country falls for it over and over again. But I suspect politics simply naturally attracts that kind of person.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/q-whats-the-difference-between-a-politician-and-a-psychopath-a-none-1361687.html%3famp

Politicians and stockbrokers share many of the same characteristics as criminal psychopaths. The only difference is that career high-flyers usually stay within the law. Some could be defined as "successful psychopaths", according to Lisa Marshall, a psychologist at Glasgow's Caledonian University.
In a three-year research project that involved interviewing 105 long- term offenders in Scottish prisons, she discovered that upbringing appeared to be an important factor in whether a child became a psychopath, as well as genetic make-up.

Note to all: This site is bloody useless, you WILL lose your post if the page refreshes (wasn't happening on the other one) so watch out. ::)

Feckin hell dyno another link to scotland.

You seem fascinated by my country. Honestly dyno ,its flattering really . ;D

What a stupid bit of research though.

If someone is brought up on a tough council estate , then they are going to retain the aspects of that upbringing ? Who knew?

And re admin, I was angry at losing a long post and posted that in the heat of the moment. 😜
+++

Forum admin

Note to all: This site is bloody useless, you WILL lose your post if the page refreshes (wasn't happening on the other one) so watch out.
Don't use it, then.
It's totally optional.

Thomas

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-colonialism-africa-british-empire-slavery-a9564541.html

Suggesting that one way to boost the economy of African countries would be for British tourists to holiday in them, Mr Johnson wrote: "The best fate for Africa would be if the old colonial powers, or their citizens, scrambled once again in her direction; on the understanding that this time they will not be asked to feel guilty."

That really is repugnant, but absolutely typical of his deluded addled brain; one minute it's recolonize Africa, the next it's offer a full amnesty for illegal immigrants as mayor of London.  ???

He is absolutely brain-baffled and stuck in a deep kerfuffle, has no idea whether he's coming or going..that's the only reasonable conclusion anyone can make - but that doesn't detract from his insidious thinking as we can see from the quotes from his speccy article.

Well I suspect it comes into context if you assume that he is a very selfish and narcissistic person who is interested in further his own glorification reputation, and "popularity".  To the extent that any statement would line up with his own sense of superiority, he believes in it - e.g. he himself is a product of the English aristocratic private school "empire" tradition, so it makes him feel good to write that if the English were still in charge of the world everything would be great.

Let's not forget this is also a man who went off an had an affair with a younger woman whilst his wife was undergoing cancer treatment, leaving her to look after the kids etc.  It wasn't that long ago that no such person, under any circumstances, would have been voted in as PM.  Weirdly, many people who would find this behaviour abhorrent in anybody they knew in their locality, seem to think that it's perfectly ok for Johnson to do this.

Also from the popularity point of view, Johnson is very much like Winston Churchill - he understands that if you get to the top of leadership of a country, you may well have the chance to create your own version of history.  Churchill was also an expert at creating some kind of weird mythology around himself even in his own times, to the extent that historicans struggle to figure out how much actual impact he personally made.  (It's clear though that his interventions and position in Spring 1940 was critical in the decision not to sue for peace again with Germany, although of course like all history, we do not know how things would have finally played out given that Germany invaded Russia and then declared war on America in the following 2 years).

👍

Sadly, the country falls for it over and over again. But I suspect politics simply naturally attracts that kind of person.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/q-whats-the-difference-between-a-politician-and-a-psychopath-a-none-1361687.html%3famp

Politicians and stockbrokers share many of the same characteristics as criminal psychopaths. The only difference is that career high-flyers usually stay within the law. Some could be defined as "successful psychopaths", according to Lisa Marshall, a psychologist at Glasgow's Caledonian University.
In a three-year research project that involved interviewing 105 long- term offenders in Scottish prisons, she discovered that upbringing appeared to be an important factor in whether a child became a psychopath, as well as genetic make-up.

Note to all: This site is bloody useless, you WILL lose your post if the page refreshes (wasn't happening on the other one) so watch out. ::)

Feckin hell dyno another link to scotland.

You seem fascinated by my country. Honestly dyno ,its flattering really . ;D

What a stupid bit of research though.

If someone is brought up on a tough council estate , then they are going to retain the aspects of that upbringing ? Who knew?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borg Refinery

👍

+++

Javert

Borg Refinery

+++