Time for some reason

Started by T00ts, June 13, 2020, 09:13:52 PM

« previous - next »

DeppityDawg

Quote from: T00ts on June 13, 2020, 09:13:52 PM
I look around me at the news and all I can see is chaos. Once again those prepared to shout loudest get all the attention. Those prepared to take to the streets regardless of health safety or any other considerations bully the rest of us into silence behind closed doors. People prepared to stick their heads above the parapet get shredded to pieces and bullied into submission. Woe betide anyone who stands up to the thought police who are currently running amok everywhere I look.

It is the easiest thing in the world to demolish something, it is much harder to build. I see the current chaos not just because a man died in USA but because frustration with lockdown, fear, and general angst has created a time-bomb that will explode pretty soon if it hasn't already. The final straw for me was when my daughter, a first time Mum with an 8 month old, rang me today saying 'why bring her little boy into this world to be greeted by the sort of society that justifies the behaviour currently evident? She was in tears. How many more feel as she does?

So why shouldn't we expect reason, quiet discussion, compromise and respect for all. It comes to something when my child says she feels threatened by what is happening. Why is there constant criticism of anyone and everyone who is in a position to have to make a decision? I bet none of them expected to have to deal with all the nasty stuff that's going on now. The ministers look shattered, and BJ has had the stuffing knocked out of him with the virus. You only have to look at those guys to see the pressure they are under - but no - it's not enough. Those out now baying for blood will not stop until they string someone up or the country has descended into anarchy. I expect there are many keeping their heads down while the egotists, complainers, thugs and political rioters run amok in the streets. There is not one cause it seems, but anything and everything  they can think of to add to the fury, to make the shouts more shrill. I am ashamed that they are my countrymen.

I think what you're seeing is the beginning of the end of the modern western nation state. The result of 50 plus years of ever more permissive and pandering liberal policies that has inflated and given grievance to every minority issue you can think of. Instead of bringing us together, they serve only to drive us apart. Someone wrote on the old forum a few weeks back in relation to the class discussion, that there are only two "classes" - the oppressors and the oppressed. The natural end point of the "good guys v bad guys" narrative that fairy stories and folk tales have been made of for centuries made real in the 21st century. If you allow that mentality to grow unchecked, you end up with a people fractured into competing groups for who is the most "oppressed" and others pigeonholed into "oppressor" type groups who are the enemy. You can see it everywhere now. Black against white, women v men, young v old, gay v straight, able bodied v disabled, and virtually any other distinction you can think of. All the institutions of state, as well as those of society, like the traditional family and marriage, have been under sustained attack for so long, its inevitable they are dying. If you continue to drive people apart like this, then separatism is the only logical result

In the end its a zero sum game, because when people feel threatened or unjustly treated, they will begin to split into those very rigid groups or identities in order to feel safe or validated. As a white male, I'm public enemy no1 now, and if I'm going to be held responsible for everything that was wrong with the world 200 years ago, never mind now, I'm going to embrace that with open arms? Sorry, no. And you'll find a lot more people starting to say "sorry, no" as this goes on. Utterly sick of it now. Feck race, feck gender, feck sexuality, feck the lot of them. If we can't live together sensibly, then maybe we're better off apart.

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on June 14, 2020, 09:21:59 AM

LOL A wise woman! But then we mostly are!

;D

Very much so toots.

( i know my place) 8)
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 09:17:22 AM
Quote from: T00ts on June 14, 2020, 09:07:31 AM

That's pretty much what I told her. She's no fool and normally pretty strong minded so it was a surprise to hear her so worried but thinking back I struggled to think of times past when it felt quite like now. I'm sure there must have been occasions and they have passed and things returned to normal but try as I might I couldn't think of one that would reassure her. Can anyone think of any?

Depends what you mean as normal.

Change happens all the time , so if you mean returning to how things were no , i dont think they will.

However things eventually do settle down into some "new normality".

My auld grannie use to say you die if you worry , you die if you dont. Theres no point in worrying about stuff out of your control , all you can do is manage things as best you can and plod on regardless.

LOL A wise woman! But then we mostly are!

Thomas

Quote from: T00ts on June 14, 2020, 09:07:31 AM

That's pretty much what I told her. She's no fool and normally pretty strong minded so it was a surprise to hear her so worried but thinking back I struggled to think of times past when it felt quite like now. I'm sure there must have been occasions and they have passed and things returned to normal but try as I might I couldn't think of one that would reassure her. Can anyone think of any?

Depends what you mean as normal.

Change happens all the time , so if you mean returning to how things were no , i dont think they will.

However things eventually do settle down into some "new normality".

My auld grannie use to say you die if you worry , you die if you dont. Theres no point in worrying about stuff out of your control , all you can do is manage things as best you can and plod on regardless.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 14, 2020, 08:55:38 AM

It seems that a catalogue of events has brought us to this,leaving the eu,the virus,the break up of the UK,the death of a man in the US and the rise of extremism.
If it hadn't been this perhaps other things but hopefully at some point sense and some balance will prevail,people will become tired of the unrest but I ain't holding my breath just yet.

I don't think we have seen anything yet.  Just wait until the middle class starts to suffer.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 08:43:13 AM
I look around me at the news and all I can see is chaos. Once again those prepared to shout loudest get all the attention. Those prepared to take to the streets regardless of health safety or any other considerations bully the rest of us into silence behind closed doors. People prepared to stick their heads above the parapet get shredded to pieces and bullied into submission. Woe betide anyone who stands up to the thought police who are currently running amok everywhere I look.

It is the easiest thing in the world to demolish something, it is much harder to build. I see the current chaos not just because a man died in USA but because frustration with lockdown, fear, and general angst has created a time-bomb that will explode pretty soon if it hasn't already. The final straw for me was when my daughter, a first time Mum with an 8 month old, rang me today saying 'why bring her little boy into this world to be greeted by the sort of society that justifies the behaviour currently evident? She was in tears. How many more feel as she does?

So why shouldn't we expect reason, quiet discussion, compromise and respect for all. It comes to something when my child says she feels threatened by what is happening. Why is there constant criticism of anyone and everyone who is in a position to have to make a decision? I bet none of them expected to have to deal with all the nasty stuff that's going on now. The ministers look shattered, and BJ has had the stuffing knocked out of him with the virus. You only have to look at those guys to see the pressure they are under - but no - it's not enough. Those out now baying for blood will not stop until they string someone up or the country has descended into anarchy. I expect there are many keeping their heads down while the egotists, complainers, thugs and political rioters run amok in the streets. There is not one cause it seems, but anything and everything  they can think of to add to the fury, to make the shouts more shrill. I am ashamed that they are my countrymen.

I think toots events have been all pretty predictable to be honest.

We seem to be entering a period of massive turmoil and strife. Who knows how we are going to emerge from it , certainly i think there are going to be many changes.

We have the various political camps doing their damndest to undermine and hurt each other , especially remainers getting increasingly hysterical as we approach d day at the end of the year.

We have had this idiocy of the last week or so and folk crying over statues one way or the other .

The next big event on the horizon will be the end of july/start of august where i expect to see massive job losses as the furlough scheme gets pulled back a bit.

Look after yourself and your family and batten down the hatches is all you can do.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 08:45:42 AM
Quote from: cromwell on June 14, 2020, 08:40:29 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 14, 2020, 02:19:39 AM
Quote from: Borchester on June 14, 2020, 12:40:46 AM
Dunno what has happened to the Youtube link, but I suspect there are one or two other folk that share your views Toots

Isn't that exactly what she's complaining about? The thugs, complainers, rioters etc...

This forum is bit of a mess I'm afraid.  ???

I hope things calm down soon anyway and we can return to some semblance of normality, whatever that is, and moan about things endlessly without having to worry about impending doom, but I suspect that's not on the cards.

Complaining is what we do best in this country, and everyone does it. ;)

No the forum isn't a mess,maybe a few teething probs but borchester would admit he's the worlds worst YouTube video poster ;)

I quite like the forum so well done to the forum owner and mods. As you say a few teething problems and it will take a bit of getting used to but before no time it will be up and running  as the old one was.
:) ;)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 08:43:13 AM

We seem to be entering a period of massive turmoil and strife. Who knows how we are going to emerge from it , certainly i think there are going to be many changes.

We have the various political camps doing their damndest to undermine and hurt each other , especially remainers getting increasingly hysterical as we approach d day at the end of the year.

We have had this idiocy of the last week or so and folk crying over statues one way or the other .

The next big event on the horizon will be the end of july/start of august where i expect to see massive job losses as the furlough scheme gets pulled back a bit.

Look after yourself and your family and batten down the hatches is all you can do.
It seems that a catalogue of events has brought us to this,leaving the eu,the virus,the break up of the UK,the death of a man in the US and the rise of extremism.
If it hadn't been this perhaps other things but hopefully at some point sense and some balance will prevail,people will become tired of the unrest but I ain't holding my breath just yet.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on June 14, 2020, 08:40:29 AM
Dunno what has happened to the Youtube link, but I suspect there are one or two other folk that share your views Toots

Isn't that exactly what she's complaining about? The thugs, complainers, rioters etc...

I hope things calm down soon anyway and we can return to some semblance of normality, whatever that is, and moan about things endlessly without having to worry about impending doom, but I suspect that's not on the cards.

No the forum isn't a mess,maybe a few teething probs but borchester would admit he's the worlds worst YouTube video poster ;)

I quite like the forum so well done to the forum owner and mods. As you say a few teething problems and it will take a bit of getting used to but before no time it will be up and running  as the old one was.

Thomas

cromwell

papasmurf

On this new system just copy a YouTube link and paste it:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NkkAQllfo
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

+++

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

T00ts