Housing developments and social accommodation

Started by Wiggles, October 24, 2019, 02:27:38 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=2645 time=1572183441 user_id=51Oooff.   :kikass:

:dncg:

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2639 time=1572182914 user_id=89
No really if you check the outcomes information on the crime map.

I don't need to in my area. The police will do anything to excuse them of doing any work, including misinterpreting basic law.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Barry

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2633 time=1572182331 user_id=54
Including yours?   :D

Oooff.   :kikass:
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=2635 time=1572182666 user_id=74
Crime maps are more likely to show how industrious the police are.

No really if you check the outcomes information on the crime map.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2590 time=1572161127 user_id=89
The problem is as a study of the crime map shows

that  whilst there are pockets of bandit ridden anti-social behaviour blighted council estates that but does not apply to a all or even a majority of council estates and it is VERY offensive to state that is does.

Personal experience cannot be extrapolated to every council estate, most of which are, due to the right to buy a mix of owner occupation and rented.

Crime maps are more likely to show how industrious the police are. It's a proxy, where personal experience is the real thing.

The ones I have experienced have varied. The worst I have seen is Moss Side and Salford. Salford is now where the BBC operate from.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2633 time=1572182331 user_id=54

If I went by personal experience only , I would be completely wrong across a wide range of issues. (Which is why I use data and research references.)

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2622 time=1572179751 user_id=89
The problem is it is very wrong and blinkered to extrapolate personal experience of any kind to apply in general.

What "everyone knows" is usually wrong.

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=2620 time=1572179522 user_id=87
 My opinions are based on my experiences and observations,

The problem is it is very wrong and blinkered to extrapolate personal experience of any kind to apply in general.

What "everyone knows" is usually wrong.

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2539 time=1572103585 user_id=89
The crime map is factual not speculation. There are pockets of high crime rates but that does not apply to all or even the majority of social housing.

There are streets in Britain I would not walk down for a bet even in broad daylight. But to tar all social housing with the same brush is offensive and also factually inaccurate.

At no stage did I say every person who lives in social housing is a scumbag. My point all along has been that areas with a high percentage of social housing are more likely to be troublesome. Nobody needs facts and figures to prove this, it's just common sense.

Now, regarding facts and figures. My thread on the introduction page made it clear I am not the type of forum member who enjoys copying and pasting data from other web sites. That doesn't involve any debating skills, and frankly reading such data is pretty boring. My opinions are based on my experiences and observations, and these can't be manipulated to prove a point. On the other hand, statistics indeed can be manipulated to prove the point required, and taken with a pinch of salt. If I feel I can not join in with a topic I know nothing about I just don't. I believe this is better than asking Mr Google the answer, then copying and pasting some tosh.
A hand up, not a hand out

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=2576 time=1572118579 user_id=74
Hmm, very interesting. Yes that does sound accurate all the way through.

The problem is as a study of the crime map shows

that  whilst there are pockets of bandit ridden anti-social behaviour blighted council estates that but does not apply to a all or even a majority of council estates and it is VERY offensive to state that is does.

Personal experience cannot be extrapolated to every council estate, most of which are, due to the right to buy a mix of owner occupation and rented.

papasmurf

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=2577 time=1572119321 user_id=70
I thought there was a big independence movement in Cornwall. Or is that like other types of movement and going down the pan...?

That has nothing to do with the subject of the thread.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester post_id=2568 time=1572114210 user_id=62
Dunno Pappy. The trouble with the poor is that as often as not they work hard at not being poor and once they are a bit ahead of the game they think, well, I have put myself out to get where I am and I don't see why everybody else should not do the same.

So they vote Tory, which  might explain why all six of Cornwall's MPs are Conservatives

I thought there was a big independence movement in Cornwall. Or is that like other types of movement and going down the pan...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=2156 time=1571923658 user_id=87
I live in a small village, yet the county council has just given planning permission for 87 dwellings. That may sound OK to most of you, however there is little work here, and when a privately owned property becomes available it can take quite some time to sell. You see, this area is God's waiting room. If the development goes ahead we have been told that at least 20% of it will be social housing. As it is unlikely many of the other properties will be sold to retired people, the remainder will probably be purchased by landlords, who will in turn rent to the unemployed. Of course, there will be exceptions. In brief, what will be built is a ghetto. The landlord of my local already has plans to make the pub into a private members club in order to keep the scumbags out. I have little doubt certain councillors have received brown paper envelopes to get this crazy planning permission passed.

Now, I grew up in a very small council house in North London. It was a different world back then, as the vast majority of people lived in what we now call social housing. These days social housing means something very different.There are those who have decided to work, make cuts to their standard of living, and buy a property, There are those who just can't afford a mortgage, but will not be given social housing, and therefore rent privately, and there are those who live in social housing. Of course, not everyone who lives in social housing is a scumbag, but an awful lot are. A government spokesman on TV said this morning that developers have been separating the social housing aspect of new developments in order they sell more properties, and this is upsetting the people in the social housing. Let's get something straight, the majority of people in social housing do not work, and therefore their rent is paid by the tax payer. In most countries around the world they would not be given a free house to live in, but over here the government are worried that the tenants may not be happy. Meanwhile, Mr& Mrs Smith who have been working 50 hours a week to pay their mortgage, are forced to live next to Mr & Mrs Slob, their 4 feral brats, and their scraggy dog. The government want to put a stop to segregating such people by sticking them in a corner out of harms way.

When I lived in Milton Keynes I remember having a conversation with an estate agent who was attempting to sell some luxury flats. It started off well until the social housing tenants moved in. All of a sudden dirty washing was being hung from the balcony, and the lifts stunk of urine. Needless to say sales came to an immediate stop. On the estate I lived on there were a dozen or so social houses at the end of a particular street. The houses were the same as the rest of the street, but it was obvious who lived there, and where the private ownership stopped, and the social housing started. Beaten up cars, uncut hedges, grass not tended, peeling window frames, dirty windows, etc etc etc. It's OK for a government spokesman to condemn developers, but he isn't the one who has to live next to these people. GOD, my blood is boiling !!

Hmm, very interesting. Yes that does sound accurate all the way through. The question is, what to do about it. What I would do as a government is to sell off every social house and make everything private. I would let the market decide, and the value of property would go up or down according to how many scumbags there are. For someone like yourself the market would automatically accommodate your needs, because market forces optimise utility, and from what you say, correct me if I'm wrong, you would pay more to live in an identical house with your own type than these people. If so the market would make it so. In actual fact it would be more like the price drops in Scumsville and your price sticks about where it is.

I'm fortunate because I live in a road which is mostly private. There's a couple of social houses, but the residents are OK. Well having said that, there was a problem the other day where someone just rammed a friend's car and smashed the entire backend and then drove off. No one knows who it was, but normally my road is mellow and beautiful, especially in the spring. The ones opposite are keen gardeners and I think they kind of compete with each other a little. Each garden inspires the next man to keep his just as good. The other thing I love about my road is every house is different to the next one. Each person has kind of built them how they want them to be. It adds interest to it in the visual sense.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=2568 time=1572114210 user_id=62

So they vote Tory, which  might explain why all six of Cornwall's MPs are Conservatives

Not for much longer, too many people here are suffering the consequences of over nine years of austerity and cuts.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2566 time=1572113587 user_id=89
Unfortunately for the Tory MP they have not all died, there are increasing in numbers due to Tory policies and won't be voting for him.

Dunno Pappy. The trouble with the poor is that as often as not they work hard at not being poor and once they are a bit ahead of the game they think, well, I have put myself out to get where I am and I don't see why everybody else should not do the same.

Algerie Francais !