Housing developments and social accommodation

Started by Wiggles, October 24, 2019, 02:27:38 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=2356 time=1572004128 user_id=87
What a ridiculous request. Do you really think a politically correct government would print statistics proving social housing tenants are scumbags.

Actually such information is updated on a monthly basis, (I get it emailed to me for my area every month.)

Just type in a post code, (it will even go down to information for a road.

https://www.police.uk/search/">https://www.police.uk/search/
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: Borchester post_id=2365 time=1572005174 user_id=62
Apparently most of the crime on Housing Association and Council estates is caused by outsiders who are actually homeowners.

Link please?  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2359 time=1572004414 user_id=54
:hattip

I looked - they don't. Except some towns report more crime on Housing Assoc tenants. So really they are the victims!

Apparently most of the crime on Housing Association and Council estates is caused by outsiders who are actually homeowners.
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=2356 time=1572004128 user_id=87
What a ridiculous request. Do you really think a politically correct government would print statistics proving social housing tenants are scumbags.

:hattip

I looked - they don't. Except some towns report more crime on Housing Assoc tenants. So really they are the victims!

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2258 time=1571949392 user_id=89
Would you care to back that up with some data please.

(There are some areas I would not go into for a bet, but they do not predominate.)

A hand up, not a hand out

papasmurf

Quote from: Wiggles post_id=2256 time=1571948245 user_id=87
 These days it is very rare areas that are predominantly social housing aren't problem areas.

Would you care to back that up with some data please.

(There are some areas I would not go into for a bet, but they do not predominate.)

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2250 time=1571946254 user_id=89
I realise there are pockets of nasty people living in rented accommodation what I object strongly to is the implication it is all people who live in rented accommodation.

I have no doubt you have been lucky, but believe me your experiences are NOT the norm. If I go back far enough renting property either from the council, or on the odd occasion privately, was the norm. These days it is very rare areas that are predominantly social housing aren't problem areas.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2234 time=1571942360 user_id=54
You seem to be lucky. A visit here might give you a different perspective.

I realise there are pockets of nasty people living in rented accommodation what I object strongly to is the implication it is all people who live in rented accommodation.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2200 time=1571931977 user_id=89
I lived in council housing for first 28 years of my life, I just do not recognise the stereotype.

Currently I live on a mainly owner occupied estate, with a council estate on one side, (which is now mixed due to right to buy) and housing association and owned properties on the other side.

Since I moved here in 1984 the only antisocial neighbours have been owner occupiers who have been VERY difficult to shift.

You seem to be lucky. A visit here might give you a different perspective.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2197 time=1571930590 user_id=54
Just out of interest do you live on a mixed owner/housing assoc estate?

I lived in council housing for first 28 years of my life, I just do not recognise the stereotype.

Currently I live on a mainly owner occupied estate, with a council estate on one side, (which is now mixed due to right to buy) and housing association and owned properties on the other side.

Since I moved here in 1984 the only antisocial neighbours have been owner occupiers who have been VERY difficult to shift.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2195 time=1571930058 user_id=89
Well where I live the social housing is housing association and ANY tenants causing problems are kicked out quickly.

I really hate the tarring all social housing tenants with the same brush.

Just because people own their own house does not mean there are all perfect citizens. When a homeowner is a bad neighbour they are much harder to shift than a bad tenant.

Just out of interest do you live on a mixed owner/housing assoc estate?

papasmurf

Well where I live the social housing is housing association and ANY tenants causing problems are kicked out quickly.

I really hate the tarring all social housing tenants with the same brush.

Just because people own their own house does not mean there are all perfect citizens. When a homeowner is a bad neighbour they are much harder to shift than a bad tenant.

T00ts

I sympathise. I was talking to a young father not long ago. He had his house up for sale. The reason? On each side of him and across the road was social housing. Police cars were repeatedly parked outside, the children ran riot and the parents never seemed to go to work. He on the other hand was working all hours yet saw his neighbours with huge TVs, a new 4x4 and a constantly pregnant wife from his front window standing smoking questionable cigarettes in front of the house. He had two small children. 'How can I watch my kids looking out of the window for playmates. Will these children be at the same school? I'm pretty sure they are using drugs. I have to get out'. He sold up and moved on.

4 others on the front line who paid extra for their large 5 bed homes overlooking parkland were selling because. A playground was built and kids used it for drugs/alcohol every night. When the estate was extended social housing was built cheek by jowl behind them. They struggled to sell.

This estate is perhaps 6 years old and grows weekly. There will be thousands of houses and my SIL, an estate agent, tells me that when you look at the houses the ones that everything from Solar panels to door bells are the social housing ones. I understand that everyone should be housed but the current system really is not working.

papasmurf

So people who can't afford to buy homes can live rough?

Your attitude stinks.

Wiggles

I live in a small village, yet the county council has just given planning permission for 87 dwellings. That may sound OK to most of you, however there is little work here, and when a privately owned property becomes available it can take quite some time to sell. You see, this area is God's waiting room. If the development goes ahead we have been told that at least 20% of it will be social housing. As it is unlikely many of the other properties will be sold to retired people, the remainder will probably be purchased by landlords, who will in turn rent to the unemployed. Of course, there will be exceptions. In brief, what will be built is a ghetto. The landlord of my local already has plans to make the pub into a private members club in order to keep the scumbags out. I have little doubt certain councillors have received brown paper envelopes to get this crazy planning permission passed.

Now, I grew up in a very small council house in North London. It was a different world back then, as the vast majority of people lived in what we now call social housing. These days social housing means something very different.There are those who have decided to work, make cuts to their standard of living, and buy a property, There are those who just can't afford a mortgage, but will not be given social housing, and therefore rent privately, and there are those who live in social housing. Of course, not everyone who lives in social housing is a scumbag, but an awful lot are. A government spokesman on TV said this morning that developers have been separating the social housing aspect of new developments in order they sell more properties, and this is upsetting the people in the social housing. Let's get something straight, the majority of people in social housing do not work, and therefore their rent is paid by the tax payer. In most countries around the world they would not be given a free house to live in, but over here the government are worried that the tenants may not be happy. Meanwhile, Mr& Mrs Smith who have been working 50 hours a week to pay their mortgage, are forced to live next to Mr & Mrs Slob, their 4 feral brats, and their scraggy dog. The government want to put a stop to segregating such people by sticking them in a corner out of harms way.

When I lived in Milton Keynes I remember having a conversation with an estate agent who was attempting to sell some luxury flats. It started off well until the social housing tenants moved in. All of a sudden dirty washing was being hung from the balcony, and the lifts stunk of urine. Needless to say sales came to an immediate stop. On the estate I lived on there were a dozen or so social houses at the end of a particular street. The houses were the same as the rest of the street, but it was obvious who lived there, and where the private ownership stopped, and the social housing started. Beaten up cars, uncut hedges, grass not tended, peeling window frames, dirty windows, etc etc etc. It's OK for a government spokesman to condemn developers, but he isn't the one who has to live next to these people. GOD, my blood is boiling !!