Have to laugh at Argentina (no crying necessary unless its with laughter)

Started by Groo, June 14, 2020, 05:32:57 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

We had a holiday in May 1982 during the Falklands War. Spain were very much on Argentina's side. We then sank the Belgrano. That didn't go down well so for the rest of our holiday we felt as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.  :D
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Well, the last Argentine presence was a military garrison in 1833. I guess technically it ought to be Argentine, but the Islanders don't want to be part of Argentina - and seeing as they've been there for nearly 200 years - and the only people they displaced were a military garrison which was only sent there for a few years in the 1820's and 30's, I feel they are not unreasonable in wanting to stay. The Argentinian claim is probably due to posturing when they've a political crisis.

...The only reason they'd want it is because of purported natural resources on & around the islands, and due to strategic positions; FWIW I agree they should be shared, but I don't believe the Falklanders should be removed or ruled over in any way, when they didn't 'colonize' anyone and simply displaced a military garrison.
+++

Groo

Quote from: Thomas on June 14, 2020, 06:57:27 PM
Quote from: Groo on June 14, 2020, 05:32:57 PM
Its the 38th Anniversary of day of Argentina's surrender in the Falklands War, with Argentina suffereing from COVID and with them defaulting on their debt's once more they look to distract and bring up the Falklands and Antartica.

This map is an official Argentine map of what they claim is their territory.

Nevermind they signed the Antarctic Treaty in 1959 with everyone else, they also claim that the UN endorsed this claim.

In fact they did put forward a claim a few years back for extending their maritime borders which included this reduculous map, the UN endorsed two slithers of their claim, 1 to the North and 1 to the South of Argentina, not the whle thing.

You can see from the map Groo that "las malvinas" definetly belongs to argentina.

Haha yes, the trouble is the map is created by Argentina. I could create a map and show I own the Shetland Isles, it doesn't mean I do.

Nick

The problem Argentina have is that Argentina didn't even exist as a country when the Falklands were given to us by Spain. For me that gives them zero rights to the place.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

Quote from: Groo on June 14, 2020, 05:32:57 PM
Its the 38th Anniversary of day of Argentina's surrender in the Falklands War, with Argentina suffereing from COVID and with them defaulting on their debt's once more they look to distract and bring up the Falklands and Antartica.

Nevermind they signed the Antarctic Treaty in 1959 with everyone else, they also claim that the UN endorsed this claim.

In fact they did put forward a claim a few years back for extending their maritime borders which included this reduculous map, the UN endorsed two slithers of their claim, 1 to the North and 1 to the South of Argentina, not the whle thing.

You can see from the map Groo that "las malvinas" definetly belongs to argentina.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Groo