Shopping lockdown restrictions partially removed.

Started by papasmurf, June 15, 2020, 12:19:35 PM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: patman post on June 15, 2020, 02:47:59 PM
Quote from: Good old on June 15, 2020, 12:56:06 PM
Was never a user  of on line shopping, until recently. It's has proved a fantastic asset in the circumstances . Most things have been accessible , obviously some things have had a run on them, but generally ,other than the physical benefits of actually going out to shop, it gets a lot of credits from me.
My shops are much closer than 30 miles, but  going to them is a safety issue. This thing kills old people for fun. So what is thought to be relatively safe for the majority, will only ever be a Russian roulette situation for the old if it's  present.
Obviously it has to be a personal decision to take that kind of risk, but it would maybe help if  the powers that be were making anything other than general across the board stipulations.
Trouble is when intelligent people are told what to do in every detail by government the accusation is we're living in a nanny state. Conversely, when what's known is passed on with people being left to use their common sense and identify which group they belong to and what guidance to follow, government is said to be too lax...

Get your point ,Postman. But here for a change we have a situation where a certain identified group have been killed In thousands over a few weeks by a virus that does without doubt prefer old meat to any other. I made the point that it will be a personal decision to take any risks. But come on, the risks are not equal by quiet a bit. And stay at home keep out of the way is going to be a cheap inadequate   solution..Governments do have some obligation to take all possible care over the very vulnerable to a life and death situation. If the average Jack, at twenty five ,had a life and death problem in front of them,  of the percentage chance  of the fatal conclusion this has for all over Seventies, they would scream out for something more from the state. Maybe the oldies, should ,man up, play the Englishman, and pull that trigger. Die well. Do it for the economy if nothing else..?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 15, 2020, 03:00:08 PM

As far as I can see the government hands out its rules and regulations while the media duly recycles them. Meanwhile the rest of us say well there you are, there is a lot of it about and get on with our lives.

That is the problem and why a spike in Covid 19 is inevitable.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Was never a user  of on line shopping, until recently. It's has proved a fantastic asset in the circumstances . Most things have been accessible , obviously some things have had a run on them, but generally ,other than the physical benefits of actually going out to shop, it gets a lot of credits from me.
My shops are much closer than 30 miles, but  going to them is a safety issue. This thing kills old people for fun. So what is thought to be relatively safe for the majority, will only ever be a Russian roulette situation for the old if it's  present.
Obviously it has to be a personal decision to take that kind of risk, but it would maybe help if  the powers that be were making anything other than general across the board stipulations.
Trouble is when intelligent people are told what to do in every detail by government the accusation is we're living in a nanny state. Conversely, when what's known is passed on with people being left to use their common sense and identify which group they belong to and what guidance to follow, government is said to be too lax...

The good thing is that not many of us take that much notice of what the government has to say.

As far as I can see the government hands out its rules and regulations while the media duly recycles them. Meanwhile the rest of us say well there you are, there is a lot of it about and get on with our lives.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

Most of our shopping centre is opening up in the next few days, A number of the big stores are open today. A fair it of work has gone into making the customer experience as low risk as possible, and in general the customers seem to be pretty onboard with the plan and more than anything just seem happy to be out and about.

Did have a bit of a drama with a passing swarm of bees, but they've now moved on.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

The problem is about 85% of the general public can't find their own backside in the dark.

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 15, 2020, 12:19:35 PM
Even if I could go shopping I can't think of any shop in the nearest town I need to go to.
I needed some hardware to replenish my "I may need that" boxes in the garage. The nearest local source is a 60 mile round trip.
So ordered online Sunday, one box delivered already the next one will be delivered this afternoon.

True. I quite like pottering around the shops but the last few months have seen us paring our needs down to a lot less than before and without suffering any real inconvenience. In fact, the only thing I really need is and can't get is easy start. I don't know why. I am living in one of the biggest cities in the world full of foxy ethnics who would sell you the rope to hang yourself (10% discount for cash), but I can't find anything to get the grass strimmer to crack on.

Other than that, things have been pretty good although Joe Sainsbury won't be making much out of me.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: boggart on June 15, 2020, 01:44:04 PM
Why is Primark so popular? I heard one lady being interviewed as she was queuing at one of their stores, and she wen't on about lockdown meaning her kids clothes had worn through and this was the first opportunity that she had had to replace them. Isn't it possible to buy some clothes on line or at a supermarket?

Tesco, ASDA, and Sainsburys all sell cheap children's clothing. But none of them sell adult clothing for short, fat, bastards like me.

boggart

Why is Primark so popular? I heard one lady being interviewed as she was queuing at one of their stores, and she wen't on about lockdown meaning her kids clothes had worn through and this was the first opportunity that she had had to replace them. Isn't it possible to buy some clothes on line or at a supermarket?

cromwell

Even if I could go shopping I can't think of any shop in the nearest town I need to go to.
I needed some hardware to replenish my "I may need that" boxes in the garage. The nearest local source is a 60 mile round trip.
So ordered online Sunday, one box delivered already the next one will be delivered this afternoon.

Yeah know what you mean,contemplating shopping is like confronting Dirty Harry,"well do you feel luck today" :o
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Good old

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 15, 2020, 12:40:46 PM
We are still stuck in lockdown but I understand the queues for Primark rival those for McDonalds takeaways.

Even if I could I can't think of any reason to go to Primark, (no branch anywhere near me anyway.) and as for Mucky D's I am with José Bové.
Last Friday my wife and I had a KFC, (Kernow Fried Chicken) takeaway  from a local pub which is doing takeaway food and takeaway beer if you take your own container.

johnofgwent

We are still stuck in lockdown but I understand the queues for Primark rival those for McDonalds takeaways.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 15, 2020, 12:29:14 PM

I have to say it looks like online will grow even more due to this,I hate shopping at the best of times.

Personally I think the Covid-19 Pandemic has merely hastened the death of high street shops not caused it.
Where I live it could have helped the village shops, the "hippy" veg box delivery, and the "hippy" owned Thai food delivery.
The big worry is the local inshore fishing industry, but the death knell for that will be the impending crash out Brexit.