Well, the good news is that the flu is over

Started by Borchester, June 16, 2020, 12:41:41 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

I couldn't careless I ain't wearing their mask and I ain't spying on myself with no app.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2020, 08:37:56 PM
it will be hard to eradicate from the whole country.

Few viruses have ever been eradicated. Even when a successful vaccination is found.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: patman post on July 20, 2020, 03:53:46 PM
Our GP surgery messaged to say a few cases notified in Stamford Hill, gave a list of the symptoms to watch out for, so to take care and pass the info on to local friends and family. Seems those on the front line (including Mum) are still jumpy about easing the restrictions...
Fair comment. Infections are getting quite rare as the weeks go by and deaths very rare.
I worked out some stats for the local hospital and they looked like this:
Month . .Total Positive tests . . New Deaths
March... 195...........................38
April.......813...........................181
May . . . .977 .. . . . . . . . . . . .. 34
June. . . ..1002 . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
July . . . . .1005 . .. .  . . . ..  . . . .1 (to date)

There are currently 6 patients, none in ICU and that is down from a maximum of around 160. It really is good news.
Small pockets need to be cleared up, although whilst we have freedom of travel, it will be hard to eradicate from the whole country.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 19, 2020, 04:52:04 PM
Give it a week.

Coronavirus: No spike in cases since lockdown restrictions eased

Maybe give it a month.  ::)
Our GP surgery messaged to say a few cases notified in Stamford Hill, gave a list of the symptoms to watch out for, so to take care and pass the info on to local friends and family. Seems those on the front line (including Mum) are still jumpy about easing the restrictions...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 20, 2020, 11:19:41 AM

I have to admit that I am a bit sensitive on the matter. We appear to be settling on 500-600 a week which is less than the casualty rate from those dodgy tiddy oggies they sell at Lands End and thus not worth worrying on. But it is still not burn out and I will have a few bets to settle.

There is still Leicester and Burnley, (with about  dozen or so places being kept a close watch on,) plus the thousands of idiots at illegal raves plus the "I won't wear a face mask" demos.
I would not go to Land's End before Covid-19 and I would not go there now.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 10:20:22 PM
The "flue" isn't over. Just posted on a local news website:-

More at Link:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/coronavirus-outbreak-confirmed-care-home-4246437#comments-section

20:54, 19 JUN 2020

Coronavirus outbreak confirmed at care home in Cornwall
Cornwall Care said that there are 11 cases at Pengover House in Liskeard

A coronavirus outbreak has been confirmed at a Cornish care home.

The charity that runs the home for up to 36 residents in Liskeard, Pengover House, has reportedly there are 11 cases of Covid-19 there.

Cornwall Care, which also runs 16 other care homes in the county, said it was the first time the infection has appeared there. It said there were no current outbreaks at any of its other homes.
All of its homes stopped allowing visitors soon lockdown started in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus to vulnerable residents.

That was a month ago Pappy. All current casualties have been among members of the tourist industry who topped themselves when the local Luddites decided to drive away all the visitors.

The death rate has been in decline for the last 14 weeks although the Beeb does not seem to have noticed it. But then Auntie does like her bit of gloom and doom.

"So you lost your great, great, great (multiply by thirty) grandmother at the siege of Beziers in 1209? "

"Yes," sniffs the interviewee in a voice choked with bruised pain, "she went to the gift shop and never returned."

I have to admit that I am a bit sensitive on the matter. We appear to be settling on 500-600 a week which is less than the casualty rate from those dodgy tiddy oggies they sell at Lands End and thus not worth worrying on. But it is still not burn out and I will have a few bets to settle.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

The "flue" isn't over. Just posted on a local news website:-

More at Link:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/coronavirus-outbreak-confirmed-care-home-4246437#comments-section

20:54, 19 JUN 2020

Coronavirus outbreak confirmed at care home in Cornwall
Cornwall Care said that there are 11 cases at Pengover House in Liskeard

A coronavirus outbreak has been confirmed at a Cornish care home.

The charity that runs the home for up to 36 residents in Liskeard, Pengover House, has reportedly there are 11 cases of Covid-19 there.

Cornwall Care, which also runs 16 other care homes in the county, said it was the first time the infection has appeared there. It said there were no current outbreaks at any of its other homes.
All of its homes stopped allowing visitors soon lockdown started in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus to vulnerable residents.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 06:20:28 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 19, 2020, 05:52:52 PM

I thought a face shield had to be worn with a mask to be effective. It protects the eyes but with the bottom open bugs have free access both ways.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765525

Face shields come in various forms, but all provide a clear plastic barrier that covers the face. For optimal protection, the shield should extend below the chin anteriorly, to the ears laterally, and there should be no exposed gap between the forehead and the shield's headpiece. Face shields require no special materials for fabrication and production lines can be repurposed fairly rapidly. Numerous companies, including Apple, Nike, GM, and John Deere, have all started producing face shields. These shields can be made from materials found in craft or office supply stores. Thus, availability of face shields is currently greater than that of medical masks.

Face shields offer a number of advantages. While medical masks have limited durability and little potential for reprocessing, face shields can be reused indefinitely and are easily cleaned with soap and water, or common household disinfectants. They are comfortable to wear, protect the portals of viral entry, and reduce the potential for autoinoculation by preventing the wearer from touching their face. People wearing medical masks often have to remove them to communicate with others around them; this is not necessary with face shields. The use of a face shield is also a reminder to maintain social distancing, but allows visibility of facial expressions and lip movements for speech perception.

Most important, face shields appear to significantly reduce the amount of inhalation exposure to influenza virus, another droplet-spread respiratory virus. In a simulation study, face shields were shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96% when worn by a simulated health care worker within 18 inches of a cough.10 Even after 30 minutes, the protective effect exceeded 80% and face shields blocked 68% of small particle aerosols,10 which are not thought to be a dominant mode of transmission of SARS-CoV-2. When the study was repeated at the currently recommended physical distancing distance of 6 feet, face shields reduced inhaled virus by 92%,10 similar to distancing alone, which reinforces the importance of physical distancing in preventing viral respiratory infections. Of note, no studies have evaluated the effects or potential benefits of face shields on source control, ie, containing a sneeze or cough, when worn by asymptomatic or symptomatic infected persons. However, with efficacy ranges of 68% to 96% for a single face shield, it is likely that adding source control would only improve efficacy, and studies should be completed quickly to evaluate this.

I'm not 100% convinced about a face shield as a method of source control. 

It would certainly help to a degree by catching (and protecting against the big "ballistic" droplets.

It's not as effective against the smaller micro droplets

On the other hand the various advantages quoted (cleaning, visual etc) are significant.

Time will tell what different levels of protection offer and are appropriate for a given circumstance

Logistically speaking it would be easier if face shield were proven to be as effective as.cloth masks. Making clear, comfortable face shields is probably considerably easier than making clear comfortable masks.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 19, 2020, 05:52:52 PM

I thought a face shield had to be worn with a mask to be effective. It protects the eyes but with the bottom open bugs have free access both ways.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765525

Face shields come in various forms, but all provide a clear plastic barrier that covers the face. For optimal protection, the shield should extend below the chin anteriorly, to the ears laterally, and there should be no exposed gap between the forehead and the shield's headpiece. Face shields require no special materials for fabrication and production lines can be repurposed fairly rapidly. Numerous companies, including Apple, Nike, GM, and John Deere, have all started producing face shields. These shields can be made from materials found in craft or office supply stores. Thus, availability of face shields is currently greater than that of medical masks.

Face shields offer a number of advantages. While medical masks have limited durability and little potential for reprocessing, face shields can be reused indefinitely and are easily cleaned with soap and water, or common household disinfectants. They are comfortable to wear, protect the portals of viral entry, and reduce the potential for autoinoculation by preventing the wearer from touching their face. People wearing medical masks often have to remove them to communicate with others around them; this is not necessary with face shields. The use of a face shield is also a reminder to maintain social distancing, but allows visibility of facial expressions and lip movements for speech perception.

Most important, face shields appear to significantly reduce the amount of inhalation exposure to influenza virus, another droplet-spread respiratory virus. In a simulation study, face shields were shown to reduce immediate viral exposure by 96% when worn by a simulated health care worker within 18 inches of a cough.10 Even after 30 minutes, the protective effect exceeded 80% and face shields blocked 68% of small particle aerosols,10 which are not thought to be a dominant mode of transmission of SARS-CoV-2. When the study was repeated at the currently recommended physical distancing distance of 6 feet, face shields reduced inhaled virus by 92%,10 similar to distancing alone, which reinforces the importance of physical distancing in preventing viral respiratory infections. Of note, no studies have evaluated the effects or potential benefits of face shields on source control, ie, containing a sneeze or cough, when worn by asymptomatic or symptomatic infected persons. However, with efficacy ranges of 68% to 96% for a single face shield, it is likely that adding source control would only improve efficacy, and studies should be completed quickly to evaluate this.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 05:37:02 PM
Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 19, 2020, 04:52:56 PM

Your plasterers mask will do perfectly well even with your rebellious finger down the side.

It will still block a large % of any infectious particles you might breath out.

You're not required to wear a tightly fitted FFP3 mask.

A loose cotton scarf or bandana would do equally well.

The bandana type wouldn't impair your breathing at all as they are open at the bottom anyway.

Plus you can live out any cowboy bank robber fantasies from your youth

A face shield complies and has the advantage of being easily disinifected and reused many times.

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 19, 2020, 04:52:56 PM

Your plasterers mask will do perfectly well even with your rebellious finger down the side.

The bandana type wouldn't impair your breathing at all as they are open at the bottom anyway.

A face shield complies and has the advantage of being easily disinifected and reused many times.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2020, 03:41:56 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 12:54:38 PM
Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2020, 12:50:14 PM

But I am not wearing a mask.

So you are not going to use public transport?

Well, sort of.

I have started wearing a plasterer's mask when I am on the bus, but I always slide a finger underneath so that I can breathe and let the germs escape.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 12:54:38 PM
Quote from: Borchester on June 19, 2020, 12:50:14 PM

But I am not wearing a mask.

So you are not going to use public transport?

Well, sort of.

I have started wearing a plasterer's mask when I am on the bus, but I always slide a finger underneath so that I can breathe and let the germs escape.
Algerie Francais !