The drum is out again.

Started by Nick, June 16, 2020, 11:13:57 PM

« previous - next »

Mashup

They don't make concern about Covid-19 invalid.

Sadly the world is a shitty place but those in a position to do something about it have other priorities, usually themselves.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on June 17, 2020, 07:45:08 AM

The number of dead caused by by the callous government austerity, cuts to welfare and the DWP incompetence and bloody mindedness.
National disgrace, and yet no mass demonstrations about it.

Everyone is fed up with people cheating the benefits system  , thats why.

Well done the government.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Nalaar

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2020, 11:13:57 PMHow many of you think your life is more valuable than the poorest people in earth?

I think it's quite clear that everyone thinks this.

That is not a reason to not care about others at all though.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2020, 11:13:57 PM
There is so much concern and outcry about CV-19 but once again I'm going to bang my drum and ask questions.

The number of dead caused by by the callous government austerity, cuts to welfare and the DWP incompetence and bloody mindedness.
National disgrace, and yet no mass demonstrations about it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on June 17, 2020, 12:26:27 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 17, 2020, 12:00:10 AM
Quote from: T00ts on June 16, 2020, 11:54:31 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on June 16, 2020, 11:52:01 PM
Well, it makes the corrupt ratings agencies happy to trash our economies (which will kill even more people than C19 globally), and it'll net some billionaires a lot of money betting against the bear ..so what is it to us plebs? We're not allowed to have an opinion that conflicts with the govt, or we will probably be censored..

The Lancet pushed utter pseudo scientific crap on us and told us we should OBEY EVERY COMMAND, and now look what that's gotten us? A second wave is almost inevitable.

The point of my tangential rant, is that the whole thing is a clusterfeck from start to finish; and shines a bright light on WHY those problems are allowed to continue in Africa & elsewhere, it's because things around the world are run by bloody corrupt incompetents.

It can't be much fun living inside your head sometimes.

The truth is rarely fun, that's all I abide by.

What part of what I've written is untrue or needs evidencing? I don't speak from a position of ignorance.

Sorry it was meant in fun. Although I might just raise the thought that some 'truths' depends how you view it and your view is opposite to mine fairly often. Still I guess you can't help it.  :)

Ah no worries.
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on June 17, 2020, 12:23:41 AM
Well, it makes the corrupt ratings agencies happy to trash our economies (which will kill even more people than C19 globally), and it'll net some billionaires a lot of money betting against the bear ..so what is it to us plebs? We're not allowed to have an opinion that conflicts with the govt, or we will probably be censored..

The Lancet pushed utter pseudo scientific crap on us and told us we should OBEY EVERY COMMAND, and now look what that's gotten us? A second wave is almost inevitable.

The point of my tangential rant, is that the whole thing is a clusterfeck from start to finish; and shines a bright light on WHY those problems are allowed to continue in Africa & elsewhere, it's because things around the world are run by bloody corrupt incompetents.

You're totally missing the pint...

Which is, lack of infrastructure. Power stations, electricity, lighting, electric cooking, pumped water.
The likes of Greta Thunberg (recently) are killing the African dream, which is to develop. "No, you can't have a coal fired power station, that is the devil."

Everyone's missing a pint. ;)

Really? What's this then? https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.economist.com/middle-east-and-africa/2019/07/25/african-countries-plan-to-build-dozens-of-coal-fired-power-stations

QuoteThe surgeries are asked to use miniature solar panels which means they have to choose between running the fridge (housing the vaccines) or lights. We are asking the poorest nation in the world to use one of the most expensive power sources.

How common is that?

QuoteWe can save the majority of these lives by letting Africa develop. I'm sure China will fund it same as they fund the roads.

China will do the same thing it does everywhere, build things to extract resources and make profit, same as any business enterprise. This stuff won't particularly bring whole countries up to western standards.

..And Russia in the central african republic and elsewhere are training militias to start wars and stuff. It isn't going to be pretty
+++

T00ts

Quote from: Dynamis on June 17, 2020, 12:00:10 AM

What part of what I've written is untrue or needs evidencing? I don't speak from a position of ignorance.

Sorry it was meant in fun. Although I might just raise the thought that some 'truths' depends how you view it and your view is opposite to mine fairly often. Still I guess you can't help it.  :)

Nick

You're totally missing the pint...

Which is, lack of infrastructure. Power stations, electricity, lighting, electric cooking, pumped water.
The likes of Greta Thunberg (recently) are killing the African dream, which is to develop. "No, you can't have a coal fired power station, that is the devil."

The surgeries are asked to use miniature solar panels which means they have to choose between running the fridge (housing the vaccines) or lights. We are asking the poorest nation in the world to use one of the most expensive power sources.

We can save the majority of these lives by letting Africa develop. I'm sure China will fund it same as they fund the roads.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

+++

T00ts

Borg Refinery

+++

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2020, 11:36:15 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 16, 2020, 11:22:03 PMIt pains all of us. Some of us pay what we can, but it doesn't answer the problems that confront us daily.

I'm not looking for an absolution, I'm looking for a recognition that the problem we face today is minuscule in comparison to what the people of Africa have been enduring for decades.
And I am no Bob Geldof, unwashed arsehole that he is.

So your answer is? Africa is a sink pit. It doesn't seem to matter how much aid and help is thrown at it it still stays the same. Other countries are the same. Yet in these countries there are very wealthy people too. There is an argument that the more we subsidise, the more the rich spend. If we pay via charities too much gets hived off in 'expenses'. If we Foreign Aid them it gets into the wrong hands more often than not. Until the wealthy home bred care it will stay the same. It's heart breaking.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on June 16, 2020, 11:22:03 PMIt pains all of us. Some of us pay what we can, but it doesn't answer the problems that confront us daily.

I'm not looking for an absolution, I'm looking for a recognition that the problem we face today is minuscule in comparison to what the people of Africa have been enduring for decades.
And I am no Bob Geldof, unwashed arsehole that he is. 

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on June 16, 2020, 11:13:57 PM
There is so much concern and outcry about CV-19 but once again I'm going to bang my drum and ask questions.

Things that have been happening for years... And nobody cares about.

5000 children per day die through drinking dirty water.  That's nearly 2 million a year.

750,000 women in Africa die from respiratory diseases through cooking on solid fuel fires indoors.

So how many of you are as concerned about these issues as you are about Covid?
How many of you think your life is more valuable than the poorest people in earth?

435,000 reported deaths compared to almost 3 million silent deaths. These are the lives that matter too me cause I've seen first hand how shitty they were right up to the point they died, and it pains me.

It pains all of us. Some of us pay what we can, but it doesn't answer the problems that confront us daily.

Nick

Things that have been happening for years... And nobody cares about.

5000 children per day die through drinking dirty water.  That's nearly 2 million a year.

750,000 women in Africa die from respiratory diseases through cooking on solid fuel fires indoors.

So how many of you are as concerned about these issues as you are about Covid?
How many of you think your life is more valuable than the poorest people in earth?

435,000 reported deaths compared to almost 3 million silent deaths. These are the lives that matter too me cause I've seen first hand how shitty they were right up to the point they died, and it pains me.