The Academics Say BOTH sides think Violence against MP's is worth it

Started by johnofgwent, October 25, 2019, 12:32:05 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

LOL pull the ladder up behind them more likely Toots,now we have hold of the ladder and time it was pulled back down.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Conchúr post_id=2315 time=1571996035 user_id=83
When you read stuff like this you do wonder at which point British people will realise that the problems of their country are of domestic nature.  So many have fallen for the ruse of the political elite who have always been happy to either explicitly shift the blame on to the E.U., or even if pro-E.U., have been more than happy to let the media do the blame deflecting for them.

The country is almost perpetually governed by a cabal of people who went to the same small pool of posh prep schools and ultra-elite universities.  This cabal shrouds the U.K. Constitution in mystery, desperately avoiding a codified document because this means that they could no longer interpret the constitution in the way they see fit. People go along with it because that's just the way things are . . .they claim to dislike and suspect the elite and yet to continue to vote in the very people .  There is a massive paradox and hypocrisy at the heart of British society's approach to politics and sometimes it seems that many British people are so reluctant to admit domestic failings that they seek mental sanctuary by laying the blame on 'others' — immigrants and the E.U.

This anger that Leavers and Remainers feel, this frustration bubbling into acceptance of violence — It is the slow inevitable result of what happens when a country that claims to crave wrangling power out of the elite cabal paradoxically continues to vote for those who like to keep power in the hands of that cabal.

I just feel that feeds into the same story that originates in the green eyed monster has been peddled by the left for ever, but more so recently. Half the problem with current politics is the lack of intelligence and common sense and the narrow party tied thinking. We are also limited in the choice of those prepared to take the roles. The anger comes from the frustration as those limitations in our current MPs are being recognised. As far as the cabal you mention. To be fair I think that has some truth but that cabal tends to be made up of either highly intelligent/highly successful people who have been prepared to take the risks in order to, yes, serve themselves, but also pull society up behind them.

Sheepy

Nah,the EU is a lying,cheating extension of all of them.See you won't like the truth.Who think they can move it over to Brussels we wouldn't notice.

T00ts

Quote from: "Paulus de B" post_id=2314 time=1571995814 user_id=56
Yes to that (though perhaps more than a smidgeon of charitable thought).  Politicians are in the business of bossing people about and should expect a robust response, but they also have a right to a normal life.  Somebody has to do the job after all.

Most of those who tell a researcher that violence is excusable would never raise their hand against an opponent, and some (?many) of them would intervene if they saw actual violence against a politician, but that doesn't in itself reassure - it only takes a few violent people and a background of vague support for things to go badly wrong.

:hattip

Conchúr

When you read stuff like this you do wonder at which point British people will realise that the problems of their country are of domestic nature.  So many have fallen for the ruse of the political elite who have always been happy to either explicitly shift the blame on to the E.U., or even if pro-E.U., have been more than happy to let the media do the blame deflecting for them.

The country is almost perpetually governed by a cabal of people who went to the same small pool of posh prep schools and ultra-elite universities.  This cabal shrouds the U.K. Constitution in mystery, desperately avoiding a codified document because this means that they could no longer interpret the constitution in the way they see fit. People go along with it because that's just the way things are . . .they claim to dislike and suspect the elite and yet to continue to vote in the very people .  There is a massive paradox and hypocrisy at the heart of British society's approach to politics and sometimes it seems that many British people are so reluctant to admit domestic failings that they seek mental sanctuary by laying the blame on 'others' — immigrants and the E.U.

This anger that Leavers and Remainers feel, this frustration bubbling into acceptance of violence — It is the slow inevitable result of what happens when a country that claims to crave wrangling power out of the elite cabal paradoxically continues to vote for those who like to keep power in the hands of that cabal.

Paulus de B

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2289 time=1571991360 user_id=54
I would agree, but no number of additional wrongs is ever going to make things right. We need a very large dose of common sense with just a smidgen of charitable thought.
Yes to that (though perhaps more than a smidgeon of charitable thought).  Politicians are in the business of bossing people about and should expect a robust response, but they also have a right to a normal life.  Somebody has to do the job after all.

Most of those who tell a researcher that violence is excusable would never raise their hand against an opponent, and some (?many) of them would intervene if they saw actual violence against a politician, but that doesn't in itself reassure - it only takes a few violent people and a background of vague support for things to go badly wrong.

Sheepy

Well on the brightside,the electorate according to academics,have finally realised who cause the problems in the first then Borchester.Bonus.

Which is probably the reason for the shock,after all the shock and awe tactics are biting them back.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry post_id=2306 time=1571995197 user_id=51
No one in their right mind in the UK wants violence to secure political ends.

People in their right minds want MPs in their right minds to carry out the will of the majority of people in their right minds voted for whilst representing the best interests of their constituents. That last bit is where the conflict comes in, when the MPs start thinking too much that they can be our saviours from our own ballot boxes.

In about 6 weeks we will use the non violent way to tell them, yet again, what we vote for.  :dncg:

:tick:  :hattip

Borchester

The worse violence is caused by the state.

I was there in the early 60s when crowd control consisted of the police wadding in with their truncheons and then hauling you off to their vans to give you another kicking afterwards. Plod has calmed down but we still have rubbish such as Anna Sourbum demanding police protection because of a few high words.

The problem is not that a few insults and eggs are thrown at politicians. The problem is that they have managed to convince themselves that they are above such things.

A while back the clearly insane Thomas Mair murdered the MP Jo Cox. And our contemptible Judiciary did as they were told, locked him up for life and made no order that he should receive treatment for the criminally insane.

Arthur Bryant once said democracy was about the right to throw a dead cat at the hustings. Now we have an ersatz version that consists of supposedly grown men and women who are too timid to face the electorate but prefer to spend their time cowering in the Houses of Parliament and whimpering that the voters are being horrid to them.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

No one in their right mind in the UK wants violence to secure political ends.

People in their right minds want MPs in their right minds to carry out the will of the majority of people in their right minds voted for whilst representing the best interests of their constituents. That last bit is where the conflict comes in, when the MPs start thinking too much that they can be our saviours from our own ballot boxes.

In about 6 weeks we will use the non violent way to tell them, yet again, what we vote for.  :dncg:
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy post_id=2301 time=1571994648 user_id=52
This agreeing is becoming the new thing,I am only telling the truth,without the spin.

:lol:  :lol: Well someone has to start the new trend!

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2291 time=1571992721 user_id=54
Again I agree and the example they are giving is no credit to them. However I believe it just needs a small groundswell of opinion to eventually change things and perhaps if there is an effort by the more sensible element in society it would start a movement that would give us all a better quality of life.

This agreeing is becoming the new thing,I am only telling the truth,without the spin.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=2293 time=1571993397 user_id=89
The threat of violence against MPs was increased dramatically as Tory austerity and cuts started to bite,

I have had a notice on my front door for several years now warning Tory canvassers not to bother.

The Tsunami of lies from both sides in the run up to referendum has made matters far worse, and continues to make it worse.

You do make me smile sometimes. It must be tough living in your bunker. I don't think it is just the Tories' fault. Tony Blair with his coven of dark arts didn't do public confidence much good and I am sure no matter how far we go back and whichever party we mention there has always been dissatisfaction. I recall even Charles Dickens mentioning it.

I do wonder though if this feeling that the public is under duress and ineffective in their impact on the bigger things running their lives, has dated back to the Arab Spring unrest. It seems that from then it has steadily flowed right across many countries. It's almost as if we no longer accept the need for leadership or unified society.

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy post_id=2288 time=1571990690 user_id=52
Remain started the whole thing,by their leaders spreading malicious lies that said if enough leavers died they would win,open encouragement of violence.Which was proved wrong at the EU election,which now they would rather forget.

The threat of violence against MPs was increased dramatically as Tory austerity and cuts started to bite,

I have had a notice on my front door for several years now warning Tory canvassers not to bother.

The Tsunami of lies from both sides in the run up to referendum has made matters far worse, and continues to make it worse.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy post_id=2290 time=1571991981 user_id=52
Politicians are not charitable or wise,they are driven by power and money.They are not honourable and use the media as a weapon of mass destruction.

Again I agree and the example they are giving is no credit to them. However I believe it just needs a small groundswell of opinion to eventually change things and perhaps if there is an effort by the more sensible element in society it would start a movement that would give us all a better quality of life.