Would you take the knee?

Started by T00ts, June 18, 2020, 02:19:19 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Javert on June 19, 2020, 06:33:41 PM

Maybe because as foreign secretary he is the official diplomat of the country and as such he should be up to speed on the key cultural issues around the world, especially if they are major topics in the news right now.

They should also be aware of the significance and why things are being done.

I would also think that anyone who refuses to get down on one knee as part of a cultural recognition activity on the basis "I don't kneel for anyone" might want to look at the fragility of their ego.

I'll also remember that next time in church - wouldn't want to express subservience to God or anything.
And I think that anyone with the ego of dictating how someone has to behave you should consider what is more important the acceptance of what others want to express for example by taking the knee but not expecting in return that other should.
And as an aside the odd times I attend family occasions I don't kneel in church either,I'm respectful enough not to shout out that it's all rubbish because I don't believe in it, I might join in the odd hymn which I remember from my schooldays because I enjoy singing and don't boo or hiss at the sermon.
Awful person I know,damned for eternity.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 07:00:59 PMThey would setting themselves up for singing like Demis Roussos.
As T00ts says, first giggle of the day.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 06:54:45 PM

I agree. It's not a part of an inclusive and equal society, which we do live in.
No one is asking me to take a knee, and if they did, they would be setting themselves up in some position of authority over me, and for what?

They would be setting themselves up for singing like Demis Roussos.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 06:46:07 PM

I would also think that anyone who refuses to get down on one knee as part of a cultural recognition activity on the basis "I don't kneel for anyone" might want to look at the fragility of their ego.

Kneeling before or for anyone is NOT part of my culture.
I agree. It's not a part of an inclusive and equal society, which we do live in.
No one is asking me to take a knee, and if they did, they would be setting themselves up in some position of authority over me, and for what?
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Kneeling before or for anyone is NOT part of my culture.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Javert

Maybe because as foreign secretary he is the official diplomat of the country and as such he should be up to speed on the key cultural issues around the world, especially if they are major topics in the news right now.

They should also be aware of the significance and why things are being done.

I'll also remember that next time in church - wouldn't want to express subservience to God or anything.

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on June 18, 2020, 09:12:14 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 18, 2020, 02:19:19 PM
So Dominic Raab has made a personal choice that he kneels for two people. The Queen and his wife when he proposed. What happens? He gets vilified, bullied and called out for his comments. Why should he kneel? Why should he follow when he has a mind of his own? Why does anyone expect everyone to buy into whatever is the madness of the month and conform? What does it prove? Solidarity? With what?

I agree with him. To kneel before someone is to show subservience to acknowledge that they are greater in some way than you. It's a position of pleading, begging and apology. Why did it become what it has? No man will want to take one knee to propose ever again. I am sick and tired of us all being expected to give in to mass hysteria and demands. Heaven help us when we all become mindless mobs following anyone who starts a trend for no other reason than fear of standing out as different.

The man who died should be respected by getting justice. We need to try to make sure that there is no racism - real or imagined - but there is a responsibility required on all sides to make that happen.

I remember during all the women's lib kerfuffle, women who liked and appreciated a door being held open were made to feel embarrassed for not complying with what a minority thought they should do. I think the phrase live and let live is well and truly in room 101.

I admit to being one who prefers to have doors held open, gentlemen to stand for me and give up their seats. At the same time I can admit that I need their strength, particularly with a screwdriver or something bulky. This evening a problem with my garage door prompted me to discuss my repair ideas with my very capable SIL and as I spoke to him the usual expansion of chest and deepening of voice so common when men are treated as they prefer, was only too evident. Not that he volunteered anything different to my thoughts but he did appreciate the discussion/advice. He knows full well that I am pretty handy myself so the notion of physical help wasn't even thought of. A lot of the aspects of women's lib gave men freedom not women.

Nick

So Dominic Raab has made a personal choice that he kneels for two people. The Queen and his wife when he proposed. What happens? He gets vilified, bullied and called out for his comments. Why should he kneel? Why should he follow when he has a mind of his own? Why does anyone expect everyone to buy into whatever is the madness of the month and conform? What does it prove? Solidarity? With what?

I agree with him. To kneel before someone is to show subservience to acknowledge that they are greater in some way than you. It's a position of pleading, begging and apology. Why did it become what it has? No man will want to take one knee to propose ever again. I am sick and tired of us all being expected to give in to mass hysteria and demands. Heaven help us when we all become mindless mobs following anyone who starts a trend for no other reason than fear of standing out as different.

The man who died should be respected by getting justice. We need to try to make sure that there is no racism - real or imagined - but there is a responsibility required on all sides to make that happen.

I remember during all the women's lib kerfuffle, women who liked and appreciated a door being held open were made to feel embarrassed for not complying with what a minority thought they should do. I think the phrase live and let live is well and truly in room 101. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on June 18, 2020, 07:54:49 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on June 18, 2020, 04:18:26 PM
Well my wife proposed to me , very much against the traditions of the day and no she didn't kneel as she had me in a head lock at the time .

So that just leaves the Queen then .
Rough sex is soon to be banned as a legal excuse...
https://inews.co.uk/news/rough-sex-defence-banned-domestic-abuse-bill-murder-law-change-448146

I don't think the Queen needs rough sex as an excuse to kill Philip, simply give him his driving license back.
+++

patman post

Well my wife proposed to me , very much against the traditions of the day and no she didn't kneel as she had me in a head lock at the time .

Rough sex is soon to be banned as a legal excuse...
https://inews.co.uk/news/rough-sex-defence-banned-domestic-abuse-bill-murder-law-change-448146
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

I agree with your post and having watched him that he did nothing wrong,l only differ on this
QuoteWhy does anyone expect everyone to buy into whatever is the madness of the month and conform? What does it prove? Solidarity? With what?
its the madness bit,why is it mad? If people want to do it that's their affair......doesn't mean it's madness.
Anyway to answer your question no I wouldn't kneel for two reasons,one arthritic knees and two with or without arthritis I don't kneel or bow to anyone.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Borchester

:)
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Dynamis on June 18, 2020, 04:26:09 PMDid your wife propose to you in a headlock too??
No, her father had a shotgun.
† The end is nigh †

Benson

I agree too. At all other times, men stand.
How do you change your signature?

Streetwalker

Quote from: Dynamis on June 18, 2020, 04:21:36 PM

😁 ..Proposals south london style?

Indeed  ;)   I have heard its what all angels do