Would you take the knee?

Started by T00ts, June 18, 2020, 02:19:19 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2020, 01:11:58 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 01:01:36 PM

The point is that whoever commits murder is subject to the law. All lives matter.

That does not seem to apply to government ministers.

:o :o :o :o :o That's not worthy of you.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 01:01:36 PM

The point is that whoever commits murder is subject to the law. All lives matter.

That does not seem to apply to government ministers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on June 25, 2020, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: MrMonkey23 on June 25, 2020, 10:41:26 AMI believe all life matters, even that of a black man who robbed a white lady at gunpoint.
And, I guess, also the lives of the two White Police officers who've been charged with murder of Black men...

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on June 25, 2020, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: MrMonkey23 on June 25, 2020, 10:41:26 AMI believe all life matters, even that of a black man who robbed a white lady at gunpoint.
And, I guess, also the lives of the two White Police officers who've been charged with murder of Black men...

Which is why I won't take the knee, because to me the BLM is about poor little sods like Pat who enjoy being victims.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

MrMonkey23

No.  I believe all life matters, even that of a black man who robbed a white lady at gunpoint.  I believe the police around the world have overstepped their mark, I believe governments have too.  They use the police to 'control' the populace - and as we have seen through the corona virus pandemic (even with, as they admit,  lack of understanding of the virus and shaky, somewhat speculative, numbers) the police have been given powers to force 'medical screening' and place people under what is in effect house arrest - all without being tried and convicted.  The police have accepted these powers and waste no time is 'lording' over the people with them.  Both government and thier puppet police need to be brought into line, they work for US.  However, I will not take a knee.

It seems some of black 'victims' are taking it further and expecting white people to bow down to them.  Is this equality - how come we do not see this reported on the mainstream media? I have video evidence that this happens - but why is it given no air time?  Another case, a white man killed by a black man - again no air time.  Why?

patman post

Quote from: Barry on June 20, 2020, 11:48:20 AMhttps://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/1274018866000285697
Read the replies to this Tweet if you want some idea of public opinion of the Police jumping on this bandwagon.
The tweet and responses (pro and anti) don't say whether the Police were instructed to do this — or decided themselves to show support for the idea of fair treatment for a part of the population their organisation has, in the recent past, been officially judged to regard differently...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 20, 2020, 11:48:20 AM
https://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/1274018866000285697
Read the replies to this Tweet if you want some idea of public opinion of the Police jumping on this bandwagon.

In England and Wales those who decide to become police officers take an oath at the point of becoming a constable.
The oath, or attestation, is set within the legislation
of this country, and is as follows:

"I do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and
impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the
duties thereof faithfully according to law."

I read the first dozen or so.  Can't say I'm too surprised at the reactions. I feel much the same myself.

Barry

https://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/1274018866000285697

In England and Wales those who decide to become police officers take an oath at the point of becoming a constable.
The oath, or attestation, is set within the legislation
of this country, and is as follows:

"I do solemnly and sincerely declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the Queen in the office of constable, with fairness, integrity, diligence and
impartiality, upholding fundamental human rights and according equal respect to all people; and that I will, to the best of my power, cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all offences against people and property; and that while I continue to hold the said office I will to the best of my skill and knowledge discharge all the
duties thereof faithfully according to law."
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on June 19, 2020, 08:09:52 PM
Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 07:53:39 PM
Javert, you posted:
QuoteI would also think that anyone who refuses to get down on one knee as part of a cultural recognition activity on the basis "I don't kneel for anyone" might want to look at the fragility of their ego.
Then when challenged:
Quote from: Javert on June 19, 2020, 07:27:58 PMTo be clear I was not suggesting they are forced or should feel obliged to do it - I was commenting on the reason for their not wanting to do it.
You are backtracking on your attempt to shame people into taking meaningless action, like sheep, similar to sheep following the flow.

I was uncomfortable about clapping the NHS, I downright refuse to follow this Americanism.

I think my point at the beginning of this thread was the herd demand that all should follow. I have no problem with the way people show their feelings as long as it's lawful and doesn't threaten others, but the fact that there are those who feel a right to criticise those who don't feel the need to be part of the herd makes me cross. There is too much 'do as I do', 'do as I say' philosophy in blogs, videos and other ways trying to make others feel that they have a role to play as a leader of some movement or other, while the mood lasts.

It is bordering on pathetic. I listen to people who I thought were intelligent jumping on the bandwagon for no reason really than it is there and they want to be relevant. Surely to have independent thought and a preparedness to stand alone is something we all lose at our peril.

@Barry - I don't seem to have had a giggle for ages:(
You should read your own posts more often......they always make me laugh.

Sorry couldn't resist ???
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 19, 2020, 07:53:39 PM
Javert, you posted:
QuoteI would also think that anyone who refuses to get down on one knee as part of a cultural recognition activity on the basis "I don't kneel for anyone" might want to look at the fragility of their ego.
Then when challenged:
Quote from: Javert on June 19, 2020, 07:27:58 PMTo be clear I was not suggesting they are forced or should feel obliged to do it - I was commenting on the reason for their not wanting to do it.
You are backtracking on your attempt to shame people into taking meaningless action, like sheep, similar to sheep following the flow.

I was uncomfortable about clapping the NHS, I downright refuse to follow this Americanism.

I think my point at the beginning of this thread was the herd demand that all should follow. I have no problem with the way people show their feelings as long as it's lawful and doesn't threaten others, but the fact that there are those who feel a right to criticise those who don't feel the need to be part of the herd makes me cross. There is too much 'do as I do', 'do as I say' philosophy in blogs, videos and other ways trying to make others feel that they have a role to play as a leader of some movement or other, while the mood lasts.

It is bordering on pathetic. I listen to people who I thought were intelligent jumping on the bandwagon for no reason really than it is there and they want to be relevant. Surely to have independent thought and a preparedness to stand alone is something we all lose at our peril.

@Barry - I don't seem to have had a giggle for ages!  :(

cromwell

Can't abide racists or anybody targeted  just because they're different,neither can I accept the assumption that being perceived as part of one group means I approve of how a minority behave towards them and all because I refuse to be bamboozled in to an action I don't wish to take part in means I am probably some closet racist myself.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Javert, you posted:
Then when challenged:

† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: cromwell on June 19, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
Quote from: Javert on June 19, 2020, 06:33:41 PM

Maybe because as foreign secretary he is the official diplomat of the country and as such he should be up to speed on the key cultural issues around the world, especially if they are major topics in the news right now.

They should also be aware of the significance and why things are being done.

I would also think that anyone who refuses to get down on one knee as part of a cultural recognition activity on the basis "I don't kneel for anyone" might want to look at the fragility of their ego.

I'll also remember that next time in church - wouldn't want to express subservience to God or anything.

And I think that anyone with the ego of dictating how someone has to behave you should consider what is more important the acceptance of what others want to express for example by taking the knee but not expecting in return that other should.
And as an aside the odd times I attend family occasions I don't kneel in church either,I'm respectful enough not to shout out that it's all rubbish because I don't believe in it, I might join in the odd hymn which I remember from my schooldays because I enjoy singing and don't boo or hiss at the sermon.
Awful person I know,damned for eternity.

To be clear I was not suggesting they are forced or should feel obliged to do it - I was commenting on the reason for their not wanting to do it.

Javert

Also I think many are completely missing the point of what it was first done for - this was originally started by US black athletes as a protest against police killings of minority people, and the taking of the knee was a gesture of defiance and refusal to stand during the playing of the national anthem before games.

I always assumed it was an kind of ironic gesture to symbolise the enforced subservience of minorities to the police and to white people in general, and definitely not a gesture of subservience.

If white people or other nationalities decide to join in with this, in my view they are acting in solidarity with those original (and ongoing) protests.  Unfortunately of course, as usual, we have the usual suspects trying to portray this either as a protest directly against the government authority, or as a gesture of subservience from white people to black people.  Neither is true.

As with all things like this, nobody is forcing you to do it, but again the usual suspects would like to portray it as if people are somehow being forced.