Would you take the knee?

Started by T00ts, June 18, 2020, 02:19:19 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Well it seems Millwall will be the first to stop kneeling before games . The booing has obviously had an effect with the club owners and they have decided that Millwall players will now link arms under an anti racist message (The kick it out campaign that has been running for a number of years )

I really do hope the booing will now be replaced with clapping .

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on December 06, 2020, 05:58:42 PM
Millwall supporters were season ticket holders, so the usual stuff could have been expected:

The club's 3,000 season ticket holders will be split into two lots of 1,500 people – Group A and B - with the chosen group rotated after every two games. The available tickets remaining before capacity is reached will be allocated by way of a ballot from the group not automatically selected for that game. The ballot will be rotated on a fair and even basis so that all eligible fans are able to see extra games as and when possible in order to continue to maximise capacity
https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/november/millwall-confirm-season-ticket-holder-attendance-plans/

Though it was probably less troublesome than the usual punch-ups with the opposing team's supporters...

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/uk-sports/2019/01/28/police-investigating-shocking-violence-as-millwall-call-for-united-education/
https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/483273/millwall-violence-fans-fa-cup-steve-kavanagh-full-interview/
I didn't get it, are they banning them for fighting with rival supporters away from the ground, or for booing people kneeling in support of BLM?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on December 06, 2020, 01:01:11 PM
And I'll stick my two pennorth in here,unless you are in to footie you wouldn't know Millwall have a certain reputation,something my cop relative has attested to.
Millwall supporters were season ticket holders, so the usual stuff could have been expected:

The club's 3,000 season ticket holders will be split into two lots of 1,500 people – Group A and B - with the chosen group rotated after every two games. The available tickets remaining before capacity is reached will be allocated by way of a ballot from the group not automatically selected for that game. The ballot will be rotated on a fair and even basis so that all eligible fans are able to see extra games as and when possible in order to continue to maximise capacity
https://www.millwallfc.co.uk/news/2020/november/millwall-confirm-season-ticket-holder-attendance-plans/

Though it was probably less troublesome than the usual punch-ups with the opposing team's supporters...

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/uk-sports/2019/01/28/police-investigating-shocking-violence-as-millwall-call-for-united-education/
https://talksport.com/football/fa-cup/483273/millwall-violence-fans-fa-cup-steve-kavanagh-full-interview/
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

And I'll stick my two pennorth in here,unless you are in to footie you wouldn't know Millwall have a certain reputation,something my cop relative has attested to.

Until a few years ago you would be right

Then a bunch of islamist machete wielders decided to slaughter people drinking around the London Bridge area.

And one of Milwall's fans, greatly aggrieved at this outrage, whacked one of the bastards with a chair, or similar, whilst yelling F@@@ YOU I'M MILWALL

As a direct result of that, the remnants of Peter Hain's Antifa Boot Boys formed an barrage across the hospital into which he was admitted for his injuries, stating that the press had no right to make the guy a hero.

A year or so on, I wonder how many google searches will reveal the name of the thug who chose to say who the press could, and could not, credit for giving the islamist basyatd what he deserved.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 06, 2020, 04:14:24 PM
We as a rule don't support BLM which was the original  take the knee gesture and though it seems to have morphed into a general ''we oppose discrimination in all forms '' message which we would agree with the damage was done when the blacks hitched their horses to the BLM political movement and rioted in our city centres.

Personally anyone asking me to take the knee would be likely to be given the knee.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Indeed and a reputation the media were happy to jump on . They didnt report that West Ham supporters did exactly the same in my London Stadium (Its mine because my rates paid for it before it was given away )

Fans all over will repeat what happened at these matches . We as a rule don't support BLM which was the original  take the knee gesture and though it seems to have morphed into a general ''we oppose discrimination in all forms '' message which we would agree with the damage was done when the blacks hitched their horses to the BLM political movement and rioted in our city centres.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on December 06, 2020, 01:04:15 PM
This is exactly what I mean - In what sense is it not?

What someone hears the national anthem and they chose to stop speaking, stand, remove hats, maybe sing aloud or any other action they chose to take that they consider respectful, or patriotic etc. They are expressing virtues, and opinions that are not shared with someone who would chose not to stand, and instead talk over the anthem.

I can remember the days when the National Anthem was played in cinemas at the end of the evening, that caused a mad rush for the exit.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on December 06, 2020, 12:40:25 PM
I find that quite a strange comment. How do you view a National Anthem as virtue signalling?

This is exactly what I mean - In what sense is it not?

What someone hears the national anthem and they chose to stop speaking, stand, remove hats, maybe sing aloud or any other action they chose to take that they consider respectful, or patriotic etc. They are expressing virtues, and opinions that are not shared with someone who would chose not to stand, and instead talk over the anthem.

Don't believe everything you think.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

T00ts

Quote from: Nalaar on December 06, 2020, 12:24:03 PM
Interesting that you bring up national anthems -  Standing for a national anthem is the same virtue signalling as kneeling in protest.

People are very much interested in what others want to signal, especially if they disagree with what is being signalled or how, however people rarely seem to acknowledge that their own actions are signalling of any sort.

I find that quite a strange comment. How do you view a National Anthem as virtue signalling?

Nalaar

Quote from: T00ts on December 06, 2020, 11:09:31 AMAre we to expect bending the knee to become a tradition alongside the club anthems or even National Anthems?

Interesting that you bring up national anthems -  Standing for a national anthem is the same virtue signalling as kneeling in protest.

People are very much interested in what others want to signal, especially if they disagree with what is being signalled or how, however people rarely seem to acknowledge that their own actions are signalling of any sort.
Don't believe everything you think.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on December 06, 2020, 10:32:02 AM
Well a bunch of Millwall fans did not approve of some making this gesture at a football game yesterday.

I support the right of those individuals who wish to take the knee in support of anti-racism.

I also support the right of Millwall fans to express their displeasure by booing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMGn4MjHKVs

What are they supporting? What are they really signalling? Is a sporting arena really the right place for it? I can't help feel that it is a bit passive aggressive. It also confounds me that the footy authorities have blasted the fans. The fans are their bread and butter. Are we to expect bending the knee to become a tradition alongside the club anthems or even National Anthems?

Barry

Well a bunch of Millwall fans did not approve of some making this gesture at a football game yesterday.

I support the right of those individuals who wish to take the knee in support of anti-racism.

I also support the right of Millwall fans to express their displeasure by booing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMGn4MjHKVs
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Just because I am not here in body, don't think for a minute I am not  here in spirit. :)
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!