To the surprise of no-one...tracking app changes

Started by BeElBeeBub, June 18, 2020, 04:26:15 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Javert on October 02, 2020, 03:43:05 PM

However, I'm sure the company that made the app will simple and quietly fix it behind the scenes.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Javert

Quote from: Barry on October 01, 2020, 04:15:30 PMIt does quite a bit of damage if someone is wrongfully imprisoned for 14 days.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-some-users-of-nhs-tracing-app-incorrectly-given-covid-19-exposure-alerts-12086225

They are not being imprisoned though - there is no instruction to self isolate if you receive a notification like that.  I suspect that is a notification that Apple or Google thinks you have passed near someone who had tested positive at some point - the app doesn't consider this as a valid exposure as the duration was too short or the distance too far.

However, it appears that these notifications are in dispute - the government is trying to blame apple/google for this and says it can't be switched off, but, other country users are not reporting this issue.  It's no surprise to me that the English government would try to blame someone else for their poorly programmed app, rather than just saying "this is a new app it has a few bugs which will be fixed in the next update" which is the normal thing with such apps.

If you have a government which continuously lies, refuses to accept responsibility for anything, and refuses to accept that anything it has done isn't already perfect and couldn't possibly need fixing, this would then be the result.

However, I'm sure the company that made the app will simple and quietly fix it behind the scenes.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on October 01, 2020, 04:15:30 PM
It does quite a bit of damage if someone is wrongfully imprisoned for 14 days.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-some-users-of-nhs-tracing-app-incorrectly-given-covid-19-exposure-alerts-12086225

Unbelievable.

And people want us to blindly tether ourselves to this fucking BS? Really? And wonder why we iz nuf vexxed yeh bruv?
+++

Barry

Quote from: Javert on October 01, 2020, 02:34:48 PM
Obviously not, but they are legally obliged to dispose of the data after I think 30 days, and we are in a virus pandemic which requires additional measures.  Not to mention, a person's name, address and phone number is not really enough information to do any major damage and can in many cases be quite easily obtained by other sources.
It does quite a bit of damage if someone is wrongfully imprisoned for 14 days.

† The end is nigh †

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Javert

Quote from: Dynamis on September 30, 2020, 04:04:57 PM
Not really - they should offer a paper based checking option or a device at the entrance.  However I am ok with people not being admitted if they refuse to provide any contact info.

If it turned out that a large percent of people are giving fake contact info I might have to review my opinion.

So you're ok with contact info being misused en masse then.

Obviously not, but they are legally obliged to dispose of the data after I think 30 days, and we are in a virus pandemic which requires additional measures.  Not to mention, a person's name, address and phone number is not really enough information to do any major damage and can in many cases be quite easily obtained by other sources.

Sheepy

Just a word of warning for you neoliberal types, the scammers are using the App to con people out of their credit card details, don't fall for it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Javert on September 30, 2020, 11:13:54 AM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 29, 2020, 10:07:13 PMSo you're not in favour of this idea then?

Not really - they should offer a paper based checking option or a device at the entrance.  However I am ok with people not being admitted if they refuse to provide any contact info.

If it turned out that a large percent of people are giving fake contact info I might have to review my opinion.

So you're ok with contact info being misused en masse then.
+++

Javert

Quote from: Dynamis on September 29, 2020, 10:07:13 PMSo you're not in favour of this idea then?

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Javert on September 29, 2020, 06:21:26 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 28, 2020, 04:22:20 PMSo you're in favour of barring people who A) don't have smartphones (or don't take them with them, like me) and B) barring folks who don't wanna install a faulty phone app that saps battery life (read the comments on twitter - NHS worker NEEDS their fone for work, says they can't have the app) and C) you think folks should give their data will nilly on paper to the most trustworthy people ever...bartenders, when abuses have already occurred.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/test-trace-used-harass-women-already/amp/

You are sounding like another sycophantic Westminster party worshipper who unquestioningly obeys Bojo's commands.. what next? Brexit is unquestionably good for us?

As toots pointed out, I never said I was in favour of pubs doing that - I was just pointing out that under the law, if a pub decided to do that I'm not sure the customers could do much about it, other than go to a different pub with a paper check in option.  In Practice I suspect most pubs will offer a paper check in option and indeed I've seen that in the places I've been to.

OK Javert, my apologies.

So you're not in favour of this idea then?
+++

Barry

Hey, Sheepy, you downloaded the life saving app yet?
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: Dynamis on September 28, 2020, 04:22:20 PMSo you're in favour of barring people who A) don't have smartphones (or don't take them with them, like me) and B) barring folks who don't wanna install a faulty phone app that saps battery life (read the comments on twitter - NHS worker NEEDS their fone for work, says they can't have the app) and C) you think folks should give their data will nilly on paper to the most trustworthy people ever...bartenders, when abuses have already occurred.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/test-trace-used-harass-women-already/amp/

You are sounding like another sycophantic Westminster party worshipper who unquestioningly obeys Bojo's commands.. what next? Brexit is unquestionably good for us?

As toots pointed out, I never said I was in favour of pubs doing that - I was just pointing out that under the law, if a pub decided to do that I'm not sure the customers could do much about it, other than go to a different pub with a paper check in option.  In Practice I suspect most pubs will offer a paper check in option and indeed I've seen that in the places I've been to.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2020, 08:17:09 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 28, 2020, 08:04:32 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2020, 05:50:33 PM
Quote from: Dynamis on September 28, 2020, 05:37:50 PMI suppose that includes 100 MP's and over half the country, so we're all 5 year olds and Toots is the only grown up in the room. 

Quote (selected)

That's cool, what's your favourite performance? I do like ballet quite a lot, actually.

There is a saying - if the cap fits!

Why yes, jumping up and down in frustration at others criticising the govt/ jumping up and down in frustration at the govt, is a winning strategy, one must do it as frequently as possible.   :D :D :D

Quoteam a bit of a classicist so I love the old classics. Swan Lake, Giselle, La Fille. I am not so keen on modern choreography partly because I don't always like the music but also some of it seems like choreography for choreography sake. I guess I don't follow the crowd in anything.

I only know the classics and have watched a couple of performances, that's all I know. Do they make new modern ballets? I guess they must but truthfully I was unaware..

Have you ever been to the Bolshoi?

I have seen them when they came here for the first time. A load of us queued outside Covent Garden for a week. Great fun. I also saw Nureyev with Fontaine when he first defected.  Happy days but hard.

That's great, they are very good.. I'll bet a lot were cr*pping themselves to get in but tickets were probably much cheaper back then. I heard that you had touts even then who would make an entire living from the various musical seasons and selling such..

Quote from: patman post on September 28, 2020, 08:42:01 PM
Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2020, 08:17:09 PMI also saw Nureyev with Fontaine when he first defected.
White tights tend not to hide accidents...

Racist poops. ;) And a patman to post..
+++

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on September 28, 2020, 08:17:09 PMI also saw Nureyev with Fontaine when he first defected.
White tights tend not to hide accidents...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...