Death in Custody, Devon and Cornwall Police

Started by papasmurf, June 19, 2020, 07:29:44 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on June 19, 2020, 08:24:08 PM

You mean like you with your hatred of tories,ambitions to assassinate,desire to eradicate tourists now,perhaps you would benefit from a mob handed visit eh!

I have no criminal record, plus a security marker on the PNC.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on June 19, 2020, 08:18:25 PM
Thanks for those links. I did wonder why the Devon and Cornwall Police went in "mob handed," to arrest one man, most unusual unless the arrestee is "known."  I thought he would have "previous."
You mean like you with your hatred of tories,ambitions to assassinate,desire to eradicate tourists now,perhaps you would benefit from a mob handed visit eh!
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Thanks for those links. I did wonder why the Devon and Cornwall Police went in "mob handed," to arrest one man, most unusual unless the arrestee is "known."  I thought he would have "previous."

Barry

This from 2014
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/washwood-heath-cannabis-dealer-broke-7798961
QuoteSentencing him to eight months prison, suspended for 12 months, Recorder Chris Bright QC told Francis: "In the normal course of events you would face immediate custody of a year or more.

"A number of things save you from that.

"Your age and the fact you seem to be maturing, you have no previous involvement with drugs.

"Through your own stupid attempt you suffered a below the knee fracture which has caused you ongoing difficulties with pain and mobility.

"While you brought it on yourself it is right to take in into account as you suffered significant consequences and it has caused you to reflect on your life."

Rhydian James, prosecuting, said the drugs would have been worth up to £2,000 on the streets.

He added before arrest Francis had chewed the sim card from his phone to stop it being analysed by cops.

Fergal Bloomer, defending, said the injuries and the imminent birth of Francis' child had made him re-evaluate his life and the direction it was taking.

He said: "He tells me that's caused him to reflect on where his life was going.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Whilst on the face of it this looks bad, I need a lot more detail before I come to any conclusions. (That could be until after the two investigations.)

More, (but not enough,) at link:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53108698

Simeon Francis: Police investigated over 'I can't breathe' video
5 hours ago

A police force has referred itself to an independent watchdog after a video emerged of a man saying "I can't breathe" while being arrested.

The family of Simeon Francis believe excessive force was used by Devon and Cornwall Police in the arrest in Exeter in July 2019, said a family spokesman.

Mr Francis, 35, died in a police cell in Torquay in May after again being arrested by the same police force.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) will investigate.

The IOPC is also investigating the death in custody of Mr Francis.

Mr Francis, a black man who has a 10-year-old child, moved to Torquay from Birmingham 16 years ago.