Covid 19- Pluses and minuses

Started by Borchester, June 20, 2020, 07:09:18 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 22, 2020, 07:44:44 AM
Quote from: Borchester on June 20, 2020, 07:09:18 PMThe good news is that it should be over in the UK by mid July which means thousands of UK pensioners will manage to croak on for a few extra months before dying of something interesting.
As Javert pointed out, you keep moving the end date. Like Fusion power and AI the goal is always just around the corner.

Several places that have relaxed restrictions are seeing infections rise again (Germany, Florida, Texas, Arizona, California etc).

Whilst there will be some frail "at death's door" victims of CV who might not have seen out the summer, the average life expectancy of a CV19 victim is 10 years.

Focussing on the deaths amongst the elderly also misses the significant "long tail" victims who still haven't recovered after 8 or more weeks.

A recent study found 40% of suffers with "mild" symptoms had abnormal pneumonia like CT scans 8 weeks after initial symptoms.

All true Bebe. As I have already posted I took the view that the decline in the Kung Flu deaths was linear, but it now appears to be exponential, which has cocked up my figures. Still, I reckon we should see burn out by mid July.

Alternatively I could be completely wrong and there will be another flare up that will see millions greeting the New Year shrieking in pain and lying in puddles of their own foul wastes, which will suggest that we still know how to enjoy Christmas.

Which reminds me. Time to order up the Christmas seed potatoes.
Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on June 20, 2020, 07:09:18 PMThe good news is that it should be over in the UK by mid July which means thousands of UK pensioners will manage to croak on for a few extra months before dying of something interesting.
As Javert pointed out, you keep moving the end date. Like Fusion power and AI the goal is always just around the corner.

Several places that have relaxed restrictions are seeing infections rise again (Germany, Florida, Texas, Arizona, California etc).

Whilst there will be some frail "at death's door" victims of CV who might not have seen out the summer, the average life expectancy of a CV19 victim is 10 years.

Focussing on the deaths amongst the elderly also misses the significant "long tail" victims who still haven't recovered after 8 or more weeks.

A recent study found 40% of suffers with "mild" symptoms had abnormal pneumonia like CT scans 8 weeks after initial symptoms.

Borchester

Quote from: Javert on June 21, 2020, 01:48:12 PM
Quote from: Borchester on June 20, 2020, 07:09:18 PM
The good news is that it should be over in the UK by mid July which means thousands of UK pensioners will manage to croak on for a few extra months before dying of something interesting.

The bad news is that I have been looking after a mate's allotment while he was stuck up north looking after his mum and boarding in a pub where he has spent the last three months rat arsed. I had hopes that this happy state of affairs would continue and that I could quietly take over his plot but no, I have just had a text from him declaring that as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted he will be down to do bugger up all my plans.

Bugger, bugger, bugger

A few weeks back you were posting that it would be over by mid June.

That is true lottie. At one stage the mortality rate was nigh on linear, but now the graph appears to be that of an exponential function.

Even so, I think we should reach burn out by mid July.

Or maybe the plague will continue to rage and bugger up Christmas.

Still, the longer it lasts the longer my mate is stuck up north and less inclined to reclaim his allotment. An ill wind etc  :) :)
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on June 20, 2020, 07:24:54 PM
The good news is that it should be over in the UK by mid July which means thousands of UK pensioners will manage to croak on for a few extra months before dying of something interesting.

The bad news is that I have been looking after a mate's allotment while he was stuck up north looking after his mum and boarding in a pub where he has spent the last three months rat arsed. I had hopes that this happy state of affairs would continue and that I could quietly take over his plot but no, I have just had a text from him declaring that as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted he will be down to do bugger up all my plans.

Bugger, bugger, bugger

Unlucky borkie.

Pity pappasmurf wasnt your allotment partner. Pappy has promised not to leave the house forevermore , meaning you could have quietly taken over his allotment.

Sadly though your loss is cornwalls gain.

Meanwhile  , have a thought for poor stevlin down in scouse land. The end of the furlough period hasnt gone down too well i hear........

:) :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Javert on June 21, 2020, 01:48:12 PM

However, this discounts the possibility of further peaks of infection, even though they have happened with pretty much every other pandemic in history.

At least it is looking as if few people turned up to Trump's rally.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Javert

Bugger, bugger, bugger

A few weeks back you were posting that it would be over by mid June.

Keep pushing it out a few weeks and sooner or later you are bound to be correct.

However, this discounts the possibility of further peaks of infection, even though they have happened with pretty much every othe pandemic in history.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 21, 2020, 12:25:11 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2020, 12:16:50 PMIt hasn't taken a week. (Covid-19 outbreaks in abattoirs in recent days is a worry, Wales, England, Germany and France.)
Of 230,550 people tested 2 days ago only 1,295 were positive. (0,56%). All still coming down, but you have to worry yourself and try to worry us, don't you?
That's people who think they have it and got a test! 1:200.
Don't worry, be happy.

Infections still running at 4000 a day, (ONS stated at daily briefings.) Outbreak in Cornish nursing home.
History repeating itself from 100 years ago. Far too many idiots ignoring regulations, lock down and distancing.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2020, 12:16:50 PMIt hasn't taken a week. (Covid-19 outbreaks in abattoirs in recent days is a worry, Wales, England, Germany and France.) 
Of 230,550 people tested 2 days ago only 1,295 were positive. (0,56%). All still coming down, but you have to worry yourself and try to worry us, don't you?
That's people who think they have it and got a test! 1:200.
Don't worry, be happy.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on June 21, 2020, 11:29:17 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2020, 09:03:47 AMI looks like the spike has started.
I suppose you meant "It".
Hey, give it a week eh Smurfy. ::)

It hasn't taken a week. (Covid-19 outbreaks in abattoirs in recent days is a worry, Wales, England, Germany and France.) 

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 21, 2020, 09:03:47 AMI looks like the spike has started.
I suppose you meant "It".
Hey, give it a week eh Smurfy. ::)
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

The good news is that it should be over in the UK by mid July

I doubt that very much. Track and Trace a shambles , two food processing plants shut down due to Covid-19. I looks like the spike has started.

Thomas

Bugger, bugger, bugger

Unlucky borkie.

Pity pappasmurf wasnt your allotment partner. Pappy has promised not to leave the house forevermore , meaning you could have quietly taken over his allotment.

Sadly though your loss is cornwalls gain.

Meanwhile  , have a thought for poor stevlin down in scouse land. The end of the furlough period hasnt gone down too well i hear........

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Borchester

Bugger, bugger, bugger
Algerie Francais !