Doctors are worried at last.

Started by T00ts, June 23, 2020, 09:54:18 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 25, 2020, 09:32:09 AM
Quote from: Javert on June 24, 2020, 11:27:30 PM

To double confirm previous medical diagnosis my wife just got a positive Covid-19 antibody test result.  She got the test as she's an NHS employee and they were doing full blood tests.

How bad was the disease for her ?

If I remember right she was in hospital for some time.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Javert on June 24, 2020, 11:27:30 PM

To double confirm previous medical diagnosis my wife just got a positive Covid-19 antibody test result.  She got the test as she's an NHS employee and they were doing full blood tests.

How bad was the disease for her ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Javert

T00ts

Quote from: Borchester on June 24, 2020, 01:43:48 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on June 24, 2020, 07:15:44 AM
Quote from: T00ts on June 23, 2020, 09:54:18 PM
There was a lot of discussion today about lung damage caused by Covid 19. They are now panicking a bit that there are not enough doctors, x-ray machines, scanners to cover what they expect to be an ongoing health problem. From my own experience there is currently no cure and apart from oxygen, steroid inhalers and steroids not much alternative treatment. Each cold may well turn into chest infections, tiredness caused by diminished oxygen saturation will be ongoing.

As if those who have recovered have not had enough to deal with, this serious for some, will continue throughout life. Each time I see BJ on TV I sense the effort he is having to make. He hides it pretty well but I know that feeling and it's exhausting. I saw a week or so ago that he went to Buckingham Palace grounds to exercise in private. I would imagine it might have been a shock to find  his fitness depleted.

Im pretty much in the same boat .Since my infection Ive found my fitness has dropped off a cliff .Im panting like an old Labrador just walking up the road for can of lager and the thought of doing a days work is I fear some way in the distance .
Ive just had a medical though along with an chest x-ray and will have to see whats going on . The doc does say though that many , many people are reporting the same conditions in the recovery stage of this illness .

I sort of know how you feel. I am at that stage in my life and general decrepitude when I no sooner get shot of one bug than I pick up another. And two or three years ago it came as a bit of a surprise to discover that I could no longer spend a fortnight on brandy, aspirins and self pity and then bounce out of bed ready to take on the world.

But we do get over these things. They just take longer. My wife is asthmatic so I have spent the last three months  sleeping in the spare room for fear of infecting her. There is a coffee shop near us where all the young mums go to get a break from being young mums. Madam loves going there and making a fuss of the kids and talking whatever happy bollocks women like to talk and I would love to take her. But I can't because this kung flu is dragging on and on and arse numbingly on.

Most serious Chinese cough sufferers are getting on a bit and if their doctors are telling them that the bug is damaging their lungs then the patients should have a whip round to give the aforementioned quacks some sort of award for stating the bleeding obvious.

I have no doubt mentioned this before so please accept my apologies in advance,  but a few years ago when I was in my late sixties a couple of lads tried to mug me. I left one on the ground crying and his mate ran away. Right now I would have just about enough puff to hand over my wallet. The only cure for this bug is a draught or two from the fountain of Youth. When the medical profession find that Streetwalker can come round and finish my extension, Toots can dance on the lawn and the rest of you can turn my compost heap and cut out a new bed for all the weeds Herself keeps buying at half price.

You do have to be fairly pro-active. I have found over the years that the doctors are often great but feel the job is done when they write a prescription. I am not a walkover if I don't like or agree with their prescribed meds. There have been several occasions when they have changed my meds and left me crawling around until I have got their attention re-focused. Over the last 30 years I have found practitioners who have found out what I am allergic to, shown me how to use homeopathic stuff when needed and various other self help methods. With that help I managed to work/dance 55 hours a week and generally keep going at a reasonable level. Since retiring it has been harder to maintain a fitness level that I am happy with but other factors have had a bearing on that too. State of mind is a big factor. I sense that BJ has been grappling with that over the last weeks since he came out of hospital and the problem is that unless you have been there yourself no-one quite gets it.

Borchester

There was a lot of discussion today about lung damage caused by Covid 19. They are now panicking a bit that there are not enough doctors, x-ray machines, scanners to cover what they expect to be an ongoing health problem. From my own experience there is currently no cure and apart from oxygen, steroid inhalers and steroids not much alternative treatment. Each cold may well turn into chest infections, tiredness caused by diminished oxygen saturation will be ongoing.

As if those who have recovered have not had enough to deal with, this serious for some, will continue throughout life. Each time I see BJ on TV I sense the effort he is having to make. He hides it pretty well but I know that feeling and it's exhausting. I saw a week or so ago that he went to Buckingham Palace grounds to exercise in private. I would imagine it might have been a shock to find  his fitness depleted.

Im pretty much in the same boat .Since my infection Ive found my fitness has dropped off a cliff .Im panting like an old Labrador just walking up the road for can of lager and the thought of doing a days work is I fear some way in the distance .
Ive just had a medical though along with an chest x-ray and will have to see whats going on . The doc does say though that many , many people are reporting the same conditions in the recovery stage of this illness .

I sort of know how you feel. I am at that stage in my life and general decrepitude when I no sooner get shot of one bug than I pick up another. And two or three years ago it came as a bit of a surprise to discover that I could no longer spend a fortnight on brandy, aspirins and self pity and then bounce out of bed ready to take on the world.

But we do get over these things. They just take longer. My wife is asthmatic so I have spent the last three months  sleeping in the spare room for fear of infecting her. There is a coffee shop near us where all the young mums go to get a break from being young mums. Madam loves going there and making a fuss of the kids and talking whatever happy bollocks women like to talk and I would love to take her. But I can't because this kung flu is dragging on and on and arse numbingly on.

Most serious Chinese cough sufferers are getting on a bit and if their doctors are telling them that the bug is damaging their lungs then the patients should have a whip round to give the aforementioned quacks some sort of award for stating the bleeding obvious.

I have no doubt mentioned this before so please accept my apologies in advance,  but a few years ago when I was in my late sixties a couple of lads tried to mug me. I left one on the ground crying and his mate ran away. Right now I would have just about enough puff to hand over my wallet. The only cure for this bug is a draught or two from the fountain of Youth. When the medical profession find that Streetwalker can come round and finish my extension, Toots can dance on the lawn and the rest of you can turn my compost heap and cut out a new bed for all the weeds Herself keeps buying at half price.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 24, 2020, 11:36:37 AM
I keep one of these which helps to keep me mindful of where I am. As long as my sats are at about 95% I'm ok. Down to 92% and I know I need to breathe extra deep or sit down.

I have had on of those blood oxygen/ pulse rate checkers for some time, I carry it with me. (It is also handy for checking casualties at events,)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on June 24, 2020, 11:11:52 AM

My wife is going back for blood tests today - she had coronavirus back in March and was getting slowly better over many weeks - last week she seemed fine.

However this week her peak flows have reduced a lot (nearly to the level of having to go to hospital) but with no apparent accompanying chest infection or cold - doctor is sending her back to hospital for tests today. 

I've seen a lot of reports about the "long tail" of this virus where quite a few people are going through waves of feeling ill for many weeks or months afterwards. 

I'm not sure if they know whether this kind of thing will be permanent for some sufferers or just taking a long time to recover.  Her GP seemed to think she would have several months of issues and in fact he "banned" her from going back to work today (she was originally planning to start working from home just for an hour or two a day on a return to work scheme) and has signed her off for minimum another 2 weeks.

Personally I am back to running 10K again about once a week and I haven't noticed any significant change in fitness using the activity watch metrics, times, or heart rates post CV19.  It does seem to me though that I don't "feel" as energetic as before and still feel like I'm dragging myself about the place sometimes.  I guess this could also be due to the general stress from the overall changes to the world.

As an ex ballet dancer/teacher I was incredibly fit and for my age and health still am. Doctors tend to be surprised. It does require self help which I have had to learn over the years. Pushing yourself when the body doesn't have the energy is a real no no. The lack of energy is often a lack of oxygen. I keep one of these which helps to keep me mindful of where I am. As long as my sats are at about 95% I'm ok. Down to 92% and I know I need to breathe extra deep or sit down.

https://www.wish.com/product/5b7e3033ef0e827a35fe15bc?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c=%7BcampaignId%7D&ad_cid=5b7e3033ef0e827a35fe15bc&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=7.00&campaign_id=6493229882&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlIn-75-a6gIVF-DtCh1bSQgxEAQYASABEgJf0PD_BwE&share=web

Javert

My wife is going back for blood tests today - she had coronavirus back in March and was getting slowly better over many weeks - last week she seemed fine.

However this week her peak flows have reduced a lot (nearly to the level of having to go to hospital) but with no apparent accompanying chest infection or cold - doctor is sending her back to hospital for tests today. 

I've seen a lot of reports about the "long tail" of this virus where quite a few people are going through waves of feeling ill for many weeks or months afterwards. 

I'm not sure if they know whether this kind of thing will be permanent for some sufferers or just taking a long time to recover.  Her GP seemed to think she would have several months of issues and in fact he "banned" her from going back to work today (she was originally planning to start working from home just for an hour or two a day on a return to work scheme) and has signed her off for minimum another 2 weeks.

Personally I am back to running 10K again about once a week and I haven't noticed any significant change in fitness using the activity watch metrics, times, or heart rates post CV19.  It does seem to me though that I don't "feel" as energetic as before and still feel like I'm dragging myself about the place sometimes.  I guess this could also be due to the general stress from the overall changes to the world.

johnofgwent

Not for the first time I feel the need to be thankful for the generic quirk that allows me to function fully for a short time anyway in extreme lox oxygen levels.

The company driver who went down with "pneumonia" in late autumn was a fairly fit chap in his twenties. He now has trouble lifting heavy objects
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

T00ts

You have my sympathy. You may well find that you will need inhalers to relieve it and open up airways. Things that I have found to help to a degree. Try to reduce inflammation in the system. So for me it has been no dairy - or very occasionally. Reduce sugar or cut it altogether if you can. Practice really deep breathing, it's better when I lift my arms as I breathe in, but really try to strengthen chest/breathing muscles. I hope the tests go well.

Streetwalker

T00ts