Raised in the UK - barred from university

Started by GBNews, June 24, 2020, 07:07:20 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Javert on June 25, 2020, 03:36:30 PM
Quote from: johnofgwent on June 25, 2020, 12:24:16 AMjust because we let you live here

This is a classic example of unconscious (or maybe even conscious) racial bias.

The assumption that a foreign child of a different race is only tolerated to live here just so long as the superior white masters allow it, and that if they don't like it they should be shipped back to the country their parents came from, and of course, if they so much step out of line they should be deported immediately whilst UK citizens commit various serious crimes and just get a slap on the wrist.

Where on earth is a person who has lived here since 12 years old and whose parents are still living here supposed to go?  It makes no sense to deny them a University place as it will decrease the chances of them paying their way in future.

Why does it makes sense for the tax payer to pay for a school place for this child, but not to provide them with a loan for university which they would then have to pay back when they are working?  If they are not entitled to taxpayer funded education, surely they should have been denied it all along?  If not, then it's racist, not to mention economically counterproductive, to deny it.

Not racist at all. We let all races in.

I'm guessing you havent worked outside the UK.

The country you want to work in sends you all sorts of threatening letters in their language not yours. You no speak the lingo ? Your problem getting it translated. Your expense.

The uk tax man also sends you a shitload of things threatening to tax your arse off if you F@@@ up.

And the NHS tells you if you stay away for more than two years kiss bye bye to free treatment if you come back.

I see no reason to treat those coming here any different to how I was treated by the EEC ....

And I rather doubt they were not told, both verbally and in writing, the steps they had to take to ensure their children had leave to remain.

Just another loudmouth trying to get for free what they were told to pay for.

No sympathy from me and F@@@ all to do with skin colour. Everything to do with being a citizen on paper. And nynthe way, if you dont like it, blame Ted the europhile Heath. HE took away the right to have a british passport by way of your mothers waters breaking when she had one foot on British or Colonial Soil

My passport handed to me in 1961 age three declared me a british subject : citizen of the united kingdom and colonies. I was happy to consider anyone with that my equal. Ted heath brought in the 1971 immigration act that fucked that over

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 04:25:39 PMThe parents had a duty of care to make proper arrangements for her continued education and if that included naturalisation then so be it. Suggesting perhaps it was denied them is simply a ploy to put us once again in the wrong. That's not fair.
And the report says:
QuoteAt the back of my mind I think I had an inkling of it - that this could be an issue.

And Javert is therefore making it up. But he's good at that.

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

The assumption that a foreign child of a different race is only tolerated to live here just so long as the superior white masters allow it, and that if they don't like it they should be shipped back to the country their parents came from, and of course, if they so much step out of line they should be deported immediately whilst UK citizens commit various serious crimes and just get a slap on the wrist.

Where on earth is a person who has lived here since 12 years old and whose parents are still living here supposed to go?  It makes no sense to deny them a University place as it will decrease the chances of them paying their way in future.

Why does it makes sense for the tax payer to pay for a school place for this child, but not to provide them with a loan for university which they would then have to pay back when they are working?  If they are not entitled to taxpayer funded education, surely they should have been denied it all along?  If not, then it's racist, not to mention economically counterproductive, to deny it.

Absolute rubbish. This has nothing to do with race whatsoever but is a citizenship matter .
Im  no expert in the ins and outs of education but its probably a legal (and moral) requirement as far as providing school  goes and not a legal requirement to provide university education for foreign nationals .

Its up to the families of these children to make sure they have everything they need to further their education . Bringing your kids to the UK should not mean you pass the cost of educating them onto the  UK taxpayer

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on June 25, 2020, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 03:43:48 PMCommitting or born to UK citizenship opens the doors to 'rights'. Surely it is not too much to expect. If parents come here and never make that committen then what more should they expect?  I am sure other countries would treat us the same in the same circumstances.

Perhaps but it's not the parents here who are being discriminated against it's children who've been effectively brought up here and feel that they are UK citizens, and cannot do anything about that themselves until it's too late.

Also how do you know the parents didn't want to be UK citizens - maybe it was denied them?

In my view, anyone who has been living here legally for a very long time should be able to become a citizen by a reasonably easy route.

Perhaps so, but it shouldn't be assumed. The child in question was not born here. The parents had a duty of care to make proper arrangements for her continued education and if that included naturalisation then so be it. Suggesting perhaps it was denied them is simply a ploy to put us once again in the wrong. That's not fair.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 03:43:48 PMCommitting or born to UK citizenship opens the doors to 'rights'. Surely it is not too much to expect. If parents come here and never make that committen then what more should they expect?  I am sure other countries would treat us the same in the same circumstances.

Perhaps but it's not the parents here who are being discriminated against it's children who've been effectively brought up here and feel that they are UK citizens, and cannot do anything about that themselves until it's too late.

Also how do you know the parents didn't want to be UK citizens - maybe it was denied them?

In my view, anyone who has been living here legally for a very long time should be able to become a citizen by a reasonably easy route. 

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on June 25, 2020, 12:24:16 AMjust because we let you live here

Committing or born to UK citizenship opens the doors to 'rights'. Surely it is not too much to expect. If parents come here and never make that committen then what more should they expect?  I am sure other countries would treat us the same in the same circumstances.

Javert

Nalaar

It certainly seems counterproductive to be denying university placements.

I worked  as an advisor for the Student Loans Company for a few years, the system can certainly be opaque at times, and I think it's understandable that some people will not be aware of their eligibility for funding etc.

I remember one specific case of a military person, who was stationed at a British base overseas with his family, and having to explain to him that his daughter was not eligible for funding (If I recall the details correctly) as she had not been resident in the U.K. in the last 3 years. I'm not aware how that case ended, but I would assume she got no funding.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

What Barry said.

The black lives matter squad are now out looking for the next ratchet to push at, and they think they've found it with "The Next Windrush Scandal"

Assuming you have the right to help yourself to the country's provision just because we let you live here doesn't wash.

My problem with the VAT man was when I was living in the UK, working in the UK and invoicing frenchmen.

Ironically when I went to france and belgium it was a doddle to put money in a Luxembourg account (!) as geting it converted to english pounds in england was a nightmare of 10% fees stolen by the english banks proportions

And they were more than happy to provide me with all sorts of documentation explaining my rights, post maastricht, pre lisbon.

That documentation was written in french though. Translation services were available at a fee ( i did not need them)

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Having lived in a foreign country for 17 years I always kept up to date on our status and the educational status of our children. I researched whether degrees from the foreign country would be valid in the UK before we went to live there.
If I can do it, why can't these kid's parents?
They only needed to look at their passports.
† The end is nigh †

GBNews

Raised in the UK - barred from university

Many immigrant teens grow up feeling "British", only to find that they aren't - and cannot legally work or study.

Source: Raised in the UK - barred from university