Estate agents ban the term "master bedroom"

Started by patman post, July 04, 2020, 05:55:01 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 04, 2020, 06:25:17 PM
∆∆∆

Bit like male and female fittings and bastard threads — perhaps the world that increasingly tolerates so much "anglo saxon" language in mainstream entertainment, is looking for other things to get concerned for others about...

I wonder what they will rename a bastard file, or that fine old engineering term a cock-up.  What happens when you have a piece of metal in a machine vice and take too big a cut and the metal moves in the vice. ( On a shaping machine you have to be very quick to stop the machine when it happen or a big disaster happens.)
(Other definitions are available.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

I bet Nick and our Forum admin, like me, in common with every other person who has ever installed a database or launched 'git', can't wait to see the new woke aware Visual Studio 2021 and Sql Server 2021.

I have seen snowflake murmurings on some technical fora already regarding the decades old convention of a master branch, table and master database and so on.

I did make the suggestion that it is time the profession moved on from assuming male domination, acknowledged the female penetration into the field and renamed each "mistress"

I think the British Computer Society might have revoked my old company's associate membership .... I can't log on any more.

More likely they finally got round to working out the company in question was would up eight years ago and I have not paid them a brass farthing in membership fees since .... !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 04, 2020, 06:25:17 PM
∆∆∆

Bit like male and female fittings and bastard threads — perhaps the world that increasingly tolerates so much "anglo saxon" language in mainstream entertainment, is looking for other things to get concerned for others about...

True. With all the f-ing and blinding in real life and the media, the only place you can't mention a C@@@ splice is in an estate agent's window or on an internet message board.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

∆∆∆

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 04, 2020, 05:55:01 PM

The Old Man's going to have a problem with his car renovation hobby — brake and wheel cylinders easily carry that name, but how's he going to refer to the master cylinder...?

Not just car renovation, master and slave are common terms across a wide range of engineering.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Maybe I've been conditioned by living and working too long in a British environment, but I do find this report (if true) distinctly OTT — or "political correctness gone mad":

Estate agents across the UK are banning the use of the term master bedroom due to its links with slavery and sexism.
Agents will instead replace the term with 'primary' or 'principal' bedroom, the Times reports.
Peter Wetherell, executive chairman of Wetherell in Mayfair, said the company was removing the term master bedroom on all of its listings in an attempt to appeal to more socially conscious buyers
He told The Times: "These changes are being driven by political correctness and dramatic transformations in the buyer demographic across prime central London.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/estate-agents-banned-from-saying-master-bedroom-due-to-concerns-over-slavery-and-sexism-links/ar-BB16kOve?ocid=mailsignout

The Old Man's going to have a problem with his car renovation hobby — brake and wheel cylinders easily carry that name, but how's he going to refer to the master cylinder...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...