Coronavirus: What happens when the furlough scheme ends?

Started by GBNews, July 09, 2020, 07:05:44 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

I have not seen the post javert refers to, but from my own research all those years ago on organ perfusion, where my research group was funded by defence budgets to try to workout ways to stop cold war chemical and bio weapons from taking down our troops ....

I am quite convinced the long term damage to anyone who has been hit by this virus will be a shortening of life expectancy akin to that faced by coal miners and a fairly sizeable winter cull of the afflicted awaits. Thisis particularly likely now the green lobby has got its way and the atmosphere has returned to the state it was in the fifties and sixties - with the weather, summer and winter - that we experienced in my childhood on the way back.

My employer has restarted production on a three shift system which means they'll have imported the eastern european agency workers again, probably from the same agency that sourced the ones that caused the resurgence in cases in the meat packing plants by their failure to social distance and share travelling arrangements. I suspect my workplace will be unsafe to re-enter for quite a while and i suspect it is no accident i am among the last remaining furloughed employees. As long as they have not recalled the designers, and are just building existing order parts, this is not a real concern. when they start building brand new parts, if they do not recall me, Iit will be P45 time shortly after, as it means they will have found my replacement.

Looking on the bright side, this will provide me ample free time to perfect my tools of retribution....

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Javert

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 13, 2020, 06:06:49 PMWell its good to be wanted but Im still under the doc  and knackered from the covid .  She reckons I might have post viral fatigue syndrome which the Mrs reckons is the same as pull yourself together you lazy bastard and go and get a job .

Im having some tests so we will have to see where Im at  but the doc says they are still learning about the long term effects though my symptoms are in line with what is being reported elsewhere .
As far as work goes there are bits and pieces about but I can't commit to anything at the moment with not being able to work more than one day without needing a couple of days rest to get over it

Where it will all end is anyones guess  .

This podcast is worth a listen - disease expert talks about his experience of long term Covid effects - seems like there is mounting evidence that quote a significant number of people who didn't even need to go to hospital, are getting relapses for way more than 2 weeks - this guy is over 100 days in.

The symptoms are many and varied, with fatigue being the most common, but the pattern seems to be as you describe - people report that after having the illness, they feel fine one day, but if they do anything remotely active they have a relapse with some of the symptoms coming back.

https://play.acast.com/s/the-bunker/-longcovid-anewandhiddencrisis

Needless to say, many of those who are not suffering with this will claim that it's just lazy people trying to get off work or whatever.

My wife seems to be also somewhat in this situation - she seems to be much better some days, but then relapses with some of the CV-19 symptoms coming back and also she is now getting tachycardia - heart rate suddenly goes up to 120 when you are just setting down dowing nothing etc.

Personally I am mostly fine after having it, but I do seem to detect some reduction of stamina - I used to go out running 4 or 5 times a week, but I'm now finding that after 2 runs in the week I feel really fatigued, so I think there is some kind of marginal long term effect on me as well.  The weird part is that I can still run just as far on one run, but I seem to be much more tired the next day than prior to having this illness.

Streetwalker

Well its good to be wanted but Im still under the doc  and knackered from the covid .  She reckons I might have post viral fatigue syndrome which the Mrs reckons is the same as pull yourself together you lazy bastard and go and get a job .

Im having some tests so we will have to see where Im at  but the doc says they are still learning about the long term effects though my symptoms are in line with what is being reported elsewhere .
As far as work goes there are bits and pieces about but I cant commit to anything at the moment with not being able to work more than one day without needing a couple of days rest to get over it 

Where it will all end is anyones guess  .

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on July 10, 2020, 09:03:24 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on July 09, 2020, 07:52:42 PM
We all sign on  :(

Well that looks like the prospect for the Mrs and the eldest . Guess I'll have to give the trowel a polish , again .

You are joking mate arent you?

Every builder i know is mad busy , my faither in law ( chippy) is back working three days a week and he should be retired.

If yer looking for a bit of work and dont mind travelling ( free beer and food plus lodgings thrown in ) i have a front extension needing done!

Sod off. SW is closer to me so I get first pick.

The Rural Slum is about to fall into the street, so if you are up for a bit of general pottering the whole place needs a bit of TLC.

Algerie Francais !

Good old

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 10, 2020, 05:50:15 AM
Quote from: Good old on July 09, 2020, 08:50:16 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on July 09, 2020, 08:22:30 PM
Quote from: Good old on July 09, 2020, 08:17:53 PM

That looks like the truth of it. The frightening thing about that is there will be an awful lot of rent, and  mortgages  not getting paid. It's the misery of unemployment . Saw it in the nineties, hoped not to see it again. But it could be unavoidable after what has happened .

I suspect it will be more like the 1930s.

I'm not quiet old enough to know . But I  think you are right. Its could be worse than anything the vast majority of us have ever  seen, or would have wanted to . It will take 1930s spending to get us out of it ,let's hope that doesn't end up where it did back then.

I'll take the 1930's over this shit any day. A three bedroomed semi detached house at the very, very edge of Cardiff cost £300. Well within the mortgage repayment capability of a Brewery Lorry Driver and his bride to be who left her job as the keeper of a pie making company's books and person at he end of the office phone to be his wife. The crash was 1929.

That may well have happened , but in general back then it wasn't a home owning society, in fact compared to now people owned or leased very little . No car, no fitted kitchen, etc. The suffering was no less because they had a lower starting point. We might appear to lose more , but we won't suffer any more. It's bad enough just to contemplate it getting as bad as then,  as the bottom line will be the same.

Thomas

Well that looks like the prospect for the Mrs and the eldest . Guess I'll have to give the trowel a polish , again .

You are joking mate arent you?

Every builder i know is mad busy , my faither in law ( chippy) is back working three days a week and he should be retired.

If yer looking for a bit of work and dont mind travelling ( free beer and food plus lodgings thrown in ) i have a front extension needing done!
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

That looks like the truth of it. The frightening thing about that is there will be an awful lot of rent, and  mortgages  not getting paid. It's the misery of unemployment . Saw it in the nineties, hoped not to see it again. But it could be unavoidable after what has happened .

Lets hope not , but credit where credit is due , both the scottish and westminster government have done a fine job of the financial side of covid 19 and the furlough scheme.

Inevitably though , the scheme cannot continue forever , and its time to get everyone back working and making money.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

johnofgwent

Quote from: Good old on July 09, 2020, 08:50:16 PM

I'm not quiet old enough to know . But I  think you are right. Its could be worse than anything the vast majority of us have ever  seen, or would have wanted to . It will take 1930s spending to get us out of it ,let's hope that doesn't end up where it did back then.

I'll take the 1930's over this shit any day. A three bedroomed semi detached house at the very, very edge of Cardiff cost £300. Well within the mortgage repayment capability of a Brewery Lorry Driver and his bride to be who left her job as the keeper of a pie making company's books and person at he end of the office phone to be his wife. The crash was 1929.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Good old

cromwell

Bloody hell mate are you well enough yet?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

GBNews

Coronavirus: What happens when the furlough scheme ends?

Nine million people have accessed the scheme, which now allows furloughed workers to come back part-time.

Source: Coronavirus: What happens when the furlough scheme ends?