Masks to be worn by everyone in public...?

Started by patman post, July 10, 2020, 06:43:59 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2020, 02:10:06 PM

Folk today are much kinder than they were, but much much duller.

Kinder today? You must be joking. Britain has got very nasty in the last 10 years.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2020, 02:10:06 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on July 25, 2020, 08:07:53 PM
Lets do some maths, Borchester has 18 per 100k that is 1440 London cases Barry has 12 and we had 10. Compared with yearly flu deaths with a vaccine hardly pandemic then. Which as is already widely admitted it was around from at least last November.

Let us have some history. When I was a lad we had half a dozen die in my street from the smog. And the coal fires. And the fags. And the 100 proof Army rum that appeared from God knows where but which was much appreciated.

well luckily for you Borchester, these new woke highly in debt new generation have bought new TV's and Washing machines, while you are on the list who needs saving or if not, bumping off.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on July 25, 2020, 08:07:53 PM
Lets do some maths, Borchester has 18 per 100k that is 1440 London cases Barry has 12 and we had 10. Compared with yearly flu deaths with a vaccine hardly pandemic then. Which as is already widely admitted it was around from at least last November.

Let us have some history. When I was a lad we had half a dozen die in my street from the smog. And the coal fires. And the fags. And the 100 proof Army rum that appeared from God knows where but which was much appreciated.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

QuoteThe Long, Unhappy History of Working From Home

As the coronavirus keeps spreading, employers are convinced remote work has a bright future. Decades of setbacks suggest otherwise.

QuoteThree months after the coronavirus pandemic shut down offices, corporate America has concluded that working from home is working out. Many employees will be tethered to Zoom and Slack for the rest of their careers, their commute accomplished in seconds.

Richard Laermer has some advice for all the companies rushing pell-mell into this remote future: Don't be an idiot.

A few years ago, Mr. Laermer let the employees of RLM Public Relations work from home on Fridays. This small step toward telecommuting proved a disaster, he said. He often couldn't find people when he needed them. Projects languished.

"Every weekend became a three-day holiday," he said. "I found that people work so much better when they're all in the same physical space."

IBM came to a similar decision. In 2009, 40 percent of its 386,000 employees in 173 countries worked remotely. But in 2017, with revenue slumping, management called thousands of them back to the office.

"Companies are saying working from home is working so well we're going to let people work from home forever," he said. "It's good P.R., and very romantic, and very unrealistic. We'll be back in the office as soon as there's a vaccine."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/technology/working-from-home-failure.html
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

I wasn't saying you in particular had said this whole episode was a con,but people do and have said that from the off saying it was no worse than a runny nose ,the sniffles or the flu,clearly IMO it isn't .

I would guess that advice from health authorities is inconsistent because it is a new virus and so little is known about its long term effects.

Of course people who own or manage shops see this as a barrier to trade,truth probably is the long term decline of the high street has accelerated rapidly because of this as people have found online shopping so much easier.

People who own commercial properties will suffer too,why would businesses that have large offices to maintain,the rent,heating and lighting,services for their employees,car park spaces and so much more continue when it's so much cheaper to see their staff work from home.

Finally if I did misunderstand Barry's post I have no problem in apologising and do so.

Cromwell come oan , you will always get piss takers wind up merchants etc in any given situation. The vast vast majority of folk despite the medias attempts to tarnish them are sensible and thoughtfull.

QuoteI would guess that advice from health authorities is inconsistent because it is a new virus and so little is known about its long term effects.

Exactly and this is what i am saying and many others . The data and advice changes day to day , and there are no certainties  including the advice on face masks.

Of course people who own or manage shops see this as a barrier to trade,truth probably is the long term decline of the high street has accelerated rapidly because of this as people have found online shopping so much easier.

Dont agree , and this is you merely regurgitating media spin.

We all know internet shopping has been on the increase , and the high street declining for years for many different reasons , but many shops and business remain in great shape or did so before coronavirus. Internet shopping isnt a replacement for things like clothes and shoes where you need to try them on first?

Internet shopping where for exampleyou order shoes , then have all the hassle of sending them back if they dont fit and then waiting weeks for a refund isnt easier than going in store and buying them. If online shopping was the be all and end all cure  , business would have closed all shops years ago .

QuotePeople who own commercial properties will suffer too,why would businesses that have large offices to maintain,the rent,heating and lighting,services for their employees,car park spaces and so much more continue when it's so much cheaper to see their staff work from home.

Again i dont agree , you are merely regurgitating media spin.

Working from home has been a mixed bag to say the least for many businesses. Some people can do it , some cant self motivate , and need the office environment to work.

A customer of ours who works for santander said to me the other week the bank had surveyed  thousands of staff working from home and the majority didnt enjoy it. Others enjoy not having to commute into big cities like edinburgh , glasgow or london.

Home schooling is another thing that has been a disaster for children , with many kids not reciving an education for months.

An elderly neighbour of mine hasnt been out the house in 16 or more weeks , and while he is no doubt safe from the virus , depression , hitting the bottle etc is taking its toll and in the end if it carries on will kill him rather than covid 19.

QuoteFinally if I did misunderstand Barry's post I have no problem in apologising and do so.

Cromwell you dont need to apologise , i was merely pointing out i thik you had picked barrys post up wrong.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

The town centre nearest to me after decades of decline has few shops left in it.  (It does have my dentist and optician, which are my only reasons for going there.)
It isn't case of shopping online just  being easier, it is now about the only place I can get what I need. (With the exception of food.)

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 10:31:11 AM
Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 10:14:50 AM

That's fair enough Thomas but just pointing out being obese and in a wheelchair isn't always that persons fault,knew a lovely lady pretty much like that in a wheel chair for years then nursing home till death she had multiple sclerosis.

I dont think barry or anyone else is suggesting it is the persons fault they are obese in any way cromwell.  The point is the other individual in the photo not wearing a mask isnt going to potentially kill the wheelchair bound person , but obesity , poor diet and many other health issues are.

Its funny though cromwell , i saw that smurf liked your post where you were defending ( among other things) the obese lady in the wheelchair , yet on another thread smurf is making fun of a politician for being obese ,calling said individual a "glurt porker"!

Some peoples hypocrisy never feckin change on this forum.
Political decisions? could be.....or even indecision as we have seen from Boris and co.
I have spoken with my GP many years in the job and extensively trained,she says that she thinks a mask helps but it's advice you should please yourself.

The other side to it of course i have spoken to many people who are friends or customers of mine who own or manage shops , and they blame masks and other covid policies as a barrier to trade.
I do and wear one and have done in enclosed areas almost from the off,why?well she's medically trained......Boris? don't think so.

Neither is nicola sturgeon medically trained , nor the majority of first ministers or leaders across the globe. People seem to be looking constantly for a safety valve that will stop them getting coronavirus , which as yet doesnt exist , and appear to have lost all sense of perspective  , rationality and ability to be able to manage risk.
I'm expected to believe the whole world has been conned

Who has said this to you?

Im simply saying health authorities and so called experts are all over the place on this subject thats all , rather then having a consistent policy that is set and has been set in stone.
I wasn't saying you in particular had said this whole episode was a con,but people do and have said that from the off saying it was no worse than a runny nose ,the sniffles or the flu,clearly IMO it isn't .

I would guess that advice from health authorities is inconsistent because it is a new virus and so little is known about its long term effects.

People who own commercial properties will suffer too,why would businesses that have large offices to maintain,the rent,heating and lighting,services for their employees,car park spaces and so much more continue when it's so much cheaper to see their staff work from home.

Finally if I did misunderstand Barry's post I have no problem in apologising and do so.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 10:14:50 AM

That's fair enough Thomas but just pointing out being obese and in a wheelchair isn't always that persons fault,knew a lovely lady pretty much like that in a wheel chair for years then nursing home till death she had multiple sclerosis.

I dont think barry or anyone else is suggesting it is the persons fault they are obese in any way cromwell.  The point is the other individual in the photo not wearing a mask isnt going to potentially kill the wheelchair bound person , but obesity , poor diet and many other health issues are.

Its funny though cromwell , i saw that smurf liked your post where you were defending ( among other things) the obese lady in the wheelchair , yet on another thread smurf is making fun of a politician for being obese ,calling said individual a "glurt porker"!

Some peoples hypocrisy never feckin change on this forum.
Political decisions? could be.....or even indecision as we have seen from Boris and co.
I have spoken with my GP many years in the job and extensively trained,she says that she thinks a mask helps but it's advice you should please yourself.

The other side to it of course i have spoken to many people who are friends or customers of mine who own or manage shops , and they blame masks and other covid policies as a barrier to trade.
I do and wear one and have done in enclosed areas almost from the off,why?well she's medically trained......Boris? don't think so.

Neither is nicola sturgeon medically trained , nor the majority of first ministers or leaders across the globe. People seem to be looking constantly for a safety valve that will stop them getting coronavirus , which as yet doesnt exist , and appear to have lost all sense of perspective  , rationality and ability to be able to manage risk.
I'm expected to believe the whole world has been conned

Who has said this to you?

Im simply saying health authorities and so called experts are all over the place on this subject thats all , rather then having a consistent policy that is set and has been set in stone.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 09:56:32 AM
Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 09:50:20 AM

So because someone is overweight and in a wheelchair the inference is they are endangering the other persons health.
So practically every country in the world  and the WHO think wearing a mask helps contain the virus,you disagree......fine.
When seat belts were introduced the reaction was similar......and now?
Crash helmets,health and safety.....yep everyone's taken the piss.
Ever seen safety mechanisms overridden? makes the job easier dunnit,till things go wrong,and they do.

I dont think thats right cromwell. The inference seems to be that the person in the wheelchair is already putting their own health at risk by being obese rather than any danger from the other individual not wearing a face mask.

As for wearing face masks , dont know how true it is but on many scottish sites , they were saying the WHO changing their stance on face masks was a political decision rather than a medical one.

As far as im aware , the jury is still out on how effective face masks can be in stopping the spread of the virus. I have read as many article against wearing them as for wearing them.
I've come across some right tossers since all this began from those who think it's funny to cough long and loud in your direction to those who thought it was ok to get in your face and space because I want that off that shelf and you're in my way.
Social distancing,masks, lockdowns yeah I've seen arguments for and against and I'm expected to believe the whole world has been conned and its nowt worse than the flu,people will believe what they wish but no one in their right mind would've asked for all this.

papasmurf

Ever seen safety mechanisms overridden? makes the job easier dunnit,till things go wrong,and they do.

Over the years I have known many people who should have had I did it my way on their coffin and/or gravestone.

Thomas

So because someone is overweight and in a wheelchair the inference is they are endangering the other persons health.
So practically every country in the world  and the WHO think wearing a mask helps contain the virus,you disagree......fine.

I dont think thats right cromwell. The inference seems to be that the person in the wheelchair is already putting their own health at risk by being obese rather than any danger from the other individual not wearing a face mask.

As for wearing face masks , dont know how true it is but on many scottish sites , they were saying the WHO changing their stance on face masks was a political decision rather than a medical one.

As far as im aware , the jury is still out on how effective face masks can be in stopping the spread of the virus. I have read as many article against wearing them as for wearing them.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on July 23, 2020, 10:42:40 AM
Who is endangering who's health?

Sheepy

At a wild guess they are not going to stop until they get a worldwide massive guaranteed debt of epic proportions, which they are winning hands down.

Borchester

Quote from: Sheepy on July 25, 2020, 07:10:40 PM
QuoteKids' stuff. We are running at 18 per 100,000.

I don't want to be rude Sheepy, but you provincials really must try harder.

you might be right, but as I notice certain things, have you noticed it is remain who have become the Totalitarians, who were trying to convince us leave  were the Totalitarians.

True.

Speaking to various remainer friends I have gotten the impression that while they accept that the hoi polloi are of course the salt of the earth, they are not entirely sure that the common folk should really be trusted with the vote.
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Well repeating a narrative doesn't make it so as I kindly pointed out. By the way did you know there are 1440 topics how odd is that, lol.